Fuse upgrade for P12

I am trying the SR Orange fuses in a P12 and Gain Cell Dac. Has anyone verified the orientation of the fuse in these components. It would seem a good plan to start with the best chance of the right orientation.

1 Like

From the back of units towards the front of units are the directions of flow.

2 Likes

Yes, Wayman is correct. Back to front.

1 Like

Welcome to the fun!

I have a P12 as well. jamesh beat me to it…confirming waymanchen11s answer

I currently have the blues in mine and am awaiting the orange…they do make a very nice
upgrade in the sq…

1 Like

I still don’t understand how a fuse in an ac line can be directional. I know all the mfrs say they are but it doesn’t make sense to me.

1 Like

Me either. AC alternates it doesn’t flow.

2 Likes

I am no ee …but just as power cords have a broader blade and a narrower blades
on the wall plugs…if these were reversed equipment chasis could become “hot”.
I experienced that myself …was not very pleasant !!

Consider there is a hotside and a neutral …there may well be a correlation to
how SR recommends fuse orientation…

Beyond this I really don’t know…

No doubt different fuses make differences in SQ but it’s only in series with one leg thus the polarity isn’t an issue. I believe it was Ted that surmised they are asymmetrical in resistance and/or inductance, one way ‘flows’ easier or better than the other.

I look at it like this…I’ve got a 50/50 shot at getting the best sounding direction out of the gate but I try them both ways for sure. Even if the fuse is labeled or the manufacturer says one way or the other what if they got it wrong or it doesn’t match with the gear it’s used with…only the DS is a pain to open.

2 Likes

Brett66…

I think you nailed it on the head :+1:

You are so right about having to try one way then another…to determine which
way is preferred by the user…My Emotiva XSP1 GEN 2 preamp has 3 fuses and it
was some challenging to get some run time and then play around with the
direction…finally got it done…very nice results.

Appreciate your thoughts

Thanks Brett66

Thanks Clifton and DavidA. I’m looking forward to hearing what the fuses can produce.

1 Like

Just curious what will you be powering with your P12?

When I 1st tried fuses I started with my power amp a Parasound A21 and the difference was night and day improvement then I went to P12…and more recently
my preamps…

Just curious about your journey…

Thanks

Something to consider is the lengthy burn in time where the
Sound quality can go back and forth from amazing to oh my
What happened where did the good sound go…this may occur
a few times before settling out all across the frequency spectrum…

Best wishes

Just when I thought I was done tweaking my system and could finally settle in for a while.
What… fuses have the potential to affect SQ?
Sliding back down the research and tweaking rabbit hole.
First question, why wouldn’t the manufacturer use the fuse with the best possible sound signature?

1 Like

PS Audio does use decent ceramic fuses, better than 5c glass ones for sure, but like power cables the change fuses make is very much up to the individual preference and system synergy.

2 Likes

The cost of r+d and akin to power cables…simply gear manufacturers would have to raise prices a bit or two
to include upgraded fuses and power cords.

Probably because they know we are insatiable tweakers…
wisely they leave that up to the end user.

My best .02

Hope that helps

1 Like

Well said. :laughing: It’s a very slippery slope out there.

2 Likes

and so diverse in tecnologies and concepts…kinda of like going to an old fashioned
ice cream parlor…so many wonderful flavors to choose from… :shaved_ice: :ice_cream: and on and on it seems to go :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks, DavidA for the additional comments. I have an old Audiolab 8000T fm, a very old Nakamichi 680ZX and an Audiolab 6000CDT-Schiit Gungnir Multibit-Sennheiser HDVA600 as sources feeding PSAudio Gain Cell Dac and Stellar 300 amp. The nagging trouble all along and forever for me was harshness in the treble. It has always been there to varying degrees through a lifetime of budget hi-end equipment. The PSAudio amplification was best about 2AM in terms of smoothness and varied through the day. The P12 killed most of the harshness and has been a great addition, but there is still a little there especially on some troublesome recordings. I thought I would give these fuses a try. The sound now is the best I have had and a little more transparency would be enough to get me to 80 years. I appreciate the warning about breakin which I have read about elsewhere and I’ll comment further as things develop. One clarification–in order to get a balanced connection to the headphone amp as well as to the PSAudio gear, I had to rout the connections from the Gungnir to the headphone amp and then to the Gain Cell. I do prefer the Gungnir to the Gain Cell dac especially for classical music.

Cheers, John

2 Likes

Thanks John for your follow up…as you acquire run time on your new fuses
they will smooth out more…I’m going through that now with my preamps…
(orange fuses)…your patience will bear you good fruit!

Oops forgot to say…you have nice gear…and your classic Nakamichi deck…way nice

1 Like

hi waymanchen11! how did u position the SR orange in p12? the S logo upwards or downwards? thank you so much!