KInd Of Blue UHQR, 45 RPM

Because so they utilize the area where tracking error and distortion is smallest and speed of the record fastest. This seems more important than using even more space for the grooves in case of the KOB. They even did this on the above mentioned single sided release (sure, it’s the same metal work). It sometimes makes sense to trust the cutting experts I guess. If we put together all jigsaw pieces we ever heard of, it’s not always right for a special situation. Could be for the next however. Not everything we read of in Hifi mags put together, makes us experts I’d say.

When you ask me about Decca classical originals…there the ones cut the most to the label are best…probably because they are 33RPM and so the ones cut less to the label have less wide grooves but still no advantage of using a nameable better section of the record, distortion and speed wise.

MMMMMMMaybe they know what they’re doing?
Just a thought.

Bit of an exaggeration, depending on the running time of the album and length of tracks. With genres that have long tracks, sometimes you can’t fit more than one on a side. This Dan Double Disc I just got is over 50 minutes of total runtime, and the songs are however long they are, and so some sides have tracks running very close to the label and others less. The torque on the cantilever on the inner groove tracks is crazy - like a motorcycle continually rounding a tight curve at speed. So if I’m going to bother with a four-sided 45, I’d just as soon they give the tracks whatever breathing room they can. Realized that I need to sort out a separate anti-skate setting for playing 45s. A PITA on VPIs with the little rubber tires.

2 Likes

Do you actually adjust for 45s?

I have not yet, as I have few 45s and don’t play the ones I have often. But I’ve been trying to sort out some issues with my 'table/cart and was watching it up close on a USB microscope, tracking in real time. On a 33 the cantilever remains perpendicular-ish (with the current anti-skate setting) while on the 45, it is bent over to the right as you face the cart a quite surprising amount. Kind of not optimal sonically. Which is making me Kind of…oh never mind😝

How can I ask this without doing a bit?
How long is your tonearm?

1 Like

Badump-tissshhh.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ten and a Half Inches. Haven’t had any complaints.:man_shrugging:t2:

Ba-dump, tisshh.

1 Like

M. Fremer once told me that this issue was less severe with shorter arms.
Buhdum

I reckon so. I’ll have to look at the old Scout with the 9" to see if the deflection is less. Though that’s a different cart, so🤷🏻‍♂️