Fave listening chair?

Great; was wondering about cover durability b/c my son is in the market for a good office/work chair.

I have been very pleased with the Steelcase Gesture.

1 Like

Yes - this is not on Topic for the Thread strictly speaking, though I think it would make a great Listening Chair as well. I did in fact try it at one point. However, as an office chair, for most stereo setups, even at its fully lowest point, it sits you significantly higher than a typical ā€œlistening chairā€ like the Eames (which is comfy, but which I have difficulty getting out of, being 6ā€™3"). This would obviously vary depending on the distance from your butt to your ears.

This is an Embody, which easily smoked the Aeron for me. Dunno about the rest, many of which are new to me.

2 Likes

I used an Aeron for quite some time as an office chair. I actually never did like it.

2 Likes

Used an Aeron chair in my office since 2004. The arm rest cracked after 16 years and the warranty was only 12 years, so forced to buy another one.

Itā€™s really designed for desk work - the cantilever provides the support directly under the base of the spine, which is why it works - and also where a chunk of the cost is.

Bought my son one for lockdown.

Thatā€™s what I used it for, at work. Didnā€™t like it. :man_shrugging:

Your post was right on topic for me. I lift my favorite listening chair on blocks that are 8 inches high to lift me out of a bass room node. I thought of shopping for an adjustable barber chair. Now I may look for an acceptable looking adjustable low back office chair. Thinking I can simply roll it out of a corner when I get into serious listening mode.

6 Likes

Might be worth a look. And be potentially less hazardousšŸ˜ Iā€™d though about finding a barber chair before as well.

Have to measure your ear height now and be sure the office chair goes that high as well - just as mine wonā€™t go low enough for my stereo.

Iā€™d imagine the mbls are less fussy with regard to ear height vs. regular drivers. I could raise my speakers, but like where they are and what theyā€™re on, and have a decent comfy listening chair.

2 Likes

You are correct with the MBLā€™s as less fussy with the mids and high frequency range but bass waves under 100hz are the same for every speaker. My rooms is large but the 8ft height creates funky bass nodesā€¦and 8 inches in height lifts me out of one of those nodesā€¦

3 Likes

Klaussner swivel glider is THE chair.
Well padded with great support and perfect arm rest height. It swivels and rocks. It has a lower back so the rear wall reflections are not blocked.
I promise it will be you favorite music listening chair!
https://www.klaussner.com/klaussner-swivel-chair/12-swgl-328/renderimage.aspx?BODY=ABIE%20IVORY&WallColor=&FloorColor=&FloorCovering=&TrimColor=&WallHeight=50&TrimHeight=5&_rwidth=0&_rheight=0

1 Like

Ooh, thatā€™s a nice looking chair! Where does one get such a thing?

Hey, thereā€™s a furniture retailer near me that carries Klaussner!

Go to the Klaussner.com web site. Search for swivel glider chair. Not inexpensive, but neither is it exorbitant. it is so good it will be an heirloom.

Archie-

1 Like

More sounds are produced from sitting in this chair than heard while sitting in this chair. :drooling_face:
Just looking for a balanced headphone extension cable to run over to it.

2 Likes

I bet some of the sounds are less than polite sounding :grimacing:

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been wondering if the table next to the chair is a mini-fridge.

1 Like

Last November I got myself a Stressless Admiral with the upgraded tilt/swivel base. Found a dealer in my city that was actually willing to discount them. Great guy. We talked a bit about Magneplanars when he delivered the chair and set it up in the listening room.

The chair has pretty firm padding, which Iā€™m liking, and decent lumbar support, though not as pronounced as the lumbar support in the IKEA Poang it replaced (the painterā€™s tape on the floor marks where the back of the Poang skids were). The top of the headrest when itā€™s at its lowest is the same height for me as the top of the Poang, right at ear-lobe height, so no damage done there. Best of all, it sits considerably higher than the Poang, which makes it easier to get out of, and it puts my ears very close to the midpoint of the Maggies, making the aural image sound a bit taller.

14 Likes

Nice choice. It is supper critical to get your ear in the middle of the membrane on Maggieā€™s, which you apparently know. Now, do you have the stock stands, or do you have them off the floor? Didnā€™t want you to get too comfortable :wink:.

Canā€™t get around the high back. I donā€™t like backstops. Looks comfy though.

This one does both. Its stupid expensive. Its about damn time I order one. Thanks for the inspiration! Iā€™ll order it today.

7 Likes

Happy Cake Day!

3 Likes

@straightwire
Happy
day!

1 Like