Fave listening chair?

badbeef, I had an Ikea chair (high back) like PSA had in their listening room , in the old building. The difference with and without the back was obvious.

1 Like

Yeah, back when Paul did his videos about the construction of the old music room One In the former building, I gave him a hard time for the headrests on his Poang chairs. I had the same one, and had cut the head rest off, which is fortunately easy and not too destructive to the aesthetics of the chair.

It is more about imaging, and not as much about frequency response.

If what you just were even close to being true, using omnidirectional mics with DSP to adjust for room acoustics would not work.

An enough with the “Doesn’t mean the rest of us can’t hear it” elitism…

Proper stereo imaging does not rely on sounds bouncing off the back walls…

Not intended as elitism. Just saying, if you don’t hear it, enjoy!

No, but it is very much affected by sounds bouncing off stuff right behind your head.

Any sound bouncing off the chair would be so immediate that its would not affect imaging. What it would affect, is frequency amplitudes at that location. Yet measuring both the right and left speakers individually show virtually no change. Go back to the drawing board on this one. Some chair may make a big difference. Mine does not…

Bueno. Please share, or re-share your Fave Chair.

I’m off to the plastic surgeon to get these acoustically useless flaps of skin removed from the sides of my head, as they’re too close to the holes in my head to make a difference. They do do a decent job of keeping my glasses on though.:man_shrugging:t2:

7 Likes

Those were good days. Just saw the bottle of Buffalo Trace next to my chair. Good days.

Ahhh this is a great line. Hahaha. Good laugh.

And the White Sox banner!

Always. Gonna be a good year. Just got Ron Kittle’s book in the mail. Getting ready for the season. Just hope I don’t need to watch from a hospital bed.

1 Like

Someone posted the Herman Miler Embody. The best computer chair bar none. The best listening chair? Well of course the Herman Miller Eames lounge! Google their website. Two different purposes but IMO they make the best chairs in the world.

That was me. Though the Embody doesn’t go as low as I would like, it doesn’t interfere sonically. I find the Eames really hard to get out of, and a bit too low and laid back. Even the Poang chair I used to use I thought leaned back a bit too much, so I put blocks under the rear of the legs to tilt it up some. And cut the headrest off. But that’s me🤷🏻‍♂️

Totally agree. I love the Eames but at my age I kind of get stuck in it and could use a hand. The embody goes too low for me though. Are you like 5’? I have it about 1/2 way. I would go even higher but my knees hit my desk. I am only 6’3". I can see if someone was 6’7" it would not go high enough. I also have trouble with the slide seat. I can never get it right. It is either touching my inside knees or way to far in. Do you have the vented fabric? I could not tell. I have a few with that but found they do not wear good at all. A lot of people at my company have them. Actually they are offered to all higher level employees. It is the only computer chair I would ever sit in. Also the envelop sit/stand desk is the best but sadly discontinued. If you can still find one probably get it for $500. At least you do not have to mess with an awful keyboard tray. This stuff fits like gloves. I can see the sonics with the embody but I am not sure about the posture for non computer use. I can try because the Eames is getting tough on me already. It is very comfy once in but after hours I am glued in it. I honestly have to get on the floor to get up! I am only 61! If you wonder why we have Teenagers my wife is younger. I am glad badbeef that you can understand my lifestyle and do not disrespect me like some others. I go to work that’s all. Please do not start again you folks. I was just commending badbeef.

For use as a listening chair, the Embody does not go low enough for me. I am 6’3", and have my HSL5’s on what is considered to be “correct” height stands from Sound Anchors that are only 17" tall. This puts the tweeters (not the super tweeters) at around 36", which works pretty well for the average lounge chair. With the Embody all the way down, my ears are around 42" - way too high - unless I recline quite a bit. So - not perfect for this setup, sadly.

I get your ears but aren’t your knees in your chest? I am not willing to sacrifice that much for good sound. I have one heck of a system and listen to it completely off axis. I could care less. I enjoy it as much as I want to. Good equipment still sounds better but I am no fanatic. That is odd you are same height as I am. It is only odd because it is kind of tall. Not like basketball tall but above the norm percentile. Putting bricks under the Eames is something I am about to do though. Off to Home Depot. That was a good idea. thanks.

Kinda confused, as with the Embody all the way down, it is taller than the average lounge chair, and I can still put my legs up on a footstool in any case. If I was sitting in an Eames my knees would be higher than that.

I guess that would depend on if you sit correctly in the Eames or slouch in it. I already said it is uncomfortable, However so is the Embody too low IMO. My pump bar is raised about 3-1/2". Which is not even a lot. Flat, my knees would be in my chest. I would go higher but when I pull the Envelop forward my knees will hit it. Today Lawyers mostly use computers for all their research. I do have a big business desk to meet clients. It has a cheap leather chair.

This chair! Klaussner Swivel/Glider or stationary chair. The most comfortable chair I’ve found for shorter people (34" W x 36" D x 33" H). Mine is Yellow. It’s my “command” chair! Wife approved! Easily moved, cushy, yet fully supports. [Not affiliated with the manufacturer.]

1 Like

At live symphony, I found the sound was better without my glasses on. I wear none now post cataract surgery. Later, I think I saw in The Absolute Sound had a mention about the effects of wearing glasses while listening. Huh! :wink: