Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

Thank you @tedsmith for your hard work! Just updated to Antero. I can report that I heard a fuller bodied sound acrossed the spectrum. As if the volume control got raised about 1-2db? Overall great improvment.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using a MAC, yet regardless of extractors utilized, cannot open the files.

Can anyone with a MAC, who successfully unzipped the files, share them (e.g., via Google Drive)?

Thank you,
Guy

Nice! We are hearing the same thing!

1 Like

hmm, that means our system are probably voiced similarly. Now I need to take a closer look at it!

I just installed the Master fuse in P15. Frankly whatever I heard last night was all gone. The sound is better than 6 hours ago, but it is veiled and a bit harsh, and I expect a long break in on this one too.

Please post a screenshot of the folder and file to be unzipped,I have a suspectā€¦

Thatā€™s what I suspected and afraid ofā€¦ sounds like a M-1 is a better candidate for my next tweak. The Gustard fuse is burning-in inside the P15, itā€™s voiced inā€¦ let me put it this way, itā€™s like two Chefs, one is a chinese Si Chuang chef, he likes it spicy and everything has a bit of a fire, this is the Gustard. the other is like a good italian Chef, he prefers to let the ingredients do the talking/tasting, this is the SR Purple.

The Gustard can wow you on first listen, but for long listening sessions, Iā€™d prefer the Purple or stock fuse. Your mileage would vary, but given how we are hearing the same things with the new FPGA codes, it would probably be your findings as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! Now we can stop hijacking FW updates thread! :sunglasses:

Thatā€™s how people roll here like time I checked :sweat_smile::joy:

1 Like

Here are the files extracted from the zip file. I hope this helps.

fpga1_198_Antero.bin (1.2 MB)
How to Upgrade DSD MK2 firmware.txt (3.2 KB)
image.bin (654.7 KB)

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a minor problem with the first file in the Zip file (image.bin). It has extended date information that is invalid. Both the creation date and the last accessed date are set to 1/1 in the year 1601. (The values are set to zero.) This is probably outside the range that the MacOS file system accommodates and may cause problems on any operating system that isnā€™t Windows. Someone at PS Audio should probably rebuild the Zip file with a better Zip utility. If possible, simply leaving off the extended time stamps which are optional ā€” and unnecessary in this case.

In the meantime, as a workaround the files extract for me without incident using the Archive Utility which appears to ignore the extended time stamps. Just right click on the Zip file in Finder, select ā€œOpen withā€ from the context menu, and then ā€œArchive Utilityā€ from the list of options. This will create a folder with the same name as the Zip file, and put the extracted files into that folder.

Or, you could just download the files that someone kindly posted here in this topic. :wink:

3 Likes

I know thereā€™s a Paul joke in there somewhere.

BTW - Welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Thank you.

Guy

1 Like

My update worked first time, no probs. Now Iā€™m running ā€œAnteroā€!
Unfortunately, I blew a wooferā€¦
Thanks TedSmith!

still no go here, hopefully PS will be able to send me oneā€¦

@jll37

very much appreciate all the helpā€¦my computer simply does not like any of the downloadsā€¦though my DSll is only a few days old, probably the last 179 out of the factoryā€¦so lots of breaking in to do anywayā€¦Iā€™ll either get PS to send me a downloaded USB or a friend will visit with a PC laptopā€¦Iā€™ve spent enough time on this, though many thanks to allā€¦

Thanks. Happy to be hereā€¦

2 Likes

If you email James he will send you the raw not zipped files via email.

Iā€™m a little perplexed by the inability to unzip the files in the Apple world. As an experiment, I downloaded on my iPad, unzipped and emailed myself the unzipped files. Worked perfectly. Maybe, for those having problems, if you have portable iDevices, try it.