I miss...

Thanks Paul. I will back off a bit. I did enjoy the distraction from other buisness while being here though . I do want to learn this and learning is fine . And I would never want you to spend money with no return on website software and I mean that too. I guess we all will have to enjoy the adventure . I need to hit more more buttons and see what happens .

Al

+1 J.P.

Ted Smith said
jerryd6 said It's still there for me and it works as before.

Can you get a screen shot of it so that Paul can see what we are talking about?

Couldn’t get a screen shot; old computer, 1999, running xp, but it should work.

I have to go out, but will try again later.

On the main forum page it looks like:

MAIN PS FORUM Group RSS

^

The ‘hat’ is a clickable solid triangular arrow. If pointing up the forum topics are displayed, if down it shows ‘Unread and recently updated topics’.

It is still there for me now and working.

jerryd6 said It is still there for me now and working.
Ironically it disappeared for me right when they rehooked up my admin status

Thanks for the help

Ted Smith said
jerryd6 said It is still there for me now and working.

Ironically it disappeared for me right when they rehooked up my admin status

Thanks for the help

Just noticed that the ‘unread and … topics’ section is there with the arrow in either position, it’s below the forum topics section with arrow up.

I normally start at the top forum level and see what Ted saw before he lost it (I mean before it stopped working) as it was the closest to the old forum all topics screen as described by others above. Sometimes it shows new posts and sometimes not. When I started this session this topic was showing a dozen or so new posts but I started with some other topics and by the time I finished them this one was not showing any new posts even though I had never looked at it. That has happened before several times. It is just not very reliable. I also have a hard time finding topics sometimes, including ones I have posted to as they did not show new posts even though there were some. I’m with Will, Ted and JP on this one.

The new editing features are great. The new forum is very rich with embedded features which I am discovering little by little. laugh

I miss… dynamic updating (# of unread posts, etc.).

I have set the updating to be every 6 minutes. Maybe I can make that sooner.

Six minutes should do it for most of us. :)

I think it’s fine to Paul. It is much better than the old forum.

It is getting better for me anyway.

Al

Paul McGowan said I have set the updating to be every 6 minutes. Maybe I can make that sooner.
Not sure I understand correctly... is that something that you set for the site? If so, it doesn't seem to be working on my computer. As an experiment, I opened tabs at different times; the first shows 0 topics with unread posts, the second (opened several minutes later) shows 1 topic with unread posts, the third (opened 7 minutes later) shows 2 topics with unread posts. Checking back on the tabs opened earlier, they're still static - no update on the number of topics with unread posts.

If it’s an option that the user sets, I looked around but couldn’t find it.

I must admit I’m with Ted on how I browsed the old forums. Seeing all recent posts at once worked well. Due to its specialization, this of course isn’t a high volume site, so all activity from the last few days could often be seen on one screen. The forum is divided into 26 categories at present, so checking all of these for small amounts of recent activity isn’t very convenient. I am glad the switched user names seem to sorted out now, so progress is being made.

• Gravy

I was incorrect. That parameter was how often the users online was refreshed. I still have no clue how to make it quicker. I’ll keep searching. We are currently engaging our webmaster to finish the product registration mess and get that better. Once he completes that task, hopefully by the end of this week, I’ll ask him to perhaps change the look of the forums to that of showing all posts within categories like the old site did. Not sure if that’s feasible or not.

One thing seems to happen is I subscribe to threads and it’s there and then it’s gone. Same with watching. It does show what threads are updated of the bat though. But maybe it’s me things seem to change . Like now no zoom for font , the color changes , subscriptions remove them selves . Now all,of these are fine but confusing.

Al

Ok guys, help this old man out. I am dazed and confused. Below is a screenshot of what the old forums looked like. In it, you see every single post that’s been made. In all, there are 211 pages of these on the front page alone.

Personally, this drove me nuts and was useless. Obviously, I am in the minority. Before I go pay someone to duplicate this clutter, help me understand what exactly it is we want. Is this really what you all want back?

How did you all get any value out of this and how did you manage to go through 212 pages to find anything. I am befuddled. tmi_gifcant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon_gif

Screen-Shot-2014-05-06-at-6.33.43-PM.png

Paul do not pay anyone as yet. I think you need a group here that all post,s requestes go to for review a Nd when something that is worth while to change is found it moves to you for final review and then you write the check. I have no idea how you do all that you do. But I can add success is not about just one doing multitasking it’s about multiple people each doing there task in unison witha group . I am not preaching but as I do way to much myself I to am making a stance in fixing this in my life. Ps thanks for upgrade kit and irs advice .

Al

We need the time stamps back on the main forums page so that we can easily find latest posts.

Cheers,

Will

YES

Paul McGowan said Ok guys, help this old man out. I am dazed and confused. Below is a screenshot of what the old forums looked like. In it, you see every single post that's been made. In all, there are 211 pages of these on the front page alone.
Paul, thanks for posting the screenshot. In that shot of the first page, you can see all forum activity from April 22 into April 23. What Ted, I and others are referring to is you can quickly see and click on any posts of interest regardless of category if you're a regular (every couple of days) forum follower. By scrolling down just one page, you can probably catch two to three previous days of posts. The posts in new forum have to be accessed by looking at 26 sub-forums, which don't have time stamps. Thanks to willcycle for pointing out the time stamp problem.
  • Gravy