How to Control Tv or Music remotely for Elderly Family?

This is a call for advice or solutions. We just moved my mother to an assisted living apartment. She loves music and/or watching TV but her memory and operational skill makes it difficult for her to operate a stereo or TV.

Can anyone in the PS Audio tribe provide me a solution or product(s) that would allow me to operate a TV or stereo from 20 miles away. On Off and Volume functionality are the first needs for both the stereo and the TV. I can leave Tidal streaming 24/7 as input to the stereo.

Thanks for your help ahead of time.

2 Likes

I do not have any ideas, but I can only imagine how important this could be to your mother. You are very kind to try and solve this puzzle.

2 Likes

My mother is in the same boat although she can still run a remote control she cant see much and is not able to transfer without help.
With that said the assisted living site put an Alexa? or something similar on the table next to her chair. (I know nothing about those devices)
She can ask it to read to her or play music by voice command. Maybe something like that could be done remotely and control the devices in the room?
I’ll bet one of the whiz kids here should be able to figure something out for you.
Best wishes on your quest.

Edit
There has to be something in the “smart home” realm that can do what you are looking for.
Keep us posted on any progress as it will help many.

4 Likes

Sorry, no suggestions for your specific inquiry, but if your mother is anything like mine (mine is in a nursing home), I would call to let her know to expect the tv or music to turn on. Unless her memory is sound enough to remember that you are activating it.

3 Likes

Perhaps if tidal was running you could put a small receiver on its own timer leave power switch on as long as it was lowtech. What is missing is volume leveling.

2 Likes

You will need a DaC with analog outs taking the Tidal stream 24/7 with the amp/receiver solution.

1 Like

An old antenna CRT TV with converter of digital to old VHF /UHF could also be set on a low tech clock timer. The new stuff is likely to have power saver modes.

Wow. Have never even thought about it and no off the shelf product comes to mind. That said, ours is an aging population and some entrepreneur out there might see this thread and launch a product line to assist families with loved ones in senior living communities. My grandmother passed many years ago from dementia, but could have benefited greatly from something like what you’ve suggested.

As a first step could you have the attendants at the facility schedule an “on” time and an “off” time for the stereo or TV? I am sure they make regular rounds for meals and medicine deliveries along with housekeeping duties.

2 Likes

That’s what we do for our mother. She still loves to watch people cook.
And the nurse and the aide are vegetarian, so a stop at the farmers’ market works wonders.

3 Likes
2 Likes

That is a really cool device.

1 Like

Depending upon your budget, a system from an automation company such as Control4 or Savant would give you the control of audio and tv through an app from anywhere. Control4 charges an annual fee for this feature whereas Savant includes it.

2 Likes

As was mentioned. I do have an alexa studio and some echo dots. The studio actually sounds pretty good for 199. Is about the size of an old coffee can. Check into this a bit. I have never really tried this functionality.

One more.

1 Like

This seems viable. Can use it as an intercom. You can use the phone app to communicate to the device as well. I’m no expert but it seems like it could play music. Answer questions. Possibly read a story. I know you can get it to give reminders. Which makes me think you might be able to set reminders to ‘play classical at 8am’.

1 Like

Sorry I can’t help myself. This is of interest as well.

1 Like

What’s the TV provider? Cable, satellite?

thank you for your ideas and wisdom. I will try this out. My sister has installed the Alexa in my moms place but it is under my sisters household. Might need to set up a different household for control purposed. Thank you for the ideas!!! You still listening to Maggies?

I use this device. Connects to the internet via Wi-Fi, and you can turn the power on/off from wherever. Never failed.

https://www.amazon.com/Sonoff-Certified-Compatible-Assistant-Supporting/dp/B08GKJ87M5/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_pt_BR=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2I4I8SOLLDSK3&keywords=Ewelink&qid=1644351534&sprefix=ewelink%2Caps%2C301&sr=8-9

1 Like