Firmware updates and fixes for the new Directstream MK2

Agreed. I spent decades saying GUI or CLI Now I say which (type of wood) or (mild or spicy )? I don’t miss the corporate insanity one bit.

1 Like

I loved being a Release/Devops Engineer. Just not the corporate BS that came along with it.

1 Like

But the real question, if the user has the forum-member-contributed cheat sheet printed out and uses it for reference while manipulating the mk2’s buttons/wheel (or whatever it has) while also looking at the display, might this qualify as a poor-man’s GUI??

[tongue-in-cheek]

2 Likes

Ha ha

Ted, I just realized I am still cruising along on 2.3.3 and fpga code 179. :hushed: I mostly used the MK2 with the PST to play SACDs. So many of the problems that people have with streaming and the USB port does not effect me. I do, however, plan to download 2.5.1 and run it. I see it contains fpga code 208. I am willing to try 208, but if I really prefer not having the extra filter that you mention above is there any way I can run 2.5.1 with fpga code 179?

It should work. Someone correct me if I am wrong. But you have to purposefully update the FPGA. Just putting it on a USB will not make your MK2 update the FPGA code. Automatic update is only for the PS Audio firmware (e.g., 2.5.1). I had fun testing different FPGAs for Ted to see if my system glitched while he was working on solving pops. So I collected a few different FPGAs. As a side effect of Ted’s anti-pop efforts, I found the versions after 179 to sound better on my system. So I would be surprised if you thought 179 sounded better. It might just be that you have been missing out on some extra MK2 enjoyment.

1 Like

Hi Ted, when do you expect the next update will be released?

It’s not Ted’s call. Paul and PS Audio determine when the next release is ready.

Ok, I thought Ted will have some insights. Thanks.

In the other Thread I asked Paul if they could separate out the fireware update from the UI update and post what Ted has ready. Paul said he would check.

3 Likes

The DirectStream MK2 I ordered on 31 January 2023 arrived yesterday. I had a Roon playlist all ready for the occasion. The first track, a DSD 128 recording, sounded wonderful. Unfortunately the second track was PCM 192/24. My enthusiasm diminished rapidly as a loud hash noise accompanied the DSD to PCM transition.

While I’ve been patient and understanding regarding the PS Audio supply chain issues which delayed delivery, it does not justify the lack of progress on software updates. No DAC, let alone an $8K one, should exhibit such a sonic fault.

Apparently Ted has an updated FPGA load that rectifies this but PS Audio is dragging their feet releasing it. I find this unacceptable considering the UI and FPGA can supposedly be released independently. I’m sorry to say that if this isn’t remedied within the 30 day evaluation window this DAC will be making the trip back to Boulder.

10 Likes

Lots I agree with there

1 Like

I may know of a dCS Bartók w/Headphone option that could be available in ~30 days.

1 Like

Lots of options out there and I would start looking at them.

I feel your pain, and why would one wait 30 days if you are truly dissatisfied. This is why they offer a trial period with a return option.

2 Likes

It sounds to me like Ted’s new code and new FW from PSA are pretty darn close. Certainly if it does not appear soon from PSA, or no one official reaches out to you, post here again before sending the MK2 back!

Am curious actually, what firmware and FPGA levels were shipped to you?

You’re too kind! A dCS Bartok Apex would be an excellent alternative but it is a bit outside my budget. Plus the headphone option is of no interest to me. The high trade in value of my DirectStream Sr, $3500 when I ordered the MK2, combined with years of enjoyment made it a very attractive upgrade.

Truly dissatisfied is a bit harsh. Sadly disappointed is more accurate. There is an elegance in Ted’s solution I admire and appreciate. The soundstage is wonderful but the sonic assault upon DSD to PCM transition is a dealbreaker. A new FPGA load has been available for the better part of a month yet has not been released. The ball is in PS Audio’s court.

1 Like

I get the impression Ted would release the updated FPGA load if it were up to him, but it’s not. His track record of fixes/improvements is not in question.

My MK2 shipped with Version 2.5.1 dated 04/12/2023 with FPGA Antero v208.

1 Like

from the release notes with current firmware…

Version 2.5. 0
Date
04 11 2023
FPGA 2 08

Firmware 2.5.0 with bundled FPGA Antero release v 2 08.
FPGA release 208 fixes occasional issues with clicks and pops, especially on the USB input. DSDMK2 release 2.5.0 is a feature release with new features and multiple bug fixes.

But posts ever since about fixing clicks and pops say they are coming.