OK, back in business. Fully restored, about 400 albums total, or only 5500 tracks. In my old system I did have my library on an external USB drive, so all the HD files were there. The trouble, though, is that it was attached to the original computer when it died, so I have no idea if the HDD failure was caused a virus or just a firmware problem on the HDD.
The reason I say this is that when I went to transfer the backup I’d created from the original system that was stored on the USB drive, only the file folders were transferred, and none of the file contents, and then there were no file contents in the backup section of the USB drive. But, in separate folders, my music was still in separate folders. I ran a virus scan on the USB drive (it took forever) and it had found some viruses in the backup section mentioned above, but never finished the scan. Hmm. So the USB may have been contaminated with a virus.
So, being cautions, I hooked up the USB drive to my laptop and transferred the HD music files to USB sticks, 32GB at a time, then transferred those to the new computer (running a virus scan on the stick the moment I plugged it into the new computer) that took a while, but at least I had all my HD content up on the new machine.
Then I made a full image clone of the HDD on another removable HDD and now keep that in the safe.
Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I’m up and recovered and have a full backup for all the music and photos on a separate removable drive that’s now in the safe. So if the virus kills the new machine, at least I have a backup.
Runs fine with JRiver through the Bridge, even the new albums I bought that I hadn’t ripped before the HDD crash are fully accessible
Now I have to figure out why the right channel seems to be acting like one of the balanced paths is intermittent (cuts in and out)
But I’m back . . .