Kit Install Issues

Rossop,

Mine is a PWD2, but I hope to have my kit in the next couple of weeks. I believe mine is the first on order in Oz, but likely there will be a bunch all arrive together. @assisi and I will probably sit down and do the upgrade together assuming our kits arrive at the same time. If you get yours as well we can Skype to go through it together if you will be more comfortable. PM me if you are interested.

A very kind offer. :)

I found the issue why the bridge is hanging up. I use Jriver Mac and the directions for Jriver to stream over the network placing a check for “Bitstream DSD”. When I remove the check Jriver and the bridge play great together. I went back added the check and the bridge immediately froze. So is this Jriver, or is this wait on Bridge II. Damn does this thing sound great. It was wonderful yesterday but today I cannot peel myself away from the music. I just pulled myself away from ELO’s Fire on High, the speakers disappeared from the room, and literally at the beginning of the song the stage was right there in front of me the effects and instruments are just unreal!!d

Glad you got it up and running… wish I had

erikm said Glad you got it up and running.. wish I had

I hope you get sorted asap

+1!

gocubs42 said I found the issue why the bridge is hanging up. I use Jriver Mac and the directions for Jriver to stream over the network placing a check for "Bitstream DSD". When I remove the check Jriver and the bridge play great together. I went back added the check and the bridge immediately froze. So is this Jriver, or is this wait on Bridge II. Damn does this thing sound great. It was wonderful yesterday but today I cannot peel myself away from the music. I just pulled myself away from ELO's Fire on High, the speakers disappeared from the room, and literally at the beginning of the song the stage was right there in front of me the effects and instruments are just unreal!!d

Do you mean Media Network> add or configure DLNA server> advanced> (check box) Bitstream DSD (requires DoPE compliant renderer)?

If so did you have it checked before the update & did the Bridge work then?

i checked the box after installing the kit. Bridge froze, unchecked the box today and bridge worked. Checked the box again and the bridge froze

Yes, the box checked and unchecked was located at DLNA server>advanced> (check box) Bitstream DSD

I am planning on moving to Jriver on MAC, so I may have the same issue. Isn’t the way we are supposed to send DSD to the bridge over Dope? Doesn’t unchecking the Bitstream DSD make DSD non native? Hope we can get al this sorted out.

Jriver with Jremote is great. Over the next few days I’m going to temporally move my IMac to the Directstream and run jriver via usb. I don’t know the answer to your question about checked and unchecked. Maybe someone can help us out

@erikm Ok, we just got finished with Erik’s DAC and it worked fine, the holes lined up perfectly, we did not modification. My guess is the installation instructions weren’t clear enough, else Erik wouldn’t have had a problem. We didn’t tell people to do it the exact same way Bill showed us in the video.

So here’s the deal. When the RCA and XLR connectors are soldered onto the board, they aren’t all exactly straight. This is normal. When you place the analog board into the back of DirectStream, if the connectors are a bit out of alignment it’ll pull the board one way or the other, as it did in the case of Erik’s, and the mounting holes won’t line up.

If you watch the installation video, you’ll note that the mounting holes are the LAST thing Bill does, not the first.

To fix Erik’s unit we simply cinched up the rear screws that hold the analog board as well as the connectors to the back panel. When you do this, it pulls the analog board into alignment and then the mounting holes line up just right. Hope that makes sense.

So when you’re putting the analog board in, attach it to the back panel with the screws first, then set the unit down and put the screws in the mounting holes.

Erik’s unit is on the way back to him. No worries and we’re glad we had a chance to see for ourselves what happened and why the confusion. Thanks Erik.kiss

Paul McGowan said @erikm Ok, we just got finished with Erik's DAC and it worked fine, the holes lined up perfectly, we did not modification. My guess is the installation instructions weren't clear enough, else Erik wouldn't have had a problem. We didn't tell people to do it the exact same way Bill showed us in the video.

