New DS Jr. questions: non-working Bridge, dropouts, etc

Brodric and I have also exchanged PMs.

Statistics are weird. Even when the chances of something bad happening are one in a million, if you are that one you are experiencing the problem 100%. And if you have one problem, you are no less or more likely to have another.

Electrical components are strange beasts. I bought a custom desktop a short while ago with superb components. It was carefully assembled and burned in before being shipped to me. The shipping box was perfect. Yet it never turned on when I received it, the motherboard failed between being shut down at the factory and arriving at my house. Bizarre stuff.

If I might correct the record on that aspect (yes, Paul knows how to reach out to me privately, and he has done so a few times in the past).

The only deliveries that have come to me by the Australian distributor are for faulty items that I received directly from the factory, or failed whilst in service, that I then sent to the distributor for repair. Thence in turn they return to me as repaired items. I have been paying the distributor their hourly labor charges for in-warranty repair, and PS Audio have been supplying the spare parts free of charge. This is more economic for me as the labor charges are less than what the shipping charges would have been for me to return the products to the point of origin in the US for repair.

That’s the risk I took and accepted knowing full well that buying directly from PS Audio would require returning faulty items to them should there be any in-service issues. I am appreciative of this arrangement and do understand that it would have been entirely within the distributors prerogative to refuse to deal with any of my faulty PS Audio gear because none of it was purchased directly from the them.

The overwhelming majority of my PS Audio purchases were new items shipped directly from PS Audio to me in Australia, plus a few minor purchases of cables and other things from Audio Advisor. I also purchased a Power Plant Premier from the Hong Kong distributor when I was working in Hong Kong, and ultimately when I returned to Australia, after the PPP had broken down a third time, it was replaced with a P5 which was facilitated by PS Audio with the Australian distributor. Which again was very generous of the Australian distributor being willing to assist when they hadn’t sold me the faulty PPP in the first place.

And again to the credit of the Australian distributor, after that P5 had broken down three times, they replaced it with a P10 for the modest upgrade charge of AU$1,000. So the Australian PS distributor has looked after me very well considering they never sold me anything.

And just to close out on that story. The P10 didn’t last long before breaking down, and it broke down a second time after that repair. So in total I’ve owned 10 PS Audio Power Plants and they have all broken down. Now when you add to that total all the other stuff that didn’t work properly, or broke down, and we’re talking DAC’s and disc spinners and PowerPacks and Humbusters and Power Directors and Noise Harvesters etc, i.e. virtually the full range of the PS product spectrum, everything has broken down. That’s 100% failure rate from a sample of 20+ products. I finally gave up on the PS shenanigans recently when a spare part they sent me to fix a faulty power plant was found to be faulty.

PS Audio Support has been fantastic. The difficulties, as I see it, are the great product ideas that come into PS Audio minds are being let down at all stages that follow the great idea stage.

But it’s OK. I’ve solved the problem and I’m happy now.

1 Like