DS MK2 via USB

Today I did the shootout between the Farad powered Matrix with Dragon HDMI thru I2S and the straight to USB again using the same ChordMusic USB cable on the MK2 and it’s the same conclusion. The straight to USB is more natural and richer sounding. The Matrix I2S sounds a little chalkier and a little more dryness to the sound. You can really hear it on the DSD 256 recording of “A Wind Invisible Rembrandt Trio”. track 7, (Goodby If Only). You can really hear the clean purity of the highs and the natural grunt of the low frequencies running straight to USB. It’s not night and day, but the extreme high resolution of the MK2 makes these differences more oblivious than it should be. If I didn’t hear it with the USB input, I’d been very happy with the I2S. The I2S input is extraordinary good, but in my system USB is the way to go. As I sad before, too many parts does not make the sound purer. As before, my PST played thru the other I2S input with my second Dragon HDMI cable does not approach the sound of my Esoteric playing the files of the same music thru USB or Matrix I2S for that matter. Since I don’t have 2 USB inputs, I think I will retire my Matrix I2S to my Mac Mini doing video duties.

5 Likes

But Luca, I don’t use a USB or i2s cable between my Streamer and DAC. I don’t use any cable at all. My Roon endpoint and DAC are in the same box.

Neener Neener Neener!!!

2 Likes

Ops! Too late!

Yes not arguments for you Al, the MU1 and the Ethos are keeping you immune from that!

Are you converting the output of your Statement with the Matrix?

I am no longer using the Ethos as a DAC. I am using the DAC in the BACCH-SP adio. It is also my Roon endpoint. Right now I am having issues with my MU1 that result in me only using it as a Roon server. I am sad about that but the BACCH more than makes up for it.

3 Likes

Sorry all, my bad!

A clarification is needed:

1 - As I reported in my “review” above in this thread showing my thoughts in a number sheet: I definitely consider USB and I2S excellent and both good options for MK II owners, maybe liking more USB for an “analog” feeling, while liking I2S at the same time for its sound very clean and open.

2 - I wrote the sentence above (you are quoting)

“Sorry Al, here I declare: I can attest with my right hand up that I2S is and will be better

as a humorous disclaimer, after that Al suggested in a previous post to a member to publicly attest preferences only to I2S

“But tell everyone you use I2S so they leave you alone”

3 - The misunderstanding is due to the long distance between the 3 different related posts but if you re-read all chronologically ordered it’s clearer. Or my humor is simply bad this time!

Sorry again.

Anyhow, to answer your question: yes I used these connections to compare I2S to USB

• Statement > Pink Faun USB Cable > MK II USB input
  • Statement > same USB cable > Matrix (without LPS) > Dragon 48 HDMI > I2S #1 input
2 Likes

Wow! I have to read all the BACCH posts that I was frankly skipping (in my MK II test immersive last days) if you have really put your MU1/Ethos in stand by it means this new stuff is something BIG!
I’m going to study next days.
Thanks

2 Likes

I am already well into the decision. It’s a bit more of an expense for me since I don’t have any Mac gear. I need to get a mini M2 Pro and an iPad. I don’t know anything about iPads so I am reading about them. It looks like either the 11" Pro with 512GB RAM looks would be a good choice. The 256GB Air looks nice too.

The thought of going to an Apple store is paralyzing but I may have to so I can be certain. I wonder if the genius I meet there will be a genius.

4 Likes

Vince

iPads all work the same it just depends on how thin you want them and whether or not they are a “work” device or not. For just streaming duties a “standard” iPad will do the job. Chances are if you go to an Apple store in todays environment you will not find a genius.

2 Likes

Something for you all to keep in mind as you make these comparisons. Unless I am misremembering or plain mistaken about what Ted has explained re MkII, USB has one meaningful advantage: the DAC’s own master clock is in control of the overall rate of data flow meaning that it won’t have to make any adjustments to keep pace (with itself).

On I2S, the DAC has to observe and react to the flow of data from the transport and adjust its own clock to match the transport’s speed. This is one of those processes which makes frequent adjustments initially but less often as it gets closer and closer to the transport’s average.

If you are making comparisons with USB, try to let your I2S listening settle in for at least a few minutes. I suspect that going quickly back and forth will handicap I2S, even if only a tiny bit.

3 Likes

While the Matrix or similar device might have been an important addition to some with the original DS Ted has gone to great lengths to equalize the inputs. At this point substituting a $499 dollar DDC will not impact the sound quality in the same way as using the USB output from streamers of the level that Luca, Vince and others are using. The power supplies alone in Luca’s Innuos Statement are worth multiples of the cost of a Matrix.

4 Likes

Thanks, that makes sense. Reading the specs, there’s a lot of similarities. I do like the idea of the Pro’s display.

I was in an Apple store in 2019 with our daughter and was standing at a very large table with several other people all being helped by geniuses. I was left with two impressions. 1) Most people seem to not know what they are doing; 2) Most people seem to not know what they are doing.

3 Likes

I get enamored with the new features too and then tell myself they are just streaming control points and not real work devices so just buy what I know is needed for the task. In reality we just pull up albums and push play.

1 Like

Yes, but the control of the VCXO speed is filtered with a time constant around 1 second, and the input to that filter only changes at max about 3 to 10 times a second (the VCXO speed control routine is called by the UI - I just told Barry to call it around 3 to 10 times a second :slight_smile: ) and after a little the VCXO only gets adjusted with a period measured in minutes. It’s a big win to not pay attention to phase or even the input frequency.

8 Likes

Isn’t it amazing how when you really feel like you’re hitting your stride? It comes from the longer you study something, really dig in and focus on something, and enjoy it at the same time. This can take years to happen. IMHO I think that’s where you are now Ted, hitting your stride. Your thoughts about where the various subsystems in a DAC can either be refined or reinvented based on your years of experience are aligned with the recent availability of outstanding components and software. It seems like the only limit is hours in the day. I hope you are having a blast.

The MKII sounds wonderful, I can’t imagine what you are cooking up for the TSS. Maybe a subcortex interface to the DAC. :brain:

3 Likes

Each time I go to an Apple store I find a genius, yes myself! And I’m for sure not a tech dude at all!
As always happens nowadays when you have to speak with a 20yo shop assistant and ends up that YOU have to explain HIM/HER how a stuff works!

Am I growing old?

6 Likes

I think you are right, not to mention the USB output itself of the Statement sports lots of qualities that certainly are playing a role.

1 Like

To be clear, I could happily live also with I2S, the MK II is really impressive both the ways. As I stated above it’s a question of tastes at this point, not judging if one is better than the other.

I played I2S/Matrix 4 times at the moment, each time for a few days continuously. The same once I then switched the input on USB.

I can clearly hear a subtle difference (even blinding testing) but nothing sounds better, just different. I got bigger differences, as already said, managing grounded/lifted setting (I discovered after Paul and Ted video).

I’m looking forward to what Ted can create to improve an already excellent component by software steps: shorting circuits unused at your choice first of all, general firmware upgrades as already experimented with MK I secondly.

3 Likes

What usb cable are you currently using?

I would also appreciate hearing from people as to which USB cable they are using. I have one of the upper-end Wireworld HDMI’s waiting for the eventual arrival of the Airlens, but nothing too fancy in the house in terms of USB - pangea, kimber, AQ Carbon.

1 Like