New DirectStream P12

I am the proud owner of a P12. Before I received it, I was initially concerned when I found out that it would have a fan. After I got it, I have not had an issue with fan noise. I never hear it running.

1 Like

Great…I’d love to see a photo of your installation.

Hi - can you speak to how you were set up before and how the p12 has impacted your system?

Thanks for that. Though the P12 has a fan, as you note, in 90% of the use cases it rarely if ever runs and even when it does it goes so slowly you never hear it.

Here’s a photo that shows my P12 in my home theater.

The following is probably for a different thread, but the photo mainly highlights my D’Appolito speaker experiment that I setup the night before I received my P12. The bottom speaker was originally bi-amped, but I decided to try a speaker on each channel. I was lucky that I had 5 matching custom-made speakers (only the front L and R were built for bi-amp). I will keep this arrangement and build proper speaker stands, until I can replace them with new PS Audio speakers. In the background is my “line-array” IB sub (circa 2006).

I didn’t own any high-end audio equipment before buying the P12. My home theater system consists of consumer electronics and custom-made speakers. I started my high-end audio equipment journey with the P12. My reasoning for this is that this one piece would improve everything else in my system to some degree or another.

My senior EE lab project dealt with analyzing AC from the wall, so I’ve known all these years how dirty the signal can be and how the frequency drifts. I absolutely LOVE the front panel of the P12. It shows the sine wave, before and after, and the difference between the two signals, which is what my lab project focused on.

I had no power conditioning or re-generator in my system before the P12. I always noticed how much sweeter my system sounded late at night than during the day. Now, with the P12, it sounds even sweeter all the time.

Here’s one example of the difference I hear with the P12. I am a big DSD256 fan and purchased the DSD256 version of “Jazz at the Pawnshop”. I love the sound of the vibes which were beautiful before I got the P12. With the P12, I now can hear the sound of the mallots striking the bars. I can now hear a kind of initial “snap” in the drums. With the acoustic bass, I notice more of the plucking of the strings. Its hard to put into words for me. It’s more of a general “something sounds different”, like I’m hearing new sounds in totally familiar music.

Even my brother, who only listens to Spotify on his iPhone, could hear the difference in the vibes from the night before when we listened to “Jazz at the Pawnshop” after setting up my D’Appolito speaker experiment, and the following day with the P12 installed.

Sorry, long reply for a simple answer “it sounds better”.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. The longer the reply the better…

Hi Paul, any updates on the Stellar Power Plant 300?

Me too Brett! It does a great job and I do not stress its capabilities at all with my whole system.

@jtwrace

I happened upon this old thread and am wondering how you got on with the P15? I watched your latest video with ZeroSurge owner and it sounds like you’ve stuck with them and added more.

We don’t have the extreme power conditions that Florida experiences but it makes me wonder how the ZeroSurge or others of similar design would pair with (on supply side) a power plant.

1 Like

I have only been using the Zero Surge units.

You received a P15 though for 30 days, right?

I didn’t buy it direct from PSA. I purchased new from a PSA dealer at the time.

LOL The same for me with my LG CX 77"
I get “hidden” menus on my TV when I use my P15 remote that I never see otherwise when I use the LG remote to my TV.