Magico Magic (and unrelated matters)

The biggest change in the new speakers came after 5 hours when they suddenly started to spin some magic. Since then they have continued to improve slowly, and now I don’t hear much change over time.

I’m not planning on changing my expensive pieces of wire for more expensive wire. The next step up from Crystal Cable Diamond series is Monocrystal series (at $30K+ per pair for those). That is crazy money to spend on wire, and not sensible for me.

All I need now is a new shiny disc spinner to replace my DMP (probably Grandioso P1X), and a new power re-generator to replace my P3 (probably an Accuphase PS-530). My Esoteric dealer is on alert to sell me the first P1X he can lay his hands on. My local Accuphase dealer is keen to do business and has sharpened his pencil nicely.

1 Like

Shocked and Disgusted. You’ve gone down in my estimation.

Your new Magico speakers cost 75k and you are unwilling to spend a paltry 30k on wire. Considering the total cost of your system: 30k for two pieces of wire, that’s a mere 40% the cost of “just your speakers”. And, in the great scheme - that’s an insultingly small amount of money; …small change!

On a musical level, how can you listen to your music through those ‘bargain bin’ interconnects that you are currently using.

You are just playing at being an Audiophile. You need to start doing it right and get real!! :grin::grin:

2 Likes

About 10% of my total investment is apportioned to wire, and I think that’s about right.

1 Like

True. When you break it down it’s a drop in the ocean…!

1 Like

CD playback from the server now sounds as good as DMP sounded…that tells me spinning a disc would sound even better. 2 months to go…

Grandioso P1X makes far more sense than Crystal Cable Absolute Dream speaker cable upgrade for the same investment.

Should consider putting a little money into the expanding the size of the room. Would think that would be the best investment at this point and would offer more sonic benefits then another new cable or even the new 100k+ speakers that were just added. I’m sure it sounds great but there’s no way you’re hearing what that system is capable of in that room.

1 Like

@cudfoo - I know you well and you’re not a hatter, neither am I… Brodric has an amazing system that one day I hope to have. I have to agree with you on the room. My next big move down the road is to build another home and specify the music room. Yeah - talking the wife into building another home is 10X harder than adding another step up in cables or speakers. I really love my house where I am and building another home is a lot of drama. So, I might just keep adding gear every year because I am an audiophile gear whore… It’s just that simple… My wife was just at the RR dealer and was contemplating getting me a Hurocan and it would not fit in the garage with my Vette, Deuce, and 56 Tbird, RR Evoque in driveway… not American… at some point I have to admit there is not enough cars, audio equipment, and cycles to fill my needs… So, I AM JUST AN EQ WHORE… no matter what I endeavor into… so, a room is a stretch; however, eq might work… :slight_smile:

No hater here and I was commenting on Brodric’s room size - haven’t seen a pic of yours and not suggesting anyone buy a new home. If you have the limitless funds to spend on Audio\Video would just stand to reason that instead of another 30k on cable or another isolation tweak - that money could be better spent on what would actually make a significant difference which is the room. Cost to modify an existing room or create another room somewhere in the existing space would be insignificant compared to the cost of the system itself. If the point of this hobby is trying to great better sound (not just buying expensive toys) you’re leaving a lot on the table in that room. No insults intended the whole situation is just odd. Maybe I’m a little jealous - I wish had some f u money to irrationally throw around like that. I do acknowledge it’s fun buying new toys…

1 Like

@cudfoo - At this point in the evolution of my system, the room has not become the limiter. I agree, modifying a room may be the way to go. Broderic seems pretty smart… assume he does not have the real estate or movement to a better room other than the one he is in… or, build another home. In a few years mine will be the room and by then I will have to curb my appetites. I have the f u money, just have too many hobbies and audio is the cheapest… :wink:

A vaguely recall Brodric indicating there is insufficient physical real estate to change the room itself.

1 Like

@elk - Yeah, thought so, just having fun with the thread… It’s nice to know someone who bought a $100K+ set of speakers… I walk around with cut-off Tshirts and flip flops… just out of my wheelhouse… :slight_smile:

I could put a 2nd floor on, easy. But I’m the type of guy who spends months painting his roof one tile at a time with a 3 inch paint brush and I can’t bring myself to chuck all that work in the rubbish skip just to build another HT room when the only person that needs to fit in the room is me.

2 Likes

I more than understand.

@brodric - My wife is contemplating buying a condo on golf course because it would have a 2 car garage for the other (2) cars she wants to buy… would use it in the summer, AZ is 120F and use the main house in the winter. The down side is condos have small rooms and too open a plan for the 2nd two channel. SUX, too many choices… :slight_smile:

I don’t want to build another home. I have designed, architected, and built too many over the years and it is massive drama. We love our home…

I will never build my own home. I find the decisions overwhelming.

1 Like

@elk - yeah, I love designing things; just got another patent in July. I guess I just like to think a lot. I wish I had talent in music though. That is something I wish I was good at…

Excellent!

I am doing a major remodel of a bathroom. It is large, and has a 22 foot ceiling. I cannot even decide on a floor plan.

I have no talent when it comes to visual arts. The spatial relationships are easy, it is figuring out what I like and why which is near impossible.

And then there are materials and colors. Argh!

1 Like

In order to display what it’s capable of your awesome audio\video system needs the room whether you’re in it or not. Your projector is also begging for (at least) a 120" screen. I don’t get your logic - when you spent the multi 100k on your equipment wasn’t it just for you?

@Elk - Ok, here is my only bathroom story. We were vacationing in Australia for 6 weeks and staying at Lilianfels Resort outside of Sydney, near the (3) Sisters… We had the executive suite and the bathroom was huge w/ Carrera marble walls and Emperor green marble. Long story short, 6 months later I designed and built our master bath and we got the idea from our stay. So I created this wonderful bathroom for my sweetie. Dual Schonbek chandeliers, skylight, glass etched entry door. Full shower with emperor green floor and ceiling and walls in white Carrera marble. The bath had really nice all weather speakers, a flat screen at the head of the tub, cherry amour holding the components. The skylight was over the Jacuzzi tub and the window overlooked a beautiful valley in CT.

https://www.lilianfels.com.au/

Master Bath

Looking at the house from the rear. 2 car garage attached upper and 2 car garage under our conservatory. I designed an built the walls myself. Behind the 75lb blocks are 25 one ton blocks to hold the hill. The blocks sit on a foundation with full irrigation. The picture you see is 15 years old. The wall was engineered right…

The view from Conservatory

2 Likes

@elk - The point of the story. I have great spacial perception, can design and build anything… I had to go around the globe for inspiration and color pallet…

1 Like