I'm having trouble installing the new firmware update

capt mark said Just for confirmation, I did the download and checked the info screen on the dac, which shows "firmware" 1.2.1, and the "FPGA" still shows 0.65. Is this correct?

Thanks

Mark

The initial release of the DS had FPGA version 0.54 - the first upgrade was to 0.61. And this one is to 0.65.

And each one of those has been a wow step - I can’t imagine how you could go any further with this, Ted. Seriously.

Ok, thanks Ted. Just wanted to make sure everything downloaded correctly. It sure made a nice improvement. Instant upgrade, I love it!

Mark

Lonely Raven said And each one of those has been a *wow* step - I can't imagine how you could go any further with this, Ted. Seriously.
I agree but I've thought that with each update :)

I have also had some success with FAT32 and it’s worth a try but if that doesn’t work I would go back to FAT16 (assuming you have a PC; Macs don’t seem to do FAT16). I agree with the suggestion to go back to an earlier version to clean out the cobwebs and then try again. If it never stops blinking there may be something wrong with one of the files (i.e., it may have gotten corrupted somehow) so I would try a fresh download. Sometimes you just need to try it a few times before it works. It can be frustrating. My upgrade went perfectly–once I copied everything over on a PC. My Mac wouldn’t let me delete or add files to the card, which was not locked. I’ve had this problem before but not consistently. Sometimes ejecting and reinserting the card fixes that but not this time. Get Info said I had read only privileges. The PC had no such issues.

Hi again,

I tried to go back to 1.15 or 1.19, but the same result. The power LED keeps blinking.

Upon cold boot without SD card, the system remains just dead.

Is this a Kit? If the bootloader is below version 1.13 this is your problem Contact alex at PS audio for a fix. alexp@psaudio.com

Dennis

It is:

12-061-99-1 release 02

I will contact alex.

Frank

I got the firmware loaded successfully. Digital coax worked fine. PCM through JRiver worked fine, but DSD64 or DSD128 through JRiver stopped working. The green lights on the dac show connection, but the display shows that I am playing a PCM file even though the PC thinks it is playing a DSD file and no sound comes out. Any thoughts?

Dave

Some volume control in JRiver (or perhaps the OS) may not be at 100 (or unity volume) or perhaps some DSP is going. Every once in a while my system thinks that I’ve plugged in different DS and it takes the default OS configuration for that new peripheral - which means I need to recheck the audio settings in the control panel. There are more hints in the How To on running the bit perfect test.

What a mess. I have a blinking light instead of a functioning DS!

One of these days I’ll get to hear this big improvement.

Sigh.

For some reason PS Audio sent me a card with firmware twice to my PREVIOUS address. Now knowing I have to wait longer still for a card I decided to try downloading again to the card that was in the DS. I think I managed it correctly and installed it and rebooted and got the blinking light, GREAT, at last I got a blinking light.

But. . . .

That’s all I have. A light that blinks and blinks on and on and on and it’s been an hour now. I finally flipped it off, tried it with and without the card, with the card I get the blinking light, without it I get nada.

I guess I’ll wait for the card from PS Audio and then if that doesn’t work, ask for an RMA and send it back.

Sigh.

lonson said

For some reason PS Audio sent me a card with firmware twice to my PREVIOUS address. Now knowing I have to wait longer still for a card I decided to try downloading again to the card that was in the DS. I think I managed it correctly and installed it and rebooted and got the blinking light, GREAT, at last I got a blinking light.

But. . . .

That’s all I have. A light that blinks and blinks on and on and on and it’s been an hour now. I finally flipped it off, tried it with and without the card, with the card I get the blinking light, without it I get nada.

I guess I’ll wait for the card from PS Audio and then if that doesn’t work, ask for an RMA and send it back.

Sigh.

Did you install a kit? If so what is theversion of the bootloader? If it is less than 1.13 call Alex at PS audio and have hom email you a Bootloader upgrade. That should fix your issue.

Dennis

I did not install one, PS Audio installed one for me, received it about five weeks ago.

I’m emailing Mayoura and I’ll ask about the Bootloader file. I don’t know what version I have, all I have now is a flashing light, no display.

Don’t you have a card reader in your PC so you can inspect the SD card?

I don’t have a PC. I have a MacBook.

The card has the files that I downloaded from PS Audio on it, and nothing else.

Fair enough.

My point was that you may check the loader.cfg with a text editor to verify that it is pointing to the correct files on the card.

Also, make sure that the SD card is physically unlocked (write access).

The files should be unzipped and put into the root dir. of the card (no folder).

The card should work with SDHC 4-16GB and should be formatted with FAT16 (have you reformattet it on your mac by any chance?).

That is something I don’t think I can accomplish. This is the only time I’ve ever dealt with cards. If I’m lucky when I get the card from PS Audio in a few days it will be properly set up and I’ll have a functioning DirectStream again.

This is the card that I pulled out of the back of the unit. Sigh. I will probably stick with this firmware version in the future, this is a PIA for some of us, and not what I bargained for when I bought the machine.

fva, did you ever get yours functioning?

No problems encountered, however it is important to not mix file names/versions and loader info. That has happened.

Edit:

Sorry, I now see you addressed fva.

Yes, as he last reported the same situation that I have.