So here’s the deal. When the RCA and XLR connectors are soldered onto the board, they aren’t all exactly straight. This is normal. When you place the analog board into the back of DirectStream, if the connectors are a bit out of alignment it’ll pull the board one way or the other, as it did in the case of Erik’s, and the mounting holes won’t line up.

If you watch the installation video, you’ll note that the mounting holes are the LAST thing Bill does, not the first.

To fix Erik’s unit we simply cinched up the rear screws that hold the analog board as well as the connectors to the back panel. When you do this, it pulls the analog board into alignment and then the mounting holes line up just right. Hope that makes sense.

So when you’re putting the analog board in, attach it to the back panel with the screws first, then set the unit down and put the screws in the mounting holes.

Erik’s unit is on the way back to him. No worries and we’re glad we had a chance to see for ourselves what happened and why the confusion. Thanks Erik.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes perfect sense. My kit is due tomorrow and this makes me a LOT more relaxed about the install. I’m going to put up the duct tape and pop rivets now. :wink:

Paul McGowan said @erikm Ok, we just got finished with Erik's DAC and it worked fine, the holes lined up perfectly, we did not modification. My guess is the installation instructions weren't clear enough, else Erik wouldn't have had a problem. We didn't tell people to do it the exact same way Bill showed us in the video.

Erik’s unit is on the way back to him. No worries and we’re glad we had a chance to see for ourselves what happened and why the confusion. Thanks Erik.

Thanks Paul,

I will sleep better now.

Two things:

1/ have you guys encountered the Bridge freezing when using JRMC to stream DSD files that gocubs42 described above? I have checked the Bitstream DSD files already in anticipation of getting the DS. The Bridge does not freeze but my DAC is still a PWD mk II.

2/ in Bills video there is no mention of the little copper grounding strip that we used on the PWD mk I and II. Is this important?

@rossop

Well, I have never experienced this with the Bridge but then I have really been focusing on USB more than the Bridge.

The copper tape isn’t all that important. We do it to stay “street legal” with the EMI gendarmes but I wouldn’t sweat it at all. When I did the install I blew it off. We have made sure the copper tape is now in all the kits.

Well I feel really stupid. Seriously really effing STUPID. And I watched the video THREE GOD DAMN TIMES!

Jeez, maybe my wife’s been right all these years… Thank goodness she doesn’t read these forums

I don’t think there’s a font big enough to describe how stupid I feel…embarassed

erikm, no need to beat yourself up. From what I can see every single one of us who installed kits had issues. I think Mayoura said she had heard from just about all of us at some point yesterday. There were times when things did not seem to want to line up for me and I was almost ready to give up (because I did not want to force things either) but I somehow managed in the end. It was not easy. It sounds like your board appeared to be more out of alignment than most of ours. Sending it back to PS was a smarter move than trying to force things when you don’t know what you can force and what you can’t. Have a couple drinks and look forward to listening to your DS. At least you will know it was built right (I’ll always have a little doubt that maybe I messed something up that won’t show up until later).

erikm said Well I feel really stupid. Seriously really effing STUPID. And I watched the video THREE GOD DAMN TIMES!

Jeez, maybe my wife’s been right all these years… Thank goodness she doesn’t read these forums

I don’t think there’s a font big enough to describe how stupid I feel…

Don’t worry about it.

Just wait till I get mine Downunder. Gordon says all kits for Oz have to be installed upside down & I am still waiting for the left handed screw driver he sent me. Damned postal service…!

Seriously, if it is possible to stuff up the install I will find a way.

I look forward to your post re. sound quality of the new DS. Enjoy.

Thanks guys… I guess at least I know it works…

@erikm, your experience is a good lesson for the rest of us waiting for our kits. For that I say thank you. Now for me I know I must carefully follow the video, and as stevem2 said it really did work out okay for you. I agree you did the right thing by sending it back. The alternative could have been an unhappy one!

@Paul, and I want to mention that Everyone I dealt with at PSA was absolutely outstanding… KUDOS to Alex, Magoura, And Dave they were all outstanding.

You’re lucky to have such great people, and so are we!