DS DAC / Bridge Freeze

I thought I’d start a new topic for this problem as it seems to be affecting more than just me.

Bridge Version 0.2.15a…DS DAC Version 1.1.5

Fourth day after the update to DS (Mk1>Mk2>DS) I have had maybe half a dozen freezes. I use JRMC to stream via PLCs to Bridge. I like to play a lot of playlists. Mainly flac but now some dsf files. The Bridge goes all right and I can still use JR to pause and play music even when frozen. It’s just the DS & remote control that don’t work. The DS needs to be rebooted from the rear & I get an annoying pop through the speakers.

Yesterday it did it once and after the reboot played for hours without a problem. This morning it was eight tracks in (track 5 dsf) when it froze. You can tell it’s frozen because it gets halfway through the cover art display and stops, leaving the bottom half of the cover art screen black. Now after a reboot (muted my pre) its OK again.

Needless to say this never happened to me with the PWD.

It’s not too bad as I can still play music but it would be nice if it got sorted without this Bridge 2 that I have been hearing about!

rossop said I thought I'd start a new topic for this problem as it seems to be affecting more than just me.

Bridge Version 0.2.15a…DS DAC Version 1.1.5

Fourth day after the update to DS (Mk1>Mk2>DS) I have had maybe half a dozen freezes. I use JRMC to stream via PLCs to Bridge. I like to play a lot of playlists. Mainly flac but now some dsf files. The Bridge goes all right and I can still use JR to pause and play music even when frozen. It’s just the DS & remote control that don’t work. The DS needs to be rebooted from the rear & I get an annoying pop through the speakers.

Yesterday it did it once and after the reboot played for hours without a problem. This morning it was eight tracks in (track 5 dsf) when it froze. You can tell it’s frozen because it gets halfway through the cover art display and stops, leaving the bottom half of the cover art screen black. Now after a reboot (muted my pre) its OK again.

Needless to say this never happened to me with the PWD.

It’s not too bad as I can still play music but it would be nice if it got sorted without this Bridge 2 that I have been hearing about!

kckuepper reported on a thread this morning that his problem was related to the cover art and ever since he took out the SD card he had no more problems. It's all consistent with getting an error writing the cover art that freezes the PIC. Dennis knows about it now but I don't know when it'll get fixed.

Let us know if just removing the SD card fixes it for you.

Thanks Ted…I didn’t see kckuepper’s post. So I got a 2G card and did a long FAT format and rebooted with that. I will report. I just started playing with the new card. The annoying pop only occurs when I have had a freeze. When no freeze there is no pop.

Its strange really because when all is good I have the display dimmed and don’t care about cover art etc. but when there is a problem I am all over it. A bit silly, I know.

This time, with the new card, it played 20 songs before it froze. The cover art display stopped with about 1/4 inch left. Not half way through like before.

I will now try without the card.

I can report that I just played eighty odd songs, including dsf files, for about three hours with no freeze. This is WITHOUT a 2g card. Even with the one I did a long format on froze. So no card (&no artwork).Artwork would be nice though.

I can report the exact same behaviour. Initially I thought I had solved the problem by using another SD card but the problem came back. Kit install - very frequent freezes with old PWD SD card - less frequent freezes with new SD card that came with the kit- no freezes without an SD card. It could be that the new DS hardware is more demanding on the quality of the SD card (write speed, voltage or whatever). However it seems strange that writing a 50k .bmp file to an SD card creates a problem. I haven’t got a higher quality SD card at hand to play with but this could be the issue.

Another problem could be that the coverart.bmp file is replaced on the card over an over again. That probably means that the same physical sectors are used and over time are subject to thousands of re-writes that could affect the reliability of the card over time. Not sure if there is another option to store the .bmp file temporarily but due to the fact that it adds a variable in terms of hardware quality it could lead to problems and as we see in some cases they have already materialised.

Kurt

kckuepper said I can report the exact same behaviour. Initially I thought I had solved the problem by using another SD card but the problem came back. Kit install - very frequent freezes with old PWD SD card - less frequent freezes with new SD card that came with the kit- no freezes without an SD card. It could be that the new DS hardware is more demanding on the quality of the SD card (write speed, voltage or whatever). However it seems strange that writing a 50k .bmp file to an SD card creates a problem. I haven't got a higher quality SD card at hand to play with but this could be the issue.

Another problem could be that the coverart.bmp file is replaced on the card over an over again. That probably means that the same physical sectors are used and over time are subject to thousands of re-writes that could affect the reliability of the card over time. Not sure if there is another option to store the .bmp file temporarily but due to the fact that it adds a variable in terms of hardware quality it could lead to problems and as we see in some cases they have already materialised.

