Forum members traveling advice! Audiophiles helping Audiophiles!

French Laundry is Definity overpriced and took way too long to finish. Once is enough for me.

Agreed. I also didnā€™t feel comfortable there. Like I didnā€™t have a secret handshake or something.

1 Like

Yes we have scheduled a few dinner in Fishermanā€™s Wharf also because we booked a hotel in that area for 3 nights. No crabs, understood! Thank you for the restaurant advice, iā€™m afraid itā€™s too late. Just a curiosity and sorry for this silly question: is it true that my 20 years old son cannot order wine in a restaurant? Which is the rule or the common habits there?

I know what you are talking about. Well, our governor got into trouble eating there in a party during the pandemic, and the other guy who went there often I knew is in jail for money laundry now. You never knew who sits at the next table.

They checked all IDs, and you must be twenty-one to drink anywhere in the US. So, he can only have water, tea, coffee, or juice unfortunately.

1 Like

And maybe a couple sips of your wine. :wink:

1 Like

Not that is a problem, just to know. Since here in Italy is ok at 18 age and he has grown learning wine tastes (with moderation) according to different meals, itā€™s part of our culture. New country you go, new habits (laws) you find! We will respect it, of course.

2 Likes

Luca, if you have the time for a trip to Berkeley, see if you can get a reservation at Chez Panisse. A bit expensive, but Chef Alice Waters was one of this countryā€™s founders of high end farm to table dining. Iā€™m a big fan, but if you go - get there on time! There is a fixed menu and serving times every evening. If you get there late youā€™ll be starting your meal at whatever course is being served. Has never happened to me, but Iā€™ve seen it happen there.

4 Likes

Thank you all! Iā€™m taking notes. If any of you guys will come to Italy I promise to give back some right advise!

2 Likes

A wonderful approach.

For three nights it may be too tight to visit Napa, because you can easily spend three days in SF.

But in case you want to, V. Sattui Winery has a nice picnic area, and you can buy lunch inside and eat at their outdoor tables. Their wines are sold in the winery store only. The wine price ranges from $40 to $60 (non-reserve) a bottle depending on varieties. They also sell Italian style wine too.

In last year, most wineries only take reservations for wine tasting because of the pandemic, and I do not know if they still have the same policy now.

1 Like

Oh I really wanted to visit Napa, unfortunately my wife and friends decided we have not enough time. I had a look at Danko website, very interesting meals and prices are not a problem. Here we are used to spend 100/150 euros for a good restaurant dinner (no Michelin). Wait, I always have to add 20% tip in every place I will have lunch/dinner, correct? Or is there some different habit? And in SF more 20% for taxes.

1 Like

Taxes/tips 38 to 40% additional, which is a shock for a lot of foreign visitors. SF is considered one of the most expensive places in the US thanks to all the tech companies.

2 Likes

I can imagine how my compatriots can be shocked about tips in general! Poor Italians! Here itā€™s all included in menu prices (increased at the desired/needed amount) and tipping sometimes could be interpreted as a snobbish or tacky gesture to impress.
Thank you again, I have finished sorry. Back to fuses and music.

2 Likes

An excellent winery! And they do ship to other States. :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Wellā€¦hereā€™s a left turn for anyone that may be interestedā€¦
A cheap tweak cable upgrade.
I tried it andā€¦:shushing_face:

2 Likes

Non vado in Italia da molti anni, ma spero di tonare presto alle origini della mia famiglia!

2 Likes

Heres a great place for travel advice so lets get back on track with the M1 tips and developments.

1 Like

In TX a parent can order alcohol for their child at dinner.

2 Likes

What! I never heard of such a thing. But thank goodness I do not have underage children anymore.