New Firmware released

As promised, here’s the link to download 6115, the latest firmware we’ve all been gushing about.

Instructions are included. Basically, download the ZIP file.

UNZIP the file. Copy the UNZIPPED files on to a blank SD card. Place the card upside down (gold pins facing up) into the SD card slot on the rear of DirectStream (or a PWD with a DirectStream kit installed).

Power cycle DirectStream. Turn the unit off via the rear power switch, then turn back on.

The front panel logo light should be blinking if everything is loading properly.

Remove the SD card when the unit’s fully booted up.

Changes:

• Raised the input filter's bandwidth from 40kHz to 80kHz
  • Added support for DXD 352kHz
  • Fixed a problem with long coax using S/PDIF
  • Lowered jitter
  • Fixed the balance control issue some users found
  • Improved the responsiveness of the volume control
Let us know what you think and why. Give things time to settle in once you change.

Is there a size limit on the SD like I believe the PWD had ?

Paul, is this identical to the version the beta testers got or do we need to install this one?

rogerdn, it is the same 2GB limit (unfortunately).

It is essentially the same, cleaned up and all put together. I gave the beta testers a simpler version but the same from a sonic standpoint.

I’m trying it now…

Paul McGowan said It is essentially the same, cleaned up and all put together. I gave the beta testers a simpler version but the same from a sonic standpoint.
I reckon this is the same build, or is it recompiled compared with the beta version (SAA problem)?
Paul McGowan said It is essentially the same, cleaned up and all put together. I gave the beta testers a simpler version but the same from a sonic standpoint.
This is embarrassing to admit, but I do not know how to download, unzip and then transfer a file to an sd card. Will this update be available to purchase already loaded on an sd card? Thanks.

No, it’s the same build, absolutely. The builds all sound different, as you know, so Arnie and I spent all that time culling through the builds to make sure we got the best and that it beat the older one. It is identical to the build the Beta testers heard.

worked fine… Thanks Paul… I’ll let it warm up a bit before listening.

nicknjan said

This is embarrassing to admit, but I do not know how to download, unzip and then transfer a file to an sd card. Will this update be available to purchase already loaded on an sd card? Thanks.

We can walk you through it… what kind of computer do you have?

Hi Paul

Can you please make the beta version available on the beta page with download link

Thanks

Johno

erikm said
nicknjan said

We can walk you through it… what kind of computer do you have?

Windows 8 desk top pc

I think the DS upgrade has two (potential) problems;

1. SD slot is empty at receipt of the unit (the shipment should contain a 2GB card, IMO). For kit owners this is not a problem

2. Owners need a built-in or USB SD card reader in order to install the firmware

Hi Paul

Can you please make the beta version available on the beta page with download link

Thanks

Johno

I’d prefer not to. It can be confusing to people when we have too many versions floating around and our director of engineering asked me not to. The FPGA and PIC firmware are identical copies of what the beta guys got. No difference at all. The only thing changed are the version numbers so we can keep things straight.

I’ve noted when I copied and pasted the 6 firmware files from the download (excluding the instructions sheet from the files I copied onto my SD card) that almost all of the files when I pasted them into the SD card are larger file sizes than the download shows. Is that normal?

Odd

I have two questions;

1. Is the .DS_Store file something that relates to mac only (auto-generated)? In this case I would assume it should be removed?

2. Maybe the Readme instructions also should include a sentence at the end saying (along the lines);

'Tap the DS display upper left side to access the Setup menu.

Verify that the information displayed says FPGA:0.61

Do not forget to invoke the Home button (green, lower left side) to exit the Setup menu’

Why when I extract are there two folders ?

rogerdn said Why when I extract are there two folders ?
Probably because the zip file is created on a Mac and read on a MS Windows PC.
Frode said

Do I need both ?

Yes I read on a win but will be using a mini player, Is a FAT format ok ?

rogerdn said
Frode said

Do I need both ?

Yes I read on a win but will be using a mini player, Is a FAT format ok ?

I think it may easily lead to confusion, but it won’t do any harm by leaving it there.