How to setup JRiver for DSD

We just posted a new How To on how to setup JRiver for DSD.

Here’s a link

This is helpful but how about ones for JRiver and foobar2000 playing to the Bridge rather than by USB?

stevem2 said This is helpful but how about ones for JRiver and foobar2000 playing to the Bridge rather than by USB?

I’m not a bridge expert or a JRiver expert but if you have JRiver playing PCM over the bridge setting up DSD isn’t hard. Here are the critical items for MC19 (MC18 has the DLNA options organized differently.)

Go to the options control panel. Select Media Network on the left. On the right press “… and or configure DLNA servers …”

Select your DS DAC in the top box.

Expand “Advanced” if it isn’t already by clicking on it. The top option is “Bitsream DSD (requires DoPE conplient renderer)” (the DS is “DoPE” )

As far as I know if JRiver was already able to play to the bridge now it can play DSD via DoP. Note it takes my setup quite a bit of time to start playing DSD over the bridge - So long that I thought things were broken many times when I was first trying to get things running to the bridge.

Hopefully some kind sole will correct my mistakes or omissions.

Thanks Ted! Anybody know the drill for foobar2000 (my current favorite player)?

stevem2 said This is helpful but how about ones for JRiver and foobar2000 playing to the Bridge rather than by USB?
And JR 19 on a Mac.

I also need to move from Elyric to Jriver on mac and would love a tutorial. I am on OSX 10.6.8 until a new mac pro arrives in a month or two.

Well, I’ve been banging my head on the wall trying to get DSD to go over the network to my DS. I thought I had it working when I first got the DS, but I recently noticed the DS display says “Input: PCM Rate:176.4 24 Bits” whenever I play DSD. The above tutorial is for MC19 but doesn’t seem to work for J River MC20. I should point out that I am making changes under “Tools/Import” button at the top of the page. When I get to the pop up window if I select “Audio” it says go to “Media Network” button and click on “Add or configure DLNA Servers”. As such, here is what I have done in the “Media Network” tab:

I have checked the first box to “Use Media Network …”

Under the “Add or configure DLNA Servers” I have selected the following:

“Audiophile 24 Bit DAC”

Under Audio tab:

"Mode: Specified output format"

"Format: PCM 24 Bit"

"Advanced"

"Stereo downmix" checked

"Volume leveling" not checked

"Sample Rate: Same as Source"

" ... DSP Studio ..." not used

Under the “Advanced” tab I have checked the three boxes for DLNA

Under the “Client Options …” tab

“Auto sync with server” checked

“Play local file if …” checked

“Show playback zones …” checked

Under the “Audio Conversion”

"Conversion: Don't convert audio"

"Encoder: PCM 24 bit"

I must be missing something, please help!

You are.

Under your DNLA Servers settings scroll way down to VIDEO, yes VIDEO. Click advanced, the check the first box that says "Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE…). That should fix it. Verifiy on DSDAC display.

Yep. On JRMC Mac this “Advanced” tab is at the same level as “Video” so it’s not as confusing. I don’t know why they don’t fix it for the PC version.

Woot, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! I knew it was something simple, but why did they put it there? If we had the answer to that we might have the answers to a bunch of other mysterious questions!

This question has probably been discussed before but I can’t find the answer. Is it possible to play DSD (.dff) files from JRiver to a PWDac with Bridge2? I tried the settings in JRiver suggested for playing DSD files to a DirectStream DAC with no success. The file appears to be playing on the PWD but there is no sound. I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong or will it simply not work? If someone can provide guidance or clarification I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

bluenose1 said This question has probably been discussed before but I can't find the answer. Is it possible to play DSD (.dff) files from JRiver to a PWDac with Bridge2? I tried the settings in JRiver suggested for playing DSD files to a DirectStream DAC with no success. The file appears to be playing on the PWD but there is no sound. I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong or will it simply not work? If someone can provide guidance or clarification I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Not an expert but nearly certain JRiver can transcribe DSD to any format, FLAC, on the fly. What that means to me is JRiver will change the format before it sends the data to your DAC. Crawl into JRiver and their wiki....you'll figure it out. JRiver can solve nearly any issue you can think of. It complicated for a reason. YMMV.

[long nested quote removed]

Unfortunately, I’m not at all technical so the lot of terminology in the JRiver wiki is Greek to me. I was lucky to get PCM files playing well. I was hoping to hear from a PWD owner with Bridge2 who had DSD files playing.

You will not be able to play DSD files natively on a PWD as the PWD is PCM only. amsco15 is correct that JRMC can convert DSD files to PCM on the fly. The instructions for playing DSD files on a DS will not work as they are intended to play DSD files as DSD. My JRMC system is down becomes of major home renovations but try unchecking the Bitstream DSD box under Advanced (see the posts above for where to find that).

stevem2 said You will not be able to play DSD files natively on a PWD as the PWD is PCM only. amsco15 is correct that JRMC can convert DSD files to PCM on the fly. The instructions for playing DSD files on a DS will not work as they are intended to play DSD files as DSD. My JRMC system is down becomes of major home renovations but try unchecking the Bitstream DSD box under Advanced (see the posts above for where to find that).
Thank you stevem2. After unchecking that box, I now get sound. The PWD screen displays 176.4k 24 bit WAV so the file is being converted. The sound is good, but being PCM I clearly won't get the DSD benefit. So for now, I'll stick with my FLAC PMC files. Good call, and thanks again.

Can we get this HOW TO updated for JRiver V.30? So much has changed in 10 years!

THANKS

I think I’m on 27 for Mac. Any reason you feel to go up to the latest version?

Downloading it for the first time. Is there an option to get an old version?