I miss...

Although I appreciate the cleanliness of the new format, I miss the old main page where ALL of the posts came up in chronological order. If it is possible, I would like to have a page like that so that we could see what the latest is at a glance, regardless of the topic. I’m finding stuff that got started days ago because it didn’t just fall into my lap like it used to. How can I poke inane, droll and mindless fun at everyone if I’m so late to the show? 4_gif

Glad that the smileys are fixed, too!

I don’t remember the old forum doing that. I think it showed new posts within the forum but didn’t display them all, did it? Maybe I am not understanding. There’s plenty of tweaking and adjusting we can do. When I get time, I’ll see if there isn’t something I can turn on/off to help show more.

They were listed in chronological order by post on one page. I think it was called “Latest Posts” or something similar. The posts were not categorized into groups in this view and allowed relative idiots like myself to find the latest activity at a glance without having to open the topic under which they were posted.

Paul McGowan said I don't remember the old forum doing that. I think it showed new posts within the forum but didn't display them all, did it? Maybe I am not understanding. There's plenty of tweaking and adjusting we can do. When I get time, I'll see if there isn't something I can turn on/off to help show more.
That's the feature I keep asking for that the old forum supported. If instead of selecting a particular forum you selected the top level forum you got all topics listed. You could then view all topics sorted by last update.
wglenn said Although I appreciate the cleanliness of the new format, I miss the old main page where ALL of the posts came up in chronological order. If it is possible, I would like to have a page like that so that we could see what the latest is at a glance, regardless of the topic. I'm finding stuff that got started days ago because it didn't just fall into my lap like it used to. How can I poke inane, droll and mindless fun at everyone if I'm so late to the show?
Something that's very close, close enough for me: on the main topics page (where you get with http://www.psaudio.com/forum/ ) if you hide the list of forums (click the down facing triangle at the top right of the forum list, that is the triangle just below the Group RSS button) then the "Unread and recently updated topics" list is the main attraction. To the right of each topics is a button to take you to the first unread post in that topic.

Ted, I thought that looking down below at that section would work but, for instance, my previous post and you fresh post above did not come up on the list.

EDIT: The latest posting in that section currently is from 1hr ago. How can I maintain my reputation as “Community A-Hole” with out up to date info??? 21_gif

wglenn said Ted, I thought that looking down below at that section would work but, for instance, my previous post and you fresh post above did not come up on the list.

Well, the old forum was great at keeping dynamically updated. The new forum is like most other pages on the net. Nothing happens till you hit refresh.

In any case if you reopen the main page tho the link to the latest unread post in a forum may be missing, all topics are sorted by the latest post update and you can click on the weird arrow to get to the last post in any topic. Tho not ideal I can use that to catch up reliably.

Yes, hopefully the new functionality with this one will outweigh its quirks. I haven’t yet tried the search function which was my (and for many) pet peeve about Vanilla. What is the “weird arrow?”

EDIT: Oh, I found it. Nifty!

Paul glen is correct. As I too like what you have tried to do , why would you not model it after other large scale successful forums . And ask people here for input before the launch . I do feel sorry for you and I mean that but truly there had to be someone with you in this that said hey what the hell are we doing . To say it’s confusing is an understement , and why you would implement this as the direct stream comes out and you travel the globe promoting product makes this a Asian fire drill of sorts. The old forums had its oddtyies And I know change is better overall . But this is not an advancement it’s an exercise that most here do not or should not have to go through .

Nit mad but very confused and I am the king of confusion or I was but you have that title now . Man this makes me feel better hahaha.

Please do not take my comments as acting out , there are enough people here who I think that do that.

Al

Ted Smith said

Something that’s very close, close enough for me: on the main topics page (where you get with PS Audio ) if you hide the list of forums (click the down facing triangle at the top right of the forum list, that is the triangle just below the Group RSS button) then the “Unread and recently updated topics” list is the main attraction. To the right of each topics is a button to take you to the first unread post in that topic.

