DSD Mk II - What Streamer?

In case you haven’t seen it, HighFidelity.pl has a review of the new Lumin U2.
Chrome does a very good job of translating it to English.

https://highfidelity.pl/@main-4413

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll read it when I get home.

Edit: I just finished reading the review. It is a very positive one, and it does exactly what I wanted from a streamer. In addition to the optimal USB outputs, It provides a optical input too. The best part is it is at a considerable lower price than the others in my list.

1 Like

Hi ozon8r,
Anxiously awaiting for my MKII (another couple of weeks I was told). While I wait, I have been considering other streaming options for the day my MKI is retired (currently using the Bridge II). I’ve had my eye on the Rose 150b for quite some time which seem very well designed and gets good reviews (the other option is the AirLens which is yet to be released). With regards to the Rose 150, I would use it as a Roon endpoint connecting with my NAS (and bypassing its own internal DAC). I was intrigued by the fact that it had I2S output capabilities - there is an I2S-DVI and I2S-RJ45 option. Are you saying that the DVI I2S option wouldn’t allow you to pass the digital signal directly to the MKII without some internal digital manipulations by the 150b’s internal DAC (or that simply some additional internal unit configuration is needed)? I’m not married to the idea of using I2S (or at least until I can do a sound comparison), but would like an unadulterated option. Seems like something that I should discuss with Rose tech support before I make a final decision.

What about the Rose 250? No DAC right?

For those of you who are interested in Innuos Pulse or Pulsar, I got answer back from Innuos N. America sales manager from my question regarding playing music files:

"In terms of playback you will not be able to playback from an attached USB drive, this is the same format we use in our server lineup as well. The Pulsar will be able to play files from a network attached storage or from the available streaming services we have integrated, Tidal & Qobuz. If you have a good amount of files you are looking to playback it may be better to choose from one of the units in our existing ZEN series such as the ZENith. Those units can have a USB drive plugged into them and they can import those files to the internal storage for playback."

Regarding Arunder N20, this question was asked as of which output is the best to use, and this is their answer in FAQ:

Due to the nature of asynchronous USB audio connections, in the case of USB connections, the DAC’s clock is in control of the flow of information. However, with W20, W20SE, N10, and N20 the SPDIF and AES/EBU outputs are driven by a best-in-class “OCXO” clock which results in ultra low jitter. It is one of the most precise clocks available for audio. So, if you have one of those models, you really ought to at least try using something BESIDES USB! You may be in for a major treat…

With MK2, I am confident USB will sound as good as any other output from N20. However, N20 is double the cost of N200 because of the internal OCXO clock and the AES output that I will not use. My interest is to use USB. So, it is a waste to spend extra to get N20. But N20 shoud privide better SQ than N200 regardless of which output in use.

I am leaving in a couple of days for a 10 days’ Asia vacation, I need a break to clear my mind as of which to get among Innuos Pulsar, Arunder N20, and Lumin U2. :ok_man:

Of course, It also depends on how much my boss will have left for me to spend too! :joy:

7 Likes

You are correct. It doesn’t have the I2S outputs either (would be nice to choose between the two). The 250 was highly rated in Stereophile and definitely easier on the pocketbook. Really comes down to feature that you want/need.

Like you, I have been streamer shopping for some time know. The quality USB input on the MkIl has certainly opened the field as my original focus was on I2s connections only. The range has widened and my head spinning with choices. I like the all-in-on approach with a single unit server/streamer. The Aurender N200, Innuos Zenith Mk3, and Auralic G2.1 all shine in this light but I easily go back and forth like a teenage love affair. Maybe AXPONA will make choice more obvious. I am currently on vacation and what’s left in the kitty might be the biggest factor. Enjoy Asia, been there many times.

5 Likes

If this helps I really like the stability and ease of use of the Innuos Sense app.

3 Likes

There was a firmware update that addressed the polarity issue going from I2S via DVI. And my issue went away when I only used one connection from the Rose to the DAC even before the MK2 firmware update. I very much enjoy the Rose150b feeding the MK2 but still using the USB between the two components.

According to posts in this forum, and unlike what people have said about the MK1, there shouldn’t be any difference in the performance between the I2S and the USB connections. As such, the price difference between the 250 and the 150 and the ability to feed music via USB would lead me to the 250 even though the screen is smaller. If I had not already owned the 150 and was in the market, I probably would choose the 250 to pair with the MK2.

You are going to love the MK2, whether you go for either Rose or wait for the Airlens to hit the market.

1 Like

I have the N150 and and really like it a lot until I can upgrade to the N200. Conductor App is great. I installed a 4TB internal drive which you do from the back of the unit. Loading files to it is so easy and sounds great!

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m looking to replace a WIN 10 laptop/Jriver MC. I’m hoping to get a major SQ improvement. I’m glad to hear you like the Conductor App. JRMC is a great UI.

1 Like

I have an A Capella III in my chain and couldn’t be more pleased–I’ve hardly listened to my CDs or LPs since installing it…

2 Likes

Waiting on an MKII. Just upgraded from a NODE to Innuos ZenMini w/ LPSU. Currently using a Qutest. Wow…just wow. I was a skeptic of what a change in streamer could mean…clearly, I was wrong.

5 Likes

I’ve recently switched from a 2Qute to a MK2. Although a night and day difference, it never ceased to amaze me how good that little Chord is. It really is able to present every Improvement one makes upstream.
Having upgraded your streaming, prepare for upcoming surprises and yourself smiling (extra)!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH

N200 is amazing, I can recommend it for sure

3 Likes

This looks very interesting:

Qobuz, Tidal, locally stored files, BBC Sounds, Spotify Connect, Airplay, and Roon. If it has UPnP, I can’t imagine what else most people would need.

It also has a PhoenixUSB Lite Reclocker.

4 Likes

Mmm Vince, is it your @dchang05 welcome home? ASIA - Chicago flights must be checked within the weekend, I suspect.

3 Likes

This is pretty much everything he’s been wanting.

3 Likes

…maybe a loan? Kidding aside, this has been anticipated for some time, the Pulse sounded mighty fine to these ears. My wallet is thankful for the delay as I jumped on a second Innuos ZEN MKIII as an alternative streamer at a nice price. It was knocking on the door of the Pulse to these ears, good enough for casually exploring new releases.

1 Like