Improved Power Supply for Router worth it?

I’m using an ASUS router, which has a wall-wart rated at 19v, 1.75a.
Just wondering if it’s worth replacing with an LPS, or if anyone has any recommendations for one?
I’ve got an Ethernet filter in front of the DSD/Bridge, and an iPower for the Netgear Ethernet switch, but I’ve wondered whether cleaner power for the router would make any difference.
Anyone with experience on this care to comment?

Probably not. The switch mode regulators inside would need to be replaced to realize the most benefit but even then it’s a modest gain compared to other ‘tweaks’ in my experience.

Better spend the money for a separate power line for the Stereo. You‘ll catch the effect for the router supply/stereo influence and add a load more.

I’ve got dedicated circuits for the power amps, and the low-level stuff on third and fourth lines. But that’s a little off-topic.

So if you run the router on a different cirquit and also have an ethernet filter in front of the bridge , why do you think a better router power supply should have noticeable impact?

IMO the only improvement it should give is put less noise into the power circuit where the router is connected. As this circuit is separate from the audio circuit and the router itself doesn’t really have sound quality sensibility, you just might have a little more noise in front of the ethernet filter…so if the filter is good, there should be hardly any impact.

On the other hand such a separate new power supply shouldn’t be that expensive. If you try it, I’d be interested in your findings.

EtherRegen or at least get a switch in between with linear power supply.

I found this dead thread so I do not need to create a new one.

It has been many years and I am sure there are more streamers that have experiences with using dedicated power supply for their routers. So, does a LPS for router make any SQ difference? My guess is it may make a difference for wired connection, but how about a streamer uses Wi-fi, or uses a satellite?

My own experience is that when I used a IFI Xpower plug for my Orbi satellite (connecting to the switch) and plugged into P15 generator, it made a noticeable improvement. My main router is upstairs and it plugged into an old conditioner. I am not sure if it makes sense to improve the PS for it.

2 Likes

I have 4 or 5 devices in a cupboard, mainly an Innuos music server. I got a decent conditioner off eBay primarily for component isolation, cost me $250. I put iFi 5v and 9v low noise units on the switch and media converter. They are only about $70 each. For relatively little money, seems a worthwhile thing to do. The main thing is that the Innuos is connected directly to the streamer over the fiver connection, and both this cupboard and the audio system have dedicated power lines.

3 Likes

I put an iFi iPower Elite on my router and got modest, but worthwhile results. In the context of a borderline six figures streaming system, I thought it worthwhile…

1 Like

I’m having a lot of emails during last days with Sean Jacobs to find out PSU specs that can match my FritzBox! 5530 router and, in his opinion, should bring me objective improvements.
Very expensive products indeed but I trust in him and soon I’ll buy what he is going to build custom made for my needs. A very nice, serious and respected professional gentleman to discuss with!

I already bought from him custom made umbilicals for my Statement, they matter and the difference is not subtle.

5 Likes

This could be a major improvement since router/node is very noisy. You’ll let us know.

1 Like

Did you get Mundorf silver/gold wire for the umbilicals from him? It’s all upgrade he offers in his power supplies, and the AS group seems to mostly like it for DC power supply & cable applications.

1 Like

It’s a DC3 PSU with a few upgrades from DC4, like DC4-spec rectifier and Mundorf capacitor (RECAP) module, Neotech OCC wiring internal and external umbilical with Oyade gold connectors, without LED and with a ground post I specifically asked to connect CAD GC.1 spade wire.
Being built to feed a simple router Sean suggested to save money and don’t look for further expensive upgrades. I can always upgrade Mundorf silver umbilicals in future if it worth the money for the use it is needed in my system. This configuration costs around 1,500 GBP.

As for Statement’s umbilicals already bought from him, yes they are Mundorf silver-gold. Around 1,000 GBP.

2 Likes