Miles Davis Kind of Blue best sounding !?

Glad you got a good one!

Forgive me if Iā€™ve missed something, but have we determined whether or not it is that the ā€œbad onesā€ just need a ā€œgoodā€ cleaning? Removal of mold schmutz, etc.?

Glad to hear you received a better copy and a spin on a TechDas no less. To fully enjoy it you may wish to give it a Perfect Vinyl Forever Archival treatment. The difference was welcome and not subtle. The recording deserves it.

1 Like

You raise a good point, my two copies after an ultrasonic cleaning sounded pretty good. No obvious problems to speak of. That said, trying the Perfect Vinyl Forever Archival cleaning process brought the playback to an entirely higher level, akin to a phono-preamp/MC upgrade. Iā€™d never have believed it if I had not heard it myself.

So to your question, are there various levels of schmooz in the pressings impacting playback to the degree a replacement is necessary, I have no idea. My guess is the pressing plant was pushing the stamper beyond its useful life. It also says a lot about the Clarity formulation performance to standard carbon black vinyl. My opinion is it is a bunch of hype. Of course my bias is a preference for carbon black vinyl, not designer colors, etc.

It is great that MoFi/Acoustic Sounds was willing to provide a replacement copy.

I just listened to this record for the first time. I understand now. I sat and couldnā€™t move. Normally the ADD would dictate otherwise, but somehow I was rendered motionless. A true masterpiece.

1 Like

I am now realizing, that even though the cd version of KOB I have is the ā€œcorrected speedā€ version and from a tube 3-track machine, that it isnā€™t SACD.

1 Like

it was so for me too, but not any longer i prefer other albums by Miles

some how the early japanese cd sound analogue too!

I just purchased the MoFi SACD. I wanted to find out if that feedback and distortion (primarily on the right channel) is normal. I listened to it on my system last night and again today on headphones. It was still there. I figured due to the age of the material it may have been likely to contain artifacts.

What means ā€œanalog soundā€ for you?

Which additional titles of his do you prefer?

My understanding is that the recording was too hot during a few passages, esp, with the first track.

Itā€™s a shame, b/c ā€œSo Whatā€ is probably my favorite track on KOB.

That was my guess, or something like it.This is my first foray into recordings from that generation. Iā€™m just picking it up as I go. Thanks

1 Like

I make latter a thread of My top 10 Miles albums(im not Home now) My most favoritte albums are some ones before kind of blue, i myselft dont like Coltrane constribution with Miles, i in fact dont think i have any Coltrane album, never like his stylešŸ˜

2 Likes

I Read somewere this album was not so well recorded, i Guess it was recorded fast and THE stereo technique was not well developed yet

1 Like

A not so much digital ā€œHarsh or Coldā€ sound

I donā€™t hear this distortion you speak of on the MoFi SACD of KOB. Iā€™m tagging @lonson to see if he hears it on his copy. The Wilder remix, used here, sounds amazing and as good as any recording being done right now. In addition to the Wilder remix used for the MoFi SACD, I also have the same on redbook and UHQCD, both with zero distortion.

1 Like

I think I know of what you speak, but it could be superior reproduction of the spit going on.
Wind instruments, whilst a wonderful branch on the family tree of instruments, can be pretty gross too :slight_smile:

Ps I now want to see an actual graphic of the musical instrument family tree!
Off to googleā€¦

Iā€™m listening right now and LOUD since wife is out. The distortion sound is just Milesā€™ technique on the trumpet probably in tandem with being too close to a mic. Iā€™ve heard it some on his other recordings too so never thought too much about itā€¦ itā€™s just Miles being Miles. Coltrane is clear as a bell. He knew when to step back from the mic, even though, as Miles suggested, he didnā€™t always know when to stop playing hahahaha.

4 Likes

I understand it is on the ā€œmaster tapesā€ and, hence every KOB variant - unfortunately.

1 Like