New AQ Mythical Creature Interconnect Cables

Thank you dchang05 yes same components… as for analog rig I would like to try them also from Stellar Phono to BHK Preamp (I’m a vinyl guy, almost at the moment). What XLRs did you use before?

FWIW, spent the afternoon at 3mA listening to the MBL Extremes MkII cabled with top of the line Nordost speaker cable and the owner mentioned next month the entire store will be re-cabled with the new top of the line AQ cables.

2 Likes

That is what we are different in the system as I am all digital now; the new Euphony Summus 2 Server plus the PST are my main sources of enjoyment.

For a long time, I have had Transparent and Purist Audio IC in my system until 7 to 8 years ago. A friend gave me two pairs of OFE silver IC that sounded better than the ones I had. So, I switched to his DIY cables. I do not think I have helped you much here in making final decision :disappointed:

2 Likes

I agree with the first sentence but take exception to the second in that one has no idea what “percentage” of theoretical “100% performance” one is getting out of a given cable in a particular system.

Unless you define it by the theoretical “straight wire with gain” concept. Which I don’t think really applies these days. I look on some of these wires as components, elements of a synergistic system - much as one might view a preamp. Some feel one is not necessary, that “less must, by definition, be more” while others like what they add to the sound.

I don’t have a dog in this fight, and won’t be affording these cables, so feel free to take with .075g of organic sea salt.

4 Likes

What you just said, Beef.

Pour moi, these are “Mythical Budget” wires.

Al may disagree, of course, and he can inform the rest of us once the new MBL’s arrive. :grin:

2 Likes

I’ve long argued that you have to keep cables in perspective from a system budget POV. Doesn’t make sense to use them on a desktop system at work where there’s a bunch of ambient noise and a less than ideal room. Or more generally, where they are a disproportionate portion of the total system cost.

I think it is true that the more “resolving” the system, the more likely it is that these sorts of wires will be beneficial. However, an “Al System” is in no way a guarantee that a particular wire will be magical.

4 Likes

For sure, but barring the mythical Powerball ticket, I’ll never be in a position to find out.

Probably a good thing, as too much time and energy would be wasted in the process, with concurrent reduction in time spent simply listening.

1 Like

Luca, I tried without success to message you. Email has been sent. Thank you.

Pink organic sea salt. :wink:

1 Like

Celtic sea salts with the monoatomic gold included.
(Look up “ormus” if you’re interested in one of the craziest examples of snake oil ever conceived)

I’ll just write it out shortly:
People are drinking baking soda and sea salts mixed and preserved in water, thinking they’re extracting “mono-atomic” gold particles from the sea salts, for their health and spirituality! Haven’t seen any mono-atomic gold interconnects yet, though…

I own a pair of AQ Thunderbird speaker cables and I have a pair of Gen 1 Iconoclast SPTPC cables on loan from a friend and I prefer the Thunderbird over the Iconoclast. The Iconoclast is good but the Thunderbird has a more dynamic sound in my system. I wonder if it’s the copper vs the silver? I have read others say they prefer the copper iconoclast over the SPTPC.

1 Like

It’s the everything that differs, I think.

1 Like

I tried all of them and for me the silver wasn’t listenable for very long. TPC as the best for these old ears in my room in my system.

2 Likes

I am thinking I need to get my gear out from between my speakers and off to the side. This will require 4m cables minimum. In the Stealth world this means two pair of cables at $100k each when the Extremes arrive. I cant go there, I just can’t. But two pair of Dragons would be less than one quarter that price. So for me the Dragons appear to be a bargain. That is just absurd. But it is a reality I face. Stealth offers less expensive cables I could consider but I look forward to a chance to try a pair of Dragons. I have a lot of time to come to my senses on the Extreme purchase.

4 Likes

They had Odin’s on the MBL Extremes and sub towers, switching all out to new AQ next month.
Four huge MBL amps driving with each amp requires 2 power cables. I didn’t realize the MkII Sub Tower was on, they disappear. amazing…

2 Likes

Making 12 12 inch woofers blend in so as to dissappear is quite a trick. But they do just that. I fear my wife might disagree. New wives are very expensive.

7 Likes

The Estelons were crazy good too, extreme bass extension, but just so pure and clean at ref volume. totally different as you know… :wink:

1 Like

You might find that getting the gear out from between the speakers makes for better imaging. It did for me.
You might want to also add some diffusers in the gap for further improvement. The tough part is getting all the cable lengths to cooperate and not break the bank, which you know already. I settled on keeping the amps close to the speaker, bi-wired, and the only long run (12 ft) is the preamp to the furthest amp. The power cables are all 2 meter with the P20 centered between the gear and remote amp. This all was facilitated by moving the main ac receptacle. Only a sole amp remains between the speakers and most of my sanity still intact.

1 Like

I don’t recall how your gear sits in relation to the height of your speaker drivers in your current setup.

I dare say (if relevant) you will achieve most, if not all, of the benefit if you were to simply go with a low-to-the-floor layout and arrangement of your components between the speakers.

If the kit does not have a chance interact with the initial wave launch from the drivers (especially the mid and upper frequencies), I just don’t think there is likely to be a material impact with such a set up.

FWIW.

3 Likes

+2. Unless your equipment is way back behind the speakers, getting them out from back there (IME) greatly improves imaging and spatial precision. Even more so likely needed for an omni like the MBLs.

I’ve experimented a bit over the years, and an uncluttered background always wins. Unfortunately with my new room it means 18’ XLR ICs for me. :roll_eyes: :expressionless: I’ve tried the BAVs but they’re not quite right. I’m not in @aangen territory, so even the Dragons are out of my league at that kind of length.

3 Likes