I'm having trouble installing the new firmware update

brodricj said That to me sounds like your DS hasn't seen the new firmware on the SD card and has booted with the previous good firmware instal. I don't think you can brick a DS with a failed firmware update (Ted?). I use a Mac and the 2GB card (re-formatted from FAT16 to FAT32) that came with the DS, no issues at all.
Yep, in general if you don't get a blinking light at all, nothing has changed. If you get a continuous blinking light the files can't be read off of the card (they probably are not at the root level, or one is missing.) I've had many failed updates where I made a mistake preparing the SD card but things are fine after fixing the problem.

Also, check that the SD card it unlocked (not write protected) when inserted.

If you open the loader file with a text editor you may see what is supposed to be loaded.

If the PS button is not flashing the new firmware is not loaded.

Tap the smal cogwheel (upper left) on your display to see what is loaded.

These are all great suggestions. Let us know.

Thanks for all the suggestions gentlemen. I’m just not savvy enough to do this right, I’ll get a preloaded card from PS Audio, Mayoura will help me.

Are you savvy enough on the Mac to launch the Disk Utility (in the Applications folder, just use spotlight to find it)? If you put the SD card into a disc reader (eg camera, as I’ve mentioned before), open the disc with Disk Utility, select erase button (but don’t proceed to erase), and take a screenshot of the window that opens (use command>shift>4 keys held down and then use the crosshairs to select the open window to capture screenshot). If you can post that picture file here (might need to convert it to .jpg as I don’t think the forum engine accepts .png files) might give us some clues to help you out further. It must be frustrating to wait for a new SD card from PS Audio HQ, I’m sure we can fix it with more info.

Elk. I just downloaded the new FW successfully, but cannot find where you moved the installation of it to its own thread.embarassed

I have limited time to do these sort of things as I spend sixty hours a week taking care of my aged parents to keep them in their home, and the only two nights off I get I generally spend with my wonderful girlfriend out in the country away from audio and computers, so I’ve spent all the time I am going to on this. NO it’s not frustrating to wait on a card from PS Audio. I’m not a fan of the sound changing week after week. :) I finally got the unit broken in and I can wait for further sound changes. As I said above I’m not really excited at all about the ability to change things with firmware, I liked the sound of the previous firmware A LOT and set my system up for it so I can wait to change the overall sound again.

nordicbob said Elk. I just downloaded the new FW successfully, but cannot find where you moved the installation of it to its own thread.
Nordicbob, good to see you in the forum today! Hope you are well. Update like you've done before on PWD and DS. Turn off @back switch, insert SD card, turn in back switch and enjoy. I listened shortly ago and mightily impressed as everyone.

Hang in and enjoy.

Odd

nordicbob said Elk. I just downloaded the new FW successfully, but cannot find where you moved the installation of it to its own thread.
It's right here in this thread Elk created to single out my ineptitude and further humiliate me.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/im-having-trouble-installing-the-new-firmware-updae/#p31877

Seems a thread not really needed because no one else is having problems with the process, and I’ve given up.

I just downloaded FW 1.2.1 to a SanDisk 2GB SD card using a Mac with Snow Leopard. My DS updated successfully to 1.2.1 from 1.1.5. Incidentally FAT 32 worked for me.

Great suggestions above for anyone having problems.

will a down load work on a sandick 8 gb

oddeophile said

Nordicbob, good to see you in the forum today! Hope you are well. Update like you’ve done before on PWD and DS. Turn off @back switch, insert SD card, turn in back switch and enjoy. I listened shortly ago and mightily impressed as everyone.

Hang in and enjoy.

Odd

Hi Odd.

I had no problem updating and installing 1.2.1 to my DS. Rather it was this thread that I lost when it was moved shortly after I updated the FW to check back on how the installation went with other people that did it. My bad

after trying several options via Mac, I just formatted the SD card on PC (FAT16) and copied the firmware files onto it.

plugging the card into the DAC, cold boot. The power LED of the DAC keeps blinking as in an infinite loop.

(the SD card came from PS A)

thanks for any suggestions …

Frank

Frank, can you revert back to 1.1.9 or 1.1.5?

@fva reformat the SD card to FAT32 using OSX Disk Utility, use Finder to drag-n-drop the firmware files to the SD card, eject the disc, put it in the DS SD slot pins up, turn off/on the main power switch on back of DS and the new firmware should load (blinking blue light, should only take a few minutes), the DS will initialize, then you’re good to go. This process works for me.

Also be aware that when creating files on the SD card you may get an accompanying folder created by the mac system.

This should not pose a problem (only files in root - instructed by the loader - will be uploaded to the DS memory).

Did you have an upgrade kit? If you did what version is the Bootloader on you DS?

Dennis

I will try to return to a previous version and provide the requested information asap, but I am not home for another 3-4 hours

Frank

Just for confirmation, I did the download and checked the info screen on the dac, which shows “firmware” 1.2.1, and the “FPGA” still shows 0.65. Is this correct?

Thanks

Mark

When I get home tonight I’m going to start a thread on which SD cards work for the DS.

I’ve got a Factory DS, and I guess I’ve been really lucky, as I’m running FAT32 16GB cards and have been updating with only one minor issue.

So I’ll share in another thread a photo of the cards that work for me in case someone needs to run out and get a card for update.