JRiver has updated JRemote for iOS10!

For those of us balking at the price of Roon but may have been forced to when JRemote crashed with the Apple iOS10 update, there was a nice surprise yesterday when the App store listed an update for JRemote to fix the bugs for iOS 10. I installed it, but seeing as how my computer HDD crashed back in October and I’m still recovering I don’t know how well it works yet with JR 21.

BUT: it’s now available, and for those transitioning to the DMP who only need Bridge for background use and don’t want to pay $120 a year for Roon, this may be an acceptable cheaper alternative.

–SSW

JRemote working fine for me on 10.1.1 with JRMC 22. Not sure it compares to Roon in terms of Tidal integration, Internet Radio, metadata, etc. but it does work with Zones and Groups nicely.

1 Like

Mine locked up when the new iOS was force-installed into my phone, so I was thinking about Roon as there was a rumor that no one was supporting JRemote any more after the software creator got into a tiff with JRiver. But I balked at the Roon price tag.

So the other day when I saw it was being updated for the new iOS I was excited, especially if it’s only going to be used as a server for background music if/when I get a DMP.

YMMV.

–SSW

I held off updating to iOS 10 on my iPad because of the warning that that jRemote didn’t work properly. When I saw your post I updated to iOS 10 but no update has shown to be as an available update. Any ideas?

I’ve been away on business for a few days but installed the JRemote update before I left. Based on VERY LIMITED experience they seem to have addressed the issues. Wouldn’t swear there are no bugs (and once I briefly had an issue clearing the playlist but it did not recur). Note that the update only works on iOS 10. Hopefully the old version remains available for those on older OS versions.

I’m in the process of re-ripping my entire redbook CD collection after my hard drive died on my PC. Have to stay at the machine swapping out discs, so honestly I haven’t tried just yet. But it was available from the app store as an upgrade and I loaded it as soon as I saw it was available.

I’ll let you know.

–SSW

Streets Still Works said I'm in the process of re-ripping my entire redbook CD collection after my hard drive died on my PC.
Ouch!
Elk said Ouch!
The real ouch was when i took it in to Geek Squad and even though I had made recovery disc way back then they said they couldn't get Win7 loaded to the point where it would accept updates. So only 1 day after Microsoft stopped providing OEM Win7 uploads I wound up buying a refurbished Win7 machine (I need 7 because the one software package I have won't work on 8 or 10). I had to go through many hoops to get the Win7 updater to work and then reload all the updates.

BUT: it’s up and running now. I had made a backup on a 1Tb flash drive, but when I went to upload it to the new machine a lot of file folders showed up, but not the data. So, not to transfer any virus from the old machine to the new that could have caused the HDD to crash, I just decided to re-rip all the redbook and then see if I can download all my HDtracks for the high rez stuff.

Gaah. Using dBpoweramp. One album has a damaged spot on it and it’s taking forever to rip.

–SSW

Streets Still Works said

Gaah. Using dBpoweramp. One album has a damaged spot on it and it’s taking forever to rip.

Instead of beating your drive to death, you might consider using CUETools which has the ability to correct some amount of errors in ripped files. I find the interface a little non-intuitive, but there is a path where you can correct errors on a disc and via, say, the AccurateRip and CUETools database have some degree of confidence that those corrections are correct.

With dBpoweramp I don’t use the secure mode at all: with the AccurateRip database you can see if your data matches others and get the ripping done a lot faster, and in the end, probably more reliably.

Ted what is the secure mode ?

I may have confused the terms in my earlier post: Here’s a long winded description of the issues: http://www.dbpoweramp.com/secure-ripper.htm

Anyway I use dBpoweramp’s burst mode and on the rare tracks that fail I first try a rerip and then CUETools. Often if there are still errors polishing the disk with a paper towel (and then toothpaste if the paper towel doesn’t work by itself) will get it to rip. (I don’t mind a little potential damage to a disc if I can get a clean rip. YMMV.) Some people find that some of the disc cleaning fluids (including distilled/deionized water) can help, I usually haven’t bothered with that.

As a mild abrasive, toothpaste is a great idea and readily available.

As the bottom of the disc is simply clear plastic, I use plastic polish/scratch remover to buff out any flaws.

Rogerdn, yours is a dreadful story. :frowning:

Elk said

Rogerdn, yours is a dreadful story. :frowning:

?

I’m sorry; this should have referred to Streets.

Elk said I'm sorry; this should have referred to Streets.
That's what I thought but I share you sentiments.....

About 75 more to rip, of only 300 or so total. So it’s not so bad. Then hopefully I can re-download my high-rez.

But I am doing a full-disk copy to another HDD this time so I don’t have to go through all this again.

Thanks for the support, as always. You guys are always there when I need it.

–SSW

I keep multiple back-ups (had too many hard drives fail over the years not to be a bit paranoid) but I’m curious about whether HDtracks will let you re-download everything. Hope so. Good luck and keep us posted.

stevem2 said I keep multiple back-ups (had too many hard drives fail over the years not to be a bit paranoid) but I'm curious about whether HDtracks will let you re-download everything. Hope so. Good luck and keep us posted.
Not easily. You have to contact customers service and they have to re-enable each album for downloading again. I think I had to provide an order number, too. I've done it a few times for individual albums but I imagine it would be time consuming if you have a lot of purchased material from them. Much easier to keep your own backups.

OK, back in business. Fully restored, about 400 albums total, or only 5500 tracks. In my old system I did have my library on an external USB drive, so all the HD files were there. The trouble, though, is that it was attached to the original computer when it died, so I have no idea if the HDD failure was caused a virus or just a firmware problem on the HDD.

The reason I say this is that when I went to transfer the backup I’d created from the original system that was stored on the USB drive, only the file folders were transferred, and none of the file contents, and then there were no file contents in the backup section of the USB drive. But, in separate folders, my music was still in separate folders. I ran a virus scan on the USB drive (it took forever) and it had found some viruses in the backup section mentioned above, but never finished the scan. Hmm. So the USB may have been contaminated with a virus.

So, being cautions, I hooked up the USB drive to my laptop and transferred the HD music files to USB sticks, 32GB at a time, then transferred those to the new computer (running a virus scan on the stick the moment I plugged it into the new computer) that took a while, but at least I had all my HD content up on the new machine.

Then I made a full image clone of the HDD on another removable HDD and now keep that in the safe.

Anyway, sorry for the long story, but I’m up and recovered and have a full backup for all the music and photos on a separate removable drive that’s now in the safe. So if the virus kills the new machine, at least I have a backup.

Runs fine with JRiver through the Bridge, even the new albums I bought that I hadn’t ripped before the HDD crash are fully accessible

Now I have to figure out why the right channel seems to be acting like one of the balanced paths is intermittent (cuts in and out)

But I’m back . . .

–SSW

Good to hear, except the last bit. It’s always something.