What the heck - my favorite section on the main page disappeared!

? What was it that disappeared?

Ted Smith said
Ted Smith said Something that's very close, close enough for me: on the main topics page (where you get with http://www.psaudio.com/forum/ ) if you hide the list of forums (click the down facing triangle at the top right of the forum list, that is the triangle just below the Group RSS button) then the "Unread and recently updated topics" list is the main attraction. To the right of each topics is a button to take you to the first unread post in that topic.

Yeah, I tried it and it worked fine, now it’s gone.

The ‘unread topics’ button above the RSS button does almost the same thing.

alrainbow said Paul glen is correct. As I too like what you have tried to do , why would you not model it after other large scale successful forums . And ask people here for input before the launch . I do feel sorry for you and I mean that but truly there had to be someone with you in this that said hey what the hell are we doing . To say it's confusing is an understement , and why you would implement this as the direct stream comes out and you travel the globe promoting product makes this a Asian fire drill of sorts. The old forums had its oddtyies And I know change is better overall . But this is not an advancement it's an exercise that most here do not or should not have to go through .

Al

The larger scale forums are not typically attached and integrated with a website. Take most of the forums based websites where the website IS the forum. Here they can use any number of great forum software. Our goal is to provide a seamless integrated experience both on the forums as well as the website. A place where we can chat, read about new products, register, control and do all the things one might wish to do with a company like us.

To do this we have really not many choices. The best choice for us, without spending a fortune on a 100% custom website, is Wordpress. That’s what the site is based on and everything is now integrated - however it isn’t yet seamless. :slight_smile:

There’s a learning curve. We’re in the middle of it. Hang tight. We can do customizing of the forums once we get all the bugs, registration integration issues ironed out.

jerryd6 said
Ted Smith said
Ted Smith said Something that's very close, close enough for me: on the main topics page (where you get with http://www.psaudio.com/forum/ ) if you hide the list of forums (click the down facing triangle at the top right of the forum list, that is the triangle just below the Group RSS button) then the "Unread and recently updated topics" list is the main attraction. To the right of each topics is a button to take you to the first unread post in that topic.
Yeah, I tried it and it worked fine, now it's gone.

It's back!

It only appears on the main forum page, not subpages (at least the few I looked at).

The ‘unread topics’ button appears on all pages, so is easier to use.

jerryd6 said
Ted Smith said

Well if the unread posts stats at the site are correct it does. The problem comes when either they are wrong (which happens a lot right now) or you want to go back and reread a post you read just a little bit ago… My main site navigation was based on the recently updated posts section and now it’s gone…

jerryd6 said
jerryd6 said
Ted Smith said

It’s back!

It only appears on the main forum page, not subpages (at least the few I looked at).

The ‘unread topics’ button appears on all pages, so is easier to use.

Weird, it’s not back here.

Just edited my post as you were posting. Is it there for you on the main forum page? That’s the only place I see it.

jerryd6 said Just edited my post as you were posting. Is it there for you on the main forum page? That's the only place I see it.

Nope, it’s still gone here

It’s still there for me and it works as before.

jerryd6 said It's still there for me and it works as before.

Can you get a screen shot of it so that Paul can see what we are talking about?

Agreed on the usability issues and growing pains of the new forum. It is changing moment by moment… Generally it is improving, but slowly.

The mode in the old forum was [All Discussions] where it listed ALL threads in the order of most recently updated at the top. In that same list it indicated the number of new posts and would (usually) go directly to the first unread post. This was somewhat browser dependent and some were definitely better than others at doing that.

It would be very nice if the new forum had a similar format - it was always EASY to read the threads as they were updated. A First Unread button on this same display would be quite useful too… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the effort Paul, I’ll try no to rag on you too hard about e rollout of the new forum but this one was even rougher than the last. :smiley: I’ll try to make my comments productive.

J.P.