First music of the day

The Complete Capitol Studio Recordings of Stan Kenton 1943-1947, disc III

Vibraphonist Johnny Lytle offers up a fine morning vibe on this Craft Recordings LP reissue, People & Love. This certainly offers up an early San Francisco perspective on soul jazz, which I am enjoying immensely at the moment.

Johnny Lytle People & Places Review

Johnny Lytle People & Places - Qobuz

IMG_0966

1 Like

A nice cool morning. Awake before the birds thanks to my old dog.

Starting off the day with Yusef Lateef, “Atlantic Lullaby: the Concert from Avalon,” Elemental cd 2

Followed by

Jack Wilkins “Merge” CHIAROSCURO cd

Okay, I’m awake now.

IMG_0968
Mark Masters Ensemble with Lee Konitz.

Always room for some new blues in the morning.

Joel Ross “nublues” Blue Note cd

Followed by

“Les Jardins Mystiques Vol.1” disc 3
Miguel Atwood-Ferguson

This one takes me back…

Josee Koning “Dois Mundos”

A beautiful way to start the day.

Followed by

Tom Harrell “Paradise” Columbia cd

Quintet with percussion, strings and harp added. I forgot how good this one is.

1 Like

SFJazz Collective “Original Compositions and works of John Coltrane” disc 1 and 2

My copy is signed by Renee Rosnes in 2007.

On vinyl?

The SFJazz? No. I’m not sure this one was available on vinyl.

I was breaking your chops, my friend.

1 Like

OK. I do listen to LPs about 5 % of the time or less, CDs sound better to me except for some reissues of pre-tape material. I don’t have the money for exotic phono gear.

Oddly for the first time this year SFJazz Collective is releasing their annual release only on vinyl. I won’t be getting it.

1 Like

The Sutherland Little Loco is proving itself to be a more than worthy companion to the Vitus RI-101 Mk2. My Mutech Hayabusa, remains in the box, as I’ve decided to have Brian Walsh install it and dial it in. No hurry at this time.

1 Like

Ron Carter “FourSight: The Complete Stockholm Tapes” disc 1

Followed by

The Essence All Stars “Jackie’s Blues Bag–A Tribute to Jackie McLean” Hip Bop cd

Alto Saxophone – Abraham Burton (tracks: 7), Donald Harrison (tracks: 2), Justin Robinson (tracks: 1), Vincent Herring (tracks: 6)

Bass – Sebastian Whittaker

Drums – Idris Muhammad

Piano – LaMont Johnson

Soprano Saxophone – Branford Marsalis (tracks: 3)

Tenor Saxophone – Branford Marsalis (tracks: 1), Craig Handy (tracks: 2), Javon Jackson (tracks: 6), Joe Lovano (tracks: 4)

Transcription By – David Weiss

I find that Hip Bop manages to capture and reproduce certain characteristics of the classic Blue Note sound and production.

Followed by

Sonny Rollins “Freedom Weaver” Resonance Records 3 cd set, disc 1

I’ve long had this material in previous issues and it does sound a bit clearer and more vivid (and louder) here. Amazing music–Sonny was a true jazz force at this time.

1 Like

JRiver Media Center > Wi-Fi > Router/Modem……EtherRegen > AirLens > I2S into DS Sr. DAC