JRIver 23 and Bridge II

The “How To” for setting up the Bridge II with JRiver Mediacenter is a little out of date. There are parameters in the instruction that are not found in Jriver 23 in the places specified. Any chance that the HOW TO could be updated? Thanks in advance!!

The output format setup is outdated too. Last was MC19.

THX

Welcome, bugeyed!

It’s great when lurkers start to post. :slight_smile:

Elk said

Welcome, bugeyed!

It’s great when lurkers start to post. :slight_smile:

Busted!

I only just took delivery of a DS DAC, but have been anticipating it for a while. Thus the “lurking”.

Kev

Don’t know if this thread will help but here goes. When I first bought the Bridge II, I had all kinds of issues with JRiver. I posted most of my journey on the following thread:

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/latest-ideas-forum/bridge-ii-reviews/page-3/

It’s a tedious read. I apologize. I can dig in pretty hard when trying to solve a problem. Hopefully you can find assistance. Also, some of the Bridge II software updates helped with problems like SetNext, so the discussion is a little out of date. Also lots of help at the JRiver support site:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?board=7.0

There is a user there, Whitebear, who wrote a great DLNA analysis tool that’s very helpful.

JRiver can be intimidating but I have learned to love it. Flexibility comes at a cost of complication. The effort, IMHO, is worth it.

bugeyed said I only just took delivery of a DS DAC, but have been anticipating it for a while. Thus the "lurking".
Congratulations! Please post your reactions after you have listened for a bit.

Lurking is very welcome, by the way.

amsco15 said

JRiver can be intimidating but I have learned to love it. Flexibility comes at a cost of complication. The effort, IMHO, is worth it.

Exactly. I have no issues since a long time. Many were fixed with using the right settings, some were NAS/network related (too slow).

To me there’s only on wthing that could better Jriver, it’s an add. button for showing albums with same artists as one’s currently listening to.

Everything else is nearly uncomparably good to other products, even GUI if one prefers all important functions reachable instead of nice but time consuming in operation like Roon (to me).

To send this thread off on the obligatory tangent … Has anyone tried the 64bit version of MC23? I bought the regular MC23 upgrade a while ago (prior to the stable version release) and held off the actual upgrading when I saw they were working on a 64bit version. The problem is the documentation indicated the 64bit version was still buggy and for advanced users. I’ve had enough computer troubles, I don’t need more, so I’m waiting unless someone can tell me how well it works. And no, I’m not going to Computer Audiophile to find out. Them folks is crazy!

pmotz said

To send this thread off on the obligatory tangent …

Well done! :slight_smile:

pmotz said

Has anyone tried the 64bit version of MC23?

Yes I have. Works great. Some claim better sound: I don’t hear it. Everything transferred from 32 to 64 bit no problem. Deleted the 32 bit version right away. The problems that exist are with video and playing remotely to a portable device. Neither items I use: 100% audio only.
pmotz said

Has anyone tried the 64bit version of MC23?

Yes, I’m also running it on 3 PCs with no issues. I didn’t A:B with the 32-bit version, so I can’t comment on it sounding better. My impression was it is intended as a performance improvement more than audio improvement.

I just installed it - Playing SACDs, CDs, 24/96 downloads fine. Didn’t try the Bridge (don’t have it hooked up.) It seemed to keep my MC22 settings (which wasn’t always true in the past.)

I probably won’t use it much unless someone has a specific question.

The last two days I experienced a problem I thought I slayed years ago. When building a playlist, once the list got to a certain point, say song 20, the list would not advance automatically. My first thought was to blame recent JRiver updates: since everything has been so stable for years. I installed older versions, chose ignore setnext, ignore polling and all the other tricks that worked before. Still the playlist got stuck at some point.

I finally just rebooted my DS. Problem solved. This is the second time in the past couple months that a DS reboot was required to solve a problem. I need to think reboot first!

P.S. For the record, JRiver and Bridge II are insanely stable. I play my stereo a lot. The only big problem with relying on computers and networking for playing music, the trouble shooting chain is long and can be complicated.

As an update, I did install the 64 bit version and it is stable. No glitches or other problems. I didn’t change any of the default setting either, with each JRiver upgrade there seem to be fewer things to change, kind of like they are listening to the users, wait, no … that can’t be it, can it?laugh

I’d appreciate updated instructions for JRIver - Bridge too. Thought I’d give it a try to see how superior the sound is to Roon.

Thanks

I posted this in another thread (http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/mqa-for-bridge-road-roon/page-7/#p83202) but will continue to try and get attention to this issue. I have confirmed that this is a Bridge Update issue.

Downloaded and installed the Bridge update a couple weeks ago when it came out. With the Bridge update, playing a playlist with different resolutions (i.e. going from 16/44.1 to 24/96 FLAC) results in a few seconds of the 24/96 song playing, then skipping the song and playing the next song in the playlist. The next song does not have album art load but the song plays audio normally. Songs after that, assuming no changes in resolution, play and load album art correctly.

I have the MConnect Setup app loaded on my Windows computer (Dennis emailed me the app sometime ago). The app allows me to load old versions of Bridge software. I loaded version 2.9.1. This version resolves the issue! I tried a playlist tonight of mixed resolution songs and everything played and loaded normally.

I’m surprised others have yet to report this issue; however, maybe most don’t utilize playlists of mixed resolution. I sure do! I am using the latest version of JRiver, V23.0.91 64 bit.

Thanks!

shaft234 said

I’d appreciate updated instructions for JRIver - Bridge too. Thought I’d give it a try to see how superior the sound is to Roon.

Thanks

Where to start. It's honestly not that hard. You have to kind of climb aboard and dig in. If you're going to use the Bridge, the setup for the bridge is buried under Tools>Options>Media Network>Add or configure DLNA servers.

I always recommend running http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra. This program was developed by an advanced JRiver user who posts frequently on their board. Make all the JRiver settings recommended by this program. JRemote is the iOS program I use to control everything remotely.

Like with all computer stuff, it’s a bit of a curve but worth it IMHO (give or take some of the issues I described above - please PS Audio look into this).

In my opinion, there is a pretty significant bug in the latest Bridge II software. You can always ask PS Audio to send you older Bridge versions and the MConnect Setup app.

Hi amsco15. I did raise this somewhere else on the forums. Here’s where I’m at least for my set up. After installing JRiver 23.0.91 and by ticking only “Ignore Transport Events” I now have no skipping, even when going from FLAC to DSD or back. However when doing that, album art for the next track fails to display. But it resumes displaying on the next file.

I informed Jeremy at PS Audio about the bridge issues and I believe he has raised them with the engineering dept. I’m hope they can sort it out. I hope so because bridge 3.4.5 streams Spotify Premium. By the way, if Spotify ever gets into High Resolution streaming, look out!

Thanks for the tip. Whitebear couldn’t detect JRiver though: it was running, WB is on my firewall’s exception list, tried with Windows Discovery enabled. I’m sure I could get JRiver running if I were dying to. But, I’m not interested in software that hasn’t been refined enough to take some of the pain out of this.

Thanks. I tried ignore “SetNext” but not “ignore transport events” and it had no effect. Figures I didn’t try “ignore transport events!” I’m going to stick with 2.9.1 till I hear something on the board. Thanks much for posting and communicating with Jeremy!