Interesting twist on power cables

9 Likes

Very interesting

1 Like

Very interesting …too bad Dr Melby hasn’t tried a PS Audio
P20…which would yield even greater power purity and thus
a better resolution of heart signals than the good results
from the Shunyata Hydra used by Dr Melby…

For those who rely solely on measurments…here is living
proof that plcs are not snake oil…

Thanks brian for sharing

Best wishes

1 Like

I take it your comments are based on your personal experience. :thinking: :wink:

1 Like

What are saying…what are you getting at?

I got the impression that your comment was based on your experience with both products in the same or similar application as offered in the Audio Beat write-up, and not a deduction based on your belief in the performance of either product. I do not doubt the PS Audio P15/P20 series performance with audio equipment. Furthermore, I find it intriguing that the Shunyata products as measured show a reduction in noise level in this particular application. A good thing for medicine.

My understanding is that Caelin Gabriel’s Shunyata Research also manufactures products for medical applications, with a focus on noise reduction. The current Power Plant Series provides for noise reduction as well as regenerated AC signal, thus removing inherent distortion of the incoming AC waveform. It is an important difference. It would be an interesting comparison of the two different products, but personally I am unaware of any with regard to medical equipment.

The measurements shown in the provided video appear to go beyond what Paul has provided most recently. Albeit his measurements also showed improvement.

“For those who rely solely on measurments…here is living
proof that plcs are not snake oil…”

Nope, that still won’t convince a lot of cable naysayers. When I’ve referenced Shunyata’s medical applications and objective evidence of efficacy in forum discussions elsewhere I’ve been met with howls of “that doesn’t have any relevance or meaning for audio applications.” :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Doubters and unbelievers…too bad…The article with the video
of Dr Melby employing Shunyata’s Hydra is very impressive…
to me anyway…Makes me think a P20 would have been even
better…

The need of medical diagnostic equipment for pure clean power
demonstrated with the results in this video…speaks volumes…
Sadly there are those that turn a deaf ear…

Best wishes

There will always be doubters. I for one found that article very informative and enjoyable.

4 Likes

In the same way, electron microscopes react even more sensible (or say on average more comprehensible) to resonance control than record players, the scenario mentioned here, is probably even more sensible to noise eliminating measures than most high end setups and proof the measures” effectiveness.

I use quite some measures and equipment (incl. cabling) very effective in the field of HF/RF/EMI noise cancelling and improving conductivity and I can say, that this completely opens up performance if the whole setup is brought to a certain level of permeability/audibility. A few steps below, there’s not rarely limited effect and potential, so I’m not surprised of different opinions about the effect of sophisticated detail measures.

In audio, those measures, if throughout, enable especially a huge amount of air and 3D realism. I’m at a level there meanwhile and made the experience again at this years Munich show, that there’s no commercially available setup anymore at any price, even with better room treatment and more spacious positioning, that has comparable realism and breathing ambiance. Not sure when high end mainstream will be able to pick this up intensively, but it’s game changing.

And back to the article and independent of any manufacturer…I can imagine that in several cases scientific or medical applications are an earlier indicator of the effectiveness of measures than the average high end setup.

1 Like

That article is from 7 years ago… Shunyata’s product today is leaps and bounds better than the old Hydra technology from yesteryear.

At least for audio applications…:grin:

4 Likes

“There are none so blind…”

2 Likes

It may be an old article, but being a surprised and very happy Shunyata consumer, I’m glad I had a chance to read it.

@davida I’m not so much doubting the capability of the Shunyata Hydra or their current Everest, in combination with the power cords referenced in the article. What I was getting at was your proclamation as to their effect and if it was directly related to your experience with either or both products. Otherwise it is based on your belief system vice personal experience that one may perform better with medical equipment.

My experience:
Currently I am using Shunyata power cords and a pair of PS Audio AC-12 power cords in a SET set-up. The Shunyata power cords have made an incremental improvement in lowering the noise floor. The PSA AC-12 are a bit forward in the upper midrange, which has been a bit of a surprise. Probably not a best fit for the SET amp. I have returned to a PSA P15 to power things up, which has opened up the sound considerably. I tried, borrowed is a better word, an Everest which lowered the noise floor more than the P15 but also had a tendency to soften things slightly, almost sounding smeared. That was a surprise as my expectation was that the Everest would provide for a certain sparkle to the sound, which it did not.

Possibly my as new pair of PSA AC-12s will be up for sale.
How the PSA P15, Everest or PSA AC-12 works with medical equipment, I dunno. But from the Audio Beat article the Hydra and venom cables cleaned things up nicely.

1 Like

None of this surprises me. I was aware of Shunyata’s serendipitous success via Melby’s experimentation. I can’t remember where I’ve read it, but it’s my understanding as well that Shunyata has established a division of the company that specializes in equipment for medical applications. There is more to Gabriel’s story than a seemingly surprising serendipitous medical experiment. Read his bio. It takes little imagination to reasonably guess he has a ton of data supporting his design approach from his previous life working in the MIC he can never publish openly. Shunyata’s success isn’t just good luck. He knows what he’s doing at the basic physics level.

6 Likes

No worries weedee…If you look at my profile you will see 1st item
listed is a P15…

As Paul has aptly put it…a plc is not a regenerator…and cannot therefore provide the benefits of regenerated ac…

Years ago Paul did a comparo between a Hydra and a Quintessence
of that same era…ran different tests…the Hydra failed Paul’s tests.
The Quintessence is a plc using Hitachi nano crystaline super saturating windings. Very expensive stuff. and it works.!!

When the Quintessence was first released it was acclaimed as a
poorman’s option to a Premier Power Plant…
My Quintessence absolutely brought my entire system up into
a whole new real of sq,

However as good as the Quintessence, it is just a plc not a regenerator. Many years later a P5 came home and that was a
Wow moment above and beyond the Quintessence. Next came
a P12 with new design upgraded clock chip…A vastly improved
sq over the P5. Later came my P15…again a much improved
sq over the previous P12 and P5.

So whereas I don’t have Shunyata products …All Shunyata has
are plcs up untill now…Having a Quintessence plc I know the
benefits of a plc…but a plc does not regenerate distorted
sine waves that robs electronic gear of their full potential.

So while the Hydra improved Dr.Melby’s lab’s resolution …
A regenrator would have done better…

Am I prejuiced and biased? Absolutely :smile: :grin: :innocent:

Best wishes

1 Like

Boo booed on this should have said super permeability
instead of super saturation…

Best wishes

Nice historical summary. Having a P15 I get it as well. The Shunyata Everest sounds very good, but as we both mentioned it does not address incoming waveform distortion. So for audio the P15 takes it up a notch. Where the incoming AC may have less distortion the Shunyata could be a better fit. My only bias is to listen and choose.

1 Like

So true…that’s how my bias occured…funny thing it is…

Happy journeying weedy

Best wishes

Weedeewop said…“ I tried, borrowed is a better word, an Everest which lowered the noise floor more than the P15 but also had a tendency to soften things slightly, almost sounding smeared. That was a surprise as my expectation was that the Everest would provide for a certain sparkle to the sound, which it did not.”…

Having lived with the Everest for some time now…the idea that it has a smeared presentation has never even entered my mind…if anything… it’s sound is very clear and precise not giving up any detail across the frequency range. It’s extremely low noise floor adds to its ability to let way more information to be heard…but in a more natural way without any extra high frequency bite.