Forum Concerns

Expressing two points…

1 Like

Right…!? :joy:

I love everyone. :). But more importantly … I once complained to a moderator about someone else’s antics - and his response was ‘this isn’t bombs and hand grenades’. I kind of agree with that attitude.

My oldest brother used to say that al the time. Now I am the oldest… :joy:

Wow. Sorry to hear that about your brother.

1 Like

I do listen to complaints and Elk and I communicate back and forth. I don’t think he’s outlawed quotes all together. Let me find out for us.

Notice the quote! :slight_smile:

While this is true, everyone needs to feel free to post anything they would like as long as it is not a personal attack on another member.

Also, it is important for everyone to know that no one touches the content of anyone’s posts. If your post is full of typos you are on your own. :slight_smile:

The only change I ever make is to the title of a thread to make clear to what a thread refers, such as adding DS Sr. if this is the DAC under discussion. I also move threads to the appropriate sub-forum. For example, a lot of threads start off in Everything Else even though there is a specific spot for the thread, such as Amplifiers.

I welcome constructive criticism, and pay attention to nonconstructive comments as well. I did not respond to the comments until now hoping people would freely express their opinions. I hope everyone has had a chance to weigh in.

(An observation on interesting Internet social behavior: the criticisms here have all been expressed publicly; the majority of statements of support, privately. Both public and private are fine, I merely find the difference intriguing. )

After reading the criticisms I careful reviewed what happened that led to the complaints. I just learned that if I completely remove a quote no link to the post to which the member is responding remains. This is unacceptable. And a fully legitimate source of frustration.

I also again reviewed a couple of forums which use the same software. (As an aside, I find our layout much more clear than others. We changed the format in response to user requests.) Reviewing threads in these forums I see the vast majority of posts do not contain quotes and, typically, the quotes that are present have been trimmed to a short snippet (yes, of course there are exceptions and some really messy threads out there as well).

I will reassess my approach to quotes. I like how the software points to the post to which you are responding and find this both efficient and exceedingly easy to follow. Others indicate this is not necessarily sufficient. I will keep this in mind and will endeavor to review the threads from the viewpoint of those who need quotes.

I am going to move all of the posts discussing the forum to their own separate thread.

6 Likes

The Roon forum uses the same software and people are allowed to quote to their heart’s content. The forum is MUCH larger and busier than this one yet it all runs quite smoothly.

Why do you need to edit quotes at all?? If people want to quote, let them.

2 Likes

Elk,

Sounds like a reasonable approach. I would suggest leaning towards less editing, particularly where only a portion of a post is quoted, as it is less work for you and helps readers understand what portion of the referenced post is relevant. If things get a bit messy at times, that’s OK with me. I don’t understand how you find the time to do all you do in the forum as it is given the volume of posts and give you a lot of credit for that.

3 Likes

I have revised the text of the first post in this thread to make clear that I did NOT start this thread.

2 Likes

The community leaders have a very difficult job here. I have a tendency to wander and I’m given a wide stretch of road. I put myself in their position and I would suck at it. I don’t use quotes so I’m not sensitive to the quote issue much. However, I’ve went on a few forums and holy crap is it bad. Zero respect for those that are new, zero respect for opposite opinion… I stopped FB and all the SM crap, but here. I love our community. This PSA forum is private and the leadership of the community is Paul’s responsibility and his authority, period. I think Elk and the other leaders are doing a great job. Think about how each of you would do if given this responsibility…

There are many posts I disagree with and methodology I believe is questionable. However, all are free to express themselves including me and I thank God I’m not slammed more often…

3 Likes

The initial content of my post yesterday in the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 thread was a small and non-offensive 15-word quote from a post by @timm. The content of the @timm quote was necessary to understand the rest of my post. After @Elk unilaterally and surreptitiously removed my quote of @timm, what remained of my original post looked like a non-sequitur, in effect making the tampered-with post – and by extension, its author (me) – look dopey. @Elk, I am not saying you tampered with my Matrix thread post with the intent to make me look dopey. Rather, I am saying that was the EFFECT of the tampering.

If someone posts something that violates Forum rules then do what you think is necessary to remedy the situation. But if there is no violation, then please let the post ride.

Thanks.

4 Likes

Just think of all the threads you community leaders have to sift through. All the squabing that has to be unpacked. Thank you all for your help keeping it civil and a wealthspring of information, ideas, methods, and approaches.

3 Likes

Elk does not stop people from using quotes. What he objects to is someone quoting the entire post or quoting the post directly above the one you’re posting. But quotes are not turned off.

And quite frankly I found your post hilarious -as I hope you did mine. :slight_smile: let’s not lose sight of that fact.

2 Likes

Like most things, it is a question of balance. As I have explained multiple times in the past, the majority of forum members are on mobile devices and many express appreciation for an efficient stream-lined forum. Others, such as yourself, do not care.

As I mentioned above, I reviewed various forums which use the same software, including the Roon forum. I saw the vast majority of posts do not contain quotes and, typically, the quotes that are present have been trimmed to a short snippet. That is, overall, Roon forum members are very tidy in their approach. There are, of course, also threads which are a complete mess. :slight_smile:

Please also keep in mind there may well be much more going on behind the scenes than is know by the Roon forum’s membership. Our settings provide tremendous transparency and we respond publicly to all inquiries and complaints. Note however I have no idea what Roon does or not do behind the scenes.

I fully appreciate you would make different decisions. But this does not mean you are not listened to, it means only that you are one of a multitude of voices and opinions to take into account.

1 Like

@Paul - Yes, he does!! That it what started this whole topic!

I don’t see why he has to edit posts with quotes at all. It’s him making choices for others.

I doubt anyone thought your post made you look “dopey,” but point well taken.

As I explain above, I just learned that if I completely remove a quote no link to the post to which the member is responding remains. This is unacceptable. And a fully legitimate source of frustration.

4 Likes

Please review my post above yours.

Again, please also remember, no one changes anything as to what a member expresses in a post.

[As a side note, my predecessor what delete entire posts with which he disagreed, including mine. He also edited and deleted content within posts. I find this approach unacceptable on many levels.]

The only exception are posts which are deleted as spam or overtly abusive toward another. This is an excellent group of people so the later is uncommon.

A question for everyone: What do you see when a post is edited?

For me it is apparent that a post has been edited, but I have different user rights. It may be what I am seeing is very clear but it is not for others. If true, I would like to take this into account.