Interesting twist on power cables

Would you mind sharing which power cords you were using in conjunction with your Everest audition? That sounds unusual, given the other reviews I’ve read, but I’m sure it was that way, in your system, for your ears.

Understanding which power cords for input to the Everest and output to the components could be useful for me in some upcoming decisions. I’m using various levels of Venom, Delta, Alpha and Sigma in my office and home systems, and I’m likely settling on Sigma for the two channel amps and processor / pre-amp at home. Alpha should be good for everything else.

Now here’s a twist how about the effects of M1 or SR Purple fuses
on sensitive scientific and medical gear :thinking: Interesting

Best wishes

PM sent.

When using the Everest… going with the best power cord that you can afford in the latest Shunyata v2 NR series would be my recommendation. From my past experience with Shunyata…these new cords are way,way better sounding than their previous wire design attempts…When I went from an Anaconda VX to a Alpha XC and then to a Sigma XC for my Everest…the difference in emotion and impact on the music was not subtle at all…it was transforming!!!

If and when I can afford it…my amp,preamp and CD player will be entirely Sigma v2 NR’s…And if I ever hit the lottery… I would run the Omega QR-S and the Omega XC in a heartbeat!Color me impressed with the latest Shunyata efforts! Good luck with your search.

3 Likes

Matt and I extensively tested Shunyata Hydra components, he will remember the names as he ordered them. We put them up against the lowly P15, not my P20. In each case we strongly preferred the P15.

I’m a Shunyata Fanboy. My Shunyata spares are in many homes. I am not surprised about their success in medical. The cables mentioned in the article were lower level Shunyata power cables. What would a Sigma do? I was going to start buying Shunyata V2 cables but I got sidetracked by another brand. Perhaps I’m missing out?

3 Likes

My second system is entirely powered by Shunyata.
Over the years I’ve had many, including Sigma V1.
I don’t know what their V2 versions mean technically, but the improvement is easy to demonstrate. The difference, in fact, allows me to use lesser models for even better performance: for ex. Delta V2 sounds better than Alpha V1.

3 Likes

I’d say it is not a good fit for the Decware SE84UFO feeding PAP Trio 15 speakers. The difference between the P15 and the Everest was a slight thickening or smearing for lack of better words, most noticeable on saxophone. My bias leaned to the Everest going into it. I believe an aspect contributing to a preference for the P15 is the high level of incoming AC waveform distortion as indicated by the P15, 6-6.5%, giving the “edge” to the P15. By no way is this meant to take anything away from the Everest or an endorsement of the P15. Power cords used were a borrowed Shunyata Alpha V2 and my PSA AC-12. This exercise has me reconsidering PCs once again. A Shunyata Alpha V2 may be in the cards in the future, but not until I receive and evaluate my new Decware SE84UFO25. If it is not up to snuff, my bias is not likely, then the next move is a Pass XA25 which is considered to be an ideal partner for the PAP Trio15.

1 Like

I don’t have any exposure to the v1 cables, but I’m using their v2 in a number of positions. I’ve read both “professional” and personal reviews saying the v2 products are a significant step up, mirroring @RonP 's comment above: a v2 Alpha outperforms a v1 Sigma.

The v2 Alpha is, in my system to my ears, easily worth the price. It’s transformative, but that’s compared both to the provided power cords from manufacturers and to Shunyata’s Delta v2 cables. (I’m using NR to the components.)

The v2 Sigma blows out the v2 Alpha though. They’re my standard now for amps, preamps and DACs. Which reminds me… I probably ought to order one for the MU1.

If you’re using $5k+ power cables already, I’m not convinced they’d be worth installing. If you can find a retailer that will let you audition them in your home, that would be best.

2 Likes

Question for all you $3-5k power cable owners. Do you use them on all components? Just power hogs? How did you start wand where have you landed

Better sounding power cords has a cumulative effect, the more components you put in a better sounding cable, the better your system sounds. It doesn’t have to be $3-5k cables, there are much less costly cables that can be quite satisfying. It’s a matter of synergy with your particular system. If you do not wish to spend money on these more expensive cables, don’t listen to any, otherwise you will fall into this rabbit hole you wish you never enter.

11 Likes

‘Never a truer word’…

2 Likes

As always…horses for courses.

It’s my opinion that there is no reliable “rule of thumb”. For example, my “power hog” amplifiers’ power supplies have been unresponsive to most power cables that I fed them with.
And some of my components that draw very little current have responded very well to cables.
I’d suggest you borrow a high end cable that you like and try it on every component in your system.
Then log your thoughts. It’s a long and tedious process, but it might be worthwhile.
And I do think system synergy makes sense. I settled on Audience Front Row power cables on my primary system.

7 Likes

All of us here at one time, way or another have been down a rabbit
hole…only to find the rabbits got up and left before we got there :grin:

With my M1s and 1 Purple now in my system…the amazing sq
soundstaging with my budget Pangea AC14-9 SE MkIIs…how
could it get any betterer??? Except for the ultra $$$$$ cables…

It would be wonderful to audition those uber $$$$$ cables…
but there is still an initial outlay to accommodate a home trial
plus a return fee…all which is reasonable…but not doable
at the moment…So I stick with low hanging fruit for now :innocent:

Thanks waymanchen for the heads up :smile:

Best wishes

1 Like

That is what I use. Just wondering what sort of improvements I could see or should I say hear.

Brian my .00002 thinking is that the use of Cardas Grade one copper
plus a silver plated copper shield that is used in the SE MkII series
and so well crafted…that these Pangeas will give them a run for their
money and not be shamed by multi kilo buck pc cables…Would indeed be interesting to do a shoot out…

In order for my system to portray the amazing soundstage and sound quality that it does…to me speaks volumes about our Pangeas SE MkIIs series power cables ability to let the current flow from minute amount in delicate soft quiet passages not muffling any tiny air of space to massed strings, wind instruments, french horns, trumpets, trombones, percussion, bass instruments, triple fortes…you name it…and none of those get lost in the mix!! The SE MkII series flat out perform!!!

Is there better …but of course yes…but how far up the kilo buck
ladder do we have to climb to equal or surpass what we have…?

Great question for sure…one day maybe we get to hear and know…

Thanks brian

Happy journey
Best wishes

The world of power and what can be done with geometry, materials, shielding, connectors, fuses and absorber, vibration isolation is simply amazing. I have yet to experience a power cable, conditioner, distribution device or audio component, or digital component that cannot be made to sound better and rather cost effectively. I am in agreement with @jazznut. It is hard to listen to any priced system and not feel they could have done better. What i have managed within my system it seems no contest i first felt that that 1 year ago. Now it has gone even further. Every song I play is a new discovery of music information that wasn’t there last month or the month before. The preamp, amps and speakers have not changed.

Perhaps there is some cookie cutter system that has it all, but definitely not what I can afford. Do I still lust over the best gear. Of course would I be satisfied with after I bought it. Maybe but let me tweak it with what I learned and I can only still imagine what is possible

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply’s. I will prob stick to what I have. Only dealer near me does do Nordost so I could try them. But I will try the M1 first. When the new one comes. Probably another week at least

1 Like

That’s pretty much it. Our experiences unfortunately aren’t transportable. Recommendations can be helpful in establishing a starting point, but ultimately it comes down to system synergy and personal preference.

2 Likes