Kurt

Hi Kurt…good to see you’re on the job. There are no freezers when no card is installed. I’m sure Ted and Dennis will look into a fix.

I have faced this problem too many a times. Mostly with long playlists.

Ted/Dennis - are you guys suggesting that if I don’t have the SD card this problem would be solved ? But in my understanding without SD card the cover arts will not get displayed even.

Regards,

Sourav

Some good detective work guys.

"hot spots on the cards may indeed cause issues. It is the basis for many related discussions.

worth looking into.

I need an SD card that causes the freeze issue. Can I get someone to mail it to me at PSaudio? This will be the only way I can fix it. Mark it attention Dennis, and email me if you do.

Dennis

The similar experience while using a NEW (PSA) sd card may indicate the issue is more with the write to the card than the actual card.

add to the pot that I also suggested and had improved installation results when of fashionably reformatting the card.

perhaps there is something in the protocol that does not like constant rewriting of the same file ID?

gordon said The similar experience while using a NEW (PSA) sd card may indicate the issue is more with the write to the card than the actual card.

add to the pot that I also suggested and had improved installation results when of fashionably reformatting the card.

perhaps there is something in the protocol that does not like constant rewriting of the same file ID?

Unfortunatly I can not reproduce it with any of the Cards I have been using.

Dennis

Dennis

upon a review of some of my notes, it also happened while using the USB input. It was however with some of the older beta versions and NOT 6115.

gordon said Dennis

upon a review of some of my notes, it also happened while using the USB input. It was however with some of the older beta versions and NOT 6115.

When my update to DS was performed 6115 was loaded (DS DAC version 1.1.5). via Bridge I get freezes with that card and also a fresh long formatted 2G SD card also freezes. No card no freeze but no cover art. All via bridge only.

rossop said
gordon said Dennis

When my update to DS was performed 6115 was loaded (DS DAC version 1.1.5). via Bridge I get freezes with that card and also a fresh long formatted 2G SD card also freezes. No card no freeze but no cover art. All via bridge only.

Can you, or someone on this forum, volunteer a SD card that has the problem? If Dennis had it here we could probably fix it.

If you, or anyone reading this, has a freezing problem that is solved by removing a SD card, send us the card. Email me directly and I’ll send a call tag. Don’t touch the card - just remove it and send it.

Thanks.

Paul McGowan said
rossop said
gordon said Dennis

Can you, or someone on this forum, volunteer a SD card that has the problem? If Dennis had it here we could probably fix it.

If you, or anyone reading this, has a freezing problem that is solved by removing a SD card, send us the card. Email me directly and I’ll send a call tag. Don’t touch the card - just remove it and send it.

Thanks.

No worries Paul…I just loaded the 2G card that I did a long format on. If /when it freezes I will email you and send it where ever you like. It probably wont freeze now but lets see.

The 2G card froze the DS after four songs. I took it out & emailed Paul. Just waiting for him to give me directions. Listening to Hendrix live, Machinegun. Sounds great too!

Hi all. First time poster here. I’ve found out that if I use any remote function ( volume, gain, balance, etc.)before the cover art comes up the screen will freeze. Usually with playlists I’m having to adjust volume levels as a new track starts and before the cover art comes up. If I setup a long playlist without using the remote, the screen will not freeze!

I originally had the PWD, upgraded to MKII, to DS kit and use the bridge exclusively. BTW, I can't say enough about this amazing DAC.

Bravo! Paul, Ted, et all!

It freezes for me even if I don’t use the remote. Last time I loaded the 2G card and took my dog for a walk. When I came back a half hour later it was still playing but the DS had froze during the forth track. It displayed three quarters of the album art when it froze.

Anyway Im waiting for directions from Paul McGowan as to where to send the card.

Like you I play a lot of playlists. I use JRMC 19s Media Network to apply Volume Levelling so as to avoid huge swings in volume. If you are interested you can find out all about it in the How To section.

Let me tell you a little more about my setup. I use Asset UPnP media server, I find it has the best SQ, and elyric controlled from an IPod gen2. It is a bit inconvenient having to adjust volume levels now and then with playlists, but I want to keep things simple on the streaming side.

As long as I allow the cover art to come up (ten to twenty seconds) on each track I can use ether the DS remote or the IPOD. If I am playing tracks from the same CD, in other words the same art work, everything is normal no problems. Once I get a screen freeze, I can still select and play tracks with the IPOD, but with no volume control. I’ve also had the same result as others with pulling the SD card, all remote functions are normal, but of course with out artwork. Please let me know if anyone is having the same problem, or can reproduce the results I am getting.

Thanks