How not to convince your spouse that you need a P20

So this is how’s recent conversation went with my wife. I could use some tips for next time please!

Me: So I’m thinking about getting another component for my stereo.
Wife: :roll_eyes: How much is it? Ten thousand dollars???
Me: Uh… we’ll yes…but that’s the list price.
Wife: And what does it do?
Me: Well, it lowers the noise floor…
Wife: It does what???
Me: Uh, it makes the music sound better…
Wife: and will we be able to hear the difference?
My 12 year old daughter: Nope, only daddy can hear the difference! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

14 Likes

Threaten to have your daughter shipped off to boarding school…?

4 Likes

Now that’s an idea!

Next time, bribe your daughter first to be on your side. Then talk to wife.

3 Likes

Just tell her the truth. If you don’t buy a good power conditioner, the next time there is a power surge, it can cause her more than ten grand to replace all your precious equipment.

3 Likes

16 Likes

Maybe if you purchased it without letting her know about it, she’ll never hear the difference

1 Like

I never even discuss my gear purchases with the Mrs. If I did, there would not be any.

8 Likes

My wife and I agree that the one thing we can’t afford is a divorce, so she buys what she wants, I buy what I want and things for the house and holidays we agree together. As she doesn’t go to the hairdresser and I don’t have a mistress, our discretionary spending is pretty much under control. She has no idea what the hifi cost and doesn’t want to know.

As a P20 costs what I paid for a new car last year, I’ll be giving it a miss.

3 Likes

Steven

We have the same arrangement in my house.

1 Like

No P20 in da haus then?:blush: I would like to buy a new car for 12K€,but sadly this is Finland,fineland and decent new cars cost 100k€ if not willing to settle in Hyundai or likes.
No need luckily to use WAF as an excuse,I just inform her ,hey you will be getting a new black box next week ! - Say what? Yes it will make it sound better and louder !:grin:

2 Likes

I really like my Hyundai, and that is coming from a Toyota.

1 Like

An excellent bang for the buck, well designed and made vehicles - readily enjoyable.

As to the topic, I am always saddened by these threads.

1 Like

Fortunately my wife never has had any issues with discretionary spending that I have done over our 43 years of marriage. I have more of a problem justifying the purchases to myself than to her. Same goes for her purchases but mine tend to be in the $1k to $20k each range and hers tend to be less than $100 dollars each.

2 Likes

50 plus years of marriage; when I have a disagreement with my wife, if we don’t agree, we do what she wants. But, when we agree, we do what I want.

File under, “marriage is like quicksand, you have a better chance of survival if you don’t struggle.”

4 Likes

My wife is actually pretty cool about my hobby. She ribs me but I have my thing and she has hers and we try and keep it fair when it comes to discretionary spending. We’ve been married 28 years and I wouldn’t be the person I am without her so it’s all good!

5 Likes

She lets you go to the opera. What more do you want?

1 Like

Couldn’t resist a couple of favorite marriage quips. She comes with me. Great cultural (and every other kind of) partner.

I’ve always thought there should be a physiological approach to audio system cost. One formula is predicted life expectancy x 1,000. Another involves having your hearing tested and applying the formula (upper audible frequency / 100) squared. This may limit P20 sales.

Once I approached, then crossed, the 7th decade threshold I went with a simpler calculus; “now or never”.

4 Likes