Miles Davis Kind of Blue best sounding !?

No argument from me. With time my interest in The Beatles overall has dwindled considerably. I have purchased the The Beatles Mono LP set and have yet to uncrate it. I have come to the decision that it won’t be me cracking the seal. The Pop sound just isn’t my thing.

This one?

1 Like

I have it as well and also recommend the mono version. I have set up an experiment with Miles Davis Kind of Blue working with a local retailer. It involves two copies of the Mobile Fidelity UHQR OneStep LP. One an early release, circa #3400, and the second a later release, circa 20,000. Each has been ultrasonically cleaned by me an equivalent number of times, and listened to on my system. One copy has been submitted for the Perfect Vinyl Forever Archival cleaning process, the second copy awaits comparison to the first. The PVF cleaning should be complete in a week and then a comparison will take place. My intent is to create a new thread detailing the results of the comparison. Obviously I have too much free time, but this should be fun. :smile:

Kind of Blue Comparison before and after PVF process

There were two tape machines and the mono was the correct speed.

1 Like

You were the last I had expected this kind of comparison from :wink:

Me too, More to follow. Now back to some music.

1 Like

And I happily play my trouble free stereo DSD rip of “Kind of Blue” from the SACD using a mastering from the 3 channel source tapes…

I can’t stand mono…whether it be The Beatles, Bob Dylan, or Miles Davis.

Glad to learn you are happy with it. I try different things, and try to focus on my likes and share those. Life’s too short for…

1 Like

And wasn’t that mono tape recorder intended to be more of a backup to the three channel recorder? I’m really not the KOB historian, but I just seem to recall reading the three channel recorder intending to be the primary SOTA recording mechanism, and the mono recorder as the backup, but I could easily be mistaken.

I don’t believe it was meant as a backup–in 1959 stereo was new and there would always be a mono release, still some releases were mono only. This was meant to be a dedicated master.

1 Like

Reading the links in post #19 of this thread, it seems all the mono reissues were made from the three track recorders, mixed down from three tracks to mono. The stereo reissues are mixed down from three tracks to stereo. The original mono tapes have been missing/destroyed for decades. I suppose if one has a good copy of the 60+ year old mono LPs, then you’ve got the original mono tape recorder recording (I’m guessing). Other than that, it seems to be mixed down mono.

That’s correct that the current mono lp and cd are a mix down from the three track tape. I’m not sure at what point the tape went AWOL, there certainly was a dedicated mono tape for the mono releases and more than one pressing of the mono LP before they were not repressed or reissued at all, and then I believe this century was the first “fold down” releases.

This may be of interest in this discussion - Acoustic Sounds making new versions of some RCA Living Stereo tapes. Three-track originals (likely Decca tree mic array) and stereo mixdowns. The same sort of stuff would apply to mono mixdowns/masters recorded in the same way. So the SACD of KoB with the three tracks on the LCR surround channels allows one to do the exercise shown here - adding in the center channel to taste in the L/R mics’ program.

Why relatively smart people still think the audio from a phone video will allow you to hear what’s what in this sort of demo, I simply can’t imagine.

3 Likes

The RCA info is really interesting, especially as AP is currently already rereleasing former Classic Records RCA titles now mastered by R Smith or others instead of Grundman.

Do you know this company?:

https://www.highdeftapetransfers.ca/

1 Like

Nope. You?

Yes! I have a few recordings from them. I just recently purchased Somethin’ Else - Cannonball Adderley. I purchased DSD 256 and with it got 192/24, 96/24, DSD 128, and DSD 64. I’ve been listening to the DSD’s and they sound great. I am going to find some time in the next few weeks to sit and listen to one song (tbd) through each of the sample rates.

1 Like

wow i didnt knew they have a dsd 256 of Somethin else;

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/somethin-else/27361

ps. for convenience i made a thread of somethin else so we can talk here about kind of blue and there about somethin else :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

My replacement Kind of Blue is on its. The KOB was the UHQR from analogue productions and it was bad. Groove noise galore :cry:

I’m hoping for a much better pressing this time!

2 Likes

Better copy received! I was able to listen to it on a Techdas Air Force at Kyomi Audio! To say it was superb would be an under statement!

7 Likes