Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

Disco Biscuit of choice? : )

Bump - C’mon - you can’t tell me you go to these shows or sit around watching the YT vids while straight?!? Purely workout music? Individual, freeform dancing, like a Dead show?

(In Old Man voice) Back in the Day, sonny, we used to get hopped up on reefers and groove to the jazz ; )

Found a copy of it on eBay, US$7.68 delivered. On its way.

1 Like

Age is just a social construct. You’re all welcome to join me on the dance floor.

Says a 20 something, but when you are 64 it’s a physical constuct - as you will discover, but I will more than likely be dust by then :grin: Keep dancing.

Not necessarily. Personally I’m not taking this aging thing lying down, nor should anyone.
Yes there are limitations as we age, but many of them are self-imposed, as demonstrated by the late great Jack LaLanne.

Feats

Jack LaLanne Feats and Honors

1954 Age 40 : Swam the length of the San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge underwater with 140 pounds of equipment, including two air tanks… an undisputed world record.

1955 Age 41 : Swam, handcuffed, from Alcatraz to Fisherman’s Wharf in

San Francisco, CA.

1956 Age 42 : Set a world record of 1,033 pushups in 23 minutes on “You Asked for It, a TV Show with Art Baker.

1957 Age 43 : Swam the treacherous Golden Gate Channel, towing a 2,500-pound cabin cruiser. This involved fighting the cold, swift ocean currents that made the 1 mile swim a 6 ½ mile test of strength and endurance.

1958 Age 44 : Maneuvered a paddleboard 30 miles, 9-½ hours non-stop from Farallon Islands to the San Francisco shore.

1959 Age 45 : Completed 1,000 pushups and 1,000 chin-ups in 1 hours and 22

minutes. “Happy” is born and The Jack LaLanne Show goes nationwide

1974 Age 60 : Swam from Alcatraz Island to Fisherman’s Wharf, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1975 Age 61 : Swam the length of the Golden Gate Bridge, underwater, for a second time handcuffed, shackled and towing a 1,000-pound boat.

1976 Age 62 : Commemorating the “Spirit of ‘76”, swam 1 mile in Long Beach Harbor, handcuffed, shackled and towing 13 boats (representing the 13 original colonies) containing 76 people.

1979 Age 65 : Towed 65 boats filled with 6,500-pounds of Lousiana Pacific wood pulp while handcuffed and shackled in Lake Ashinoko, near Tokyo, Japan.

1980 Age 66 : Towed 10 boats in North Miami, Florida filled with 77 people for over a mile in less than 1 hour.

1984 Age 70 : Handcuffed, shackled and fighting strong winds and currents, towed 70 boats with 70 people from the Queen’s Way Bridge in the Long Beach Harbor to the Queen Mary, 1 ½ miles.

1 Like

Actually I enjoy it very much! I’m 61 and have been listening to this type of music for years, albeit in various forms and names based on the times. My first exposure was the long running Public Radio show “Music from the Hearts of Space”. Hearts of Space was a record label that specialized in what was then referred to as “New Age”, a horrible name and stigmatized the good music. Even the great Harry Pearson was a fan of Hearts of Space, a number of their recordings were on his “list”. You can still find Hearts of Space on the internet, though it is a “pay” service. Since then I have found the free (they accept donations and I have done so) internet radio station SOMA FM which has a number of channels, some trance oriented, some techno, some dub step. I actually found SOMA FM on JRiver, it was preinstalled in the Streaming tab. I know there are a lot more out there, but I am happy as a clam listening to Space Station SOMA while I surf the internet …

1 Like

If for the experts this is valid to be filed under “trance”, it’s the best track ever for me.

The Absolute Sound Harry Pearson Personal selection of music from Hearts of Space CD is on Tidal. Just search Absolute Sound

1 Like

Thanks for pointing that out. I had a Tidal trial for several months but had a brain freeze when it came time tp look for new stuff to listen to. Never even entered my mind to look for Harry’s HoS list. Damn, maybe that “special offer” they keep tempting me with is worth a shot!

Also, I’m no longer subscribed but if you have Spotify they had a multi “disk” complete Hearts of Space anthology. Just remembered this.

Thanks for that, haven’t tried Spotify yet, really waiting for Qobuz, but I’m not sure if I really need any of the paid services. My CD collection is big enough to keep me occupied for a long time!

That’s cool. Just figured it was worth a mention.

and on Spotify here:

I had just moved all my components to their new home except my Aesthetix Calypso preamp when lightening hit the beautiful old oak tree that was outside that room. The tree just exploded, much of it into the room and the Calypso didn’t survive–sniff sniff. Insurance paid me full list price which surprised me, expecting stories about depreciation, etc.

You must’ve had replacement cost added to your policy, always a good idea. I’ve lost a few components over the years due to power surges, and once from theft, and have been reimbursed full list price.

Edit: I’ve been noticing lately, that even though I click on Reply under the person I’m replying to, it doesn’t indicate it on my post. Possible glitch?

Yes, you’re right. In a rare moment of common sense, I checked the replacement cost box.

And same thing on the “replies”

With replies, it’s been like that for as long as I can remember…sometimes it behaves as expected, others no.
My home contents insurance policy is new for old replacement.
My car insurance is also new for old, but up to 4 years. It then becomes market value.

I am the same for all home contents cover including the “music centre” but the policy doesn’t come cheap…!

I have a AU$10K insured limit on my CD + DVD + BR collection. The hardware is simple new for old replacement however old, up to the policy limit which is the sum of the original new price paid for everything (which has all been documented by model number and accepted by the underwriter).

Basically the same. New for old regardless of age of the products.