New DirectStream P12

The prospect of Stellar PP 300 dampened my enthusiasm for P12/15/20. Yes, hopefully non-regenerated + regenerated outputs, same as P3. Make it quiet, unlike that freight train of a P3. And of course, make it reliable. Build a PP 600 version just for those who like their overkill and I’ll buy it.

I don’t understand what you’re writing here. The new Stellar 300 watt Power Plant will be identical in architecture and circuitry to a P12, just with far less power and a filtered output. How was the P3 noisy?

I suppose it’s possible but probably not something we’re going to do. Too many models and then you don’t get easy access.

Oh, I didn’t know that. Only 300 watt. I thought it might be able to carry the same load as a P3, which is all I need. Assuming which is why I said it dampened my enthusiasm for P12/15/20. So, given it can’t carry the same load as P3 has dried the previously mentioned dampening.

I’m told my P3 is normal fan noise. I just don’t believe that explanation. Not for a second.

Hi -

I am currently considering a few products for power conditioning or regeneration. I have a few questions on the new P12. I would connect eight pieces to the P12. 150W power amp, pre-amp, SACD transport, NOS R2R DAC, 4k Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, LG OLED and cable box.

I am considering the P12 due to space constraints and to some degree price:

1. Does the P12 generate excessive heat? For example more than a tube amp running KT88’s

2. Is the fan in the P12 audible?

3. Can the display be turned completely off?

4. Will it effect my electric bill over a passive conditioner?

5. Dos it make any buzzing noises? I read a note on another product that indicated their’s did and it was normal.

6. Should it be on a rack by itself?

7. Which power cords would you use from P12 to mains and P12 to components. Need to keep it reasonable or could by 1 or 2 at a time.

8. Would you connect the power amp and the preamp to zone 4? Another vendor advised me to do so with their offering.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

After owing the P12 for the past couple of weeks let me answer what I can

• Does the P12 generate excessive heat? For example more than a tube amp running KT88’s
    It barely gets warm

• Is the fan in the P12 audible?
    Sometimes, depends on the fan speed but only if you are less than 1 feet from it. It never disturbed me while listening or otherwise

• Can the display be turned completely off?
    Yes from the remote

• Will it effect my electric bill over a passive conditioner?
    It adds maybe 20-30W extra so nothing at all really

• Dos it make any buzzing noises? I read a note on another product that indicated their’s did and it was normal.
    Nothing, dead quiet.

• Should it be on a rack by itself?
    That’s how I keep it

• Which power cords would you use from P12 to mains and P12 to components. Need to keep it reasonable or could by 1 or 2 at a time.
    I’m using wywires silver

Thanks. Now the wait for the Black P15 to ship by mid June.

Is the Stellar PP 300 near release? And is there an estimated price? Something I could certainly use for everything sans my amp & AVR. I’ll keep the multi channel amp, AVR, and sub on the P5.

We’re hoping to keep it under $2,195 or right at that price if we can. Darren’t been testing the regenerator pretty thoroughly and it looks like a little brute. The first tests I saw show the regenerator capable of 300 watts all day long and handling short musical peaks up to 900 watts. Pretty impressive. Maybe August or September for release.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul…

Is the Stellar PP300 going to be network enabled with power play data?

I can see benefit in operating multiple Stellar PP300 in my installation instead of single P12.

No. We couldn’t afford to at this price point.

On paper the P12 fits price and size but would like to be sure of not under purchasing.

When I add up the power consumption in watts of all gear including power amp I am around 250W totals, This would include a 150W amp and remaining equipment like preamp, DAC, SACD transport and OLED display.

It would appear I would only use about 25% of the power generation ability of the P12 max continuous load and about 21% of the P15s continuous load. My amp is never running hard and is never will need to put out all 150W - even for momentary peaks.

So I am leaning to a P12 but also a bit concerned about fan noise. When do these spin up and become audible? I do not have the space for the P15, Would have to come up with a new plan although I could work something out.

Thanks -

Most people, including myself, never hear the fan they are so quiet. Plus, in well over half the use cases the fans never come on at all and in the next step up only the lowest speeds are used to spin them. I rarely hear any complaints sir even comments on fan noise if everything’s working properly.

1 Like

I was in the same boat. However, I’m very sensitive to fan noise and figured with the alleged added performance of the P15 I’d just go that route. I’m waiting for delivery.

Thanks Paul and jtwrace for the feedback.

1 Like

Hi Paul, in looking at the prototype PP300 in the Apoxna 2018 thread, I was curious if the PP 300 will have updateable firmware either via the network or USB? Thank you.

No, unfortunately not. There’s no user interface and everything’s basically hard coded.

Thanks Paul, so architecture will be like the P12, but no firmware updates.

Or online control and reporting. Yes, that is correct. We are powering the sales audio system with the prototype now and it sounds great!

2 Likes