Magnepan 3.7i vs 20.7

Hey I can’t seem to figure out how to message you privately! I created an account just to do so haha.

I live in Minnesota as well! Have owned the 1.7 and 3.7, and currently run a pair of Wilson Alexx clones that I built using Satori drivers!

I have been literally DYING to hear the 20.7’s for what feels like years!

Could I possibly come hear them this weekend and have a listening session?

I just got back from 3 full days at RMAF too, and listened to every single speaker haha!

Anyways my name is Cory, and my number is _______! Thanks either way bud!

@Elk

#101 above.

I’m sorry.; you have lost me.

Looked like an attempt at a PM with personal information involved. Thought you might want to screen it. If not, no worries.

@Robh. I appreciate the concern. Maggie 20.7’s are very rarely showed at dealers and I am fortunate to have a set. I am happy to have anybody that has in interest in Maggies to come and listen to them if the timing works. It is kind of an open invite. I like sharing the Maggie experience and I find I can also learn from other passionate audiophiles. Have a great day.

4 Likes

My room is 22’ wide X 23’.3" long. I placed my Magenpan 3.7i at 5’ from rear wall ( front wall when sitting ) and 6’ apart. I sit 1/3 from wall behind my couch. About 9.5’ from the speakers is my listening position. I listened the several tracks last night. I was blown away by the center image, crazy wide soundstage. As an example, the Roger Waters song " It’s a Miracle " I heard sounds all around me, sides, front, center, and rear and side walls. I was BLOWN away. For anyone to hear these speakers properly set up, they are AMAZING! period! So much so, I am ordering the 20.7 soon. My 3.7i hopefully sell as well soon.

1 Like

Darren…the Q sound recording definitely helps too…:sunglasses:

Yes it does. But with the other speakers I have owned, not one gave me that intended image to that level. Not even close. The 3.7i is a great speaker for the money.

Sold my 3.7i’s last night. Sadly I will not be staying with Magnepan.

Where you going?

Hmmm…

1 Like

Well maybe not afterall. I have a lead on a local pair of 20.7’s? Fingers crossed!

3 Likes

I think you know I have 20.7s. I love them and people love coming over and listening to them. Good luck trying to secure a deal on them. You will not regret the decision.

2 Likes

So I’ve been scratching my head for awhile on what an amp like the bhk monos would do for the 20.7. I currently run a sunfire signature which is 425 watts at 8 and 850 at 4 ohm. However I did get it around y2k. Things sound great - no sub running - but I always wonder…:slight_smile:

1 Like

A good ponder. I have the BHK monos on Maggie’s. Prior to that it was
the BHK 250 and before that was Benchmark monos. The biggest improvement
was the step up to PSA. With some used 300’s going for half retail, you couldn’t
go wrong. Besides better detail, it makes planars go deeper. Might not need subs
with 20.7’s.

1 Like

I can tell you from personal experience BHKs and Magneplanars are nothing short of magical.,

2 Likes

I have the 3.7i and REL S/3 with a full stack of PS Audio: BHK 250, BHK Pre, DirectStream. WOW!!!

Timm. I would echo Paul’s comments. I have the 20.7’s with the BHK 300’s and I am very happy. I have had a couple of audiofools like myself come over and have made comments similar to Pauls. I am based in Minneapolis so if you are ever near happy to let you take a listen. Good luck on your amp journey.

Are you running single ended or balanced? I have a nice tube pre And I have wondered if anyone can give me a feel on the bhk mono single ended performance.

Not sure if this helps. I have a BHK Preamp feeding the BHK 300 Monos via a balanced interconnect. Prior to the BHK Preamp I used a Mytek Dac+ to drive the BHK Monos as well as a PS DS JR Dac.

1 Like