LP Cover art! Where it played a major role for you…

In my youth/young adulthood, I was known to purchase unknown artists because the cover art led me to believe I knew what the music would be like. Sometimes it worked for me (Fogelberg’s “Souvenirs,” the Talbot Brothers self-titled Warner Bros album that followed the demise of Mason Proffit, and the first Ozark Mountain Daredevils album) , and sometimes it didn’t (Michael Murphey’s very lightweight “Blue Sky Night Thunder”). Probably the only time I ever purchased just because I liked the art, with no regard to the music, was in '76 when I bought Uriah Heep’s “Magician’s Birthday.” That one didn’t stick around long (which of these things is not like the others?).

tbros

In the early 70’s I knew at least two people who would buy Olivia Newton John albums, consign the record to the back of a cupboard, and mount the album covers on their walls. In view of her music they may have had the right approach, :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Carly Simon - No Secrets

2 Likes

Great cover by artist Dan Hillier. Have the album, only listened once. Wish I’d bought the artwork when I had the chance.

1 Like

Reminds me of this (crazy stuff by the way).

1 Like

Challenge accepted :wink:

1 Like

I went to a talk a few years ago by Kaupo Kikkas, an Estonian photographer, who has a very distinctive style for classical musicians and album covers. The last picture, of Avishai Cohen, is fabulous. Estonia is famous for forests.

https://www.kaupokikkas.com/music

Contest has expired, I have other PM commitments.

You might say this BOC cover “played a major role” in the art that appears on my forearm!

3 Likes

Now this is a real dedication to a cover art! Let’s see if anyone can top that.

1 Like

Almost everything by Pedro Bell for Funkadelic

1 Like

Whoadie

1m

This artist is clearly a fan of Sorayama. If you haven’t heard of him, give him a look.

Speaking of… I NEVER figured out what the objects were on the Van Halen’s Diver Down Inner sleeve…

I was always fond of the Boston covers with the guitar spaceship theme,
Candy-O is a given as it came out when I was a teen into girls…
And cars…
But the best cover has to be Moody Blues - Long Distance Voyager solely because I studied it for weeks (as we always did) before I spied the Voyager satellite in the sky in the 1840 Thomas Webster “Punch” painting - thus the album name… duh!

Floyd’s flaming Wish You Were Here was cool too.

2 Likes

Perhaps oyster buckets thus Diver Down?

They look like PAR light reflectors - the backs of them during manufacture. Maybe🤷🏻‍♂️

3 Likes

3 Likes

Once I hired a gasoline version of this! I was repairig my driveway

That’s what I was thinking.