New Look Forum?

Thanks ELK. This is new and I’m a little lost but I’ll catch on. Good job working on improvements…

Well, with FF and highlighting, FF shows Quote, not Search and Copy. Not sure what to make of that. As for identifying post numbers, the problems I discuss below are there too.

Intuitive does really mean something, like does it make ready sense in typical thinking processes, although granted that there will be a continuum of responses. This post # matter is an example. It certainly works but makes no sense to click the chain to figure out the post number; i.e., clicking on sharing a link is not an intuitive way to find a post number - and one needs to know how to read the URL, which isn’t particularly obvious to the uninitiated. Clicking on the date doesn’t make obvious sense either. Moreover, the only date showing above what I’m looking at right now, your post 36, is Feb 18, which is the very start of the thread. Hence, again not particularly helpful. Another way to go about it is to scroll the page, which one might call semi-intuitive, a good guess. And that works if one scrolls at a moderate speed continuously, but even then it’s not certain. Compare the post numbers in the following two screenshots taken at slightly different positions in one post.

Making the post number fixed, like what was before (and still is on some forums here) is the most certain solution.

Something else that needs checking I noticed while writing this: In the upload dialogue box, it says “Choose files” and “Select images,” but as far as I can tell one has to go a file at a time right now.

You do not need to look at and decode the URL. The post number is in the upper left. See, the image below. You can see the post number is “post #42.”

The scroll method works fine as well, but you need to scroll until the post you are interested in is at the top, just below the fixed/static heading. This is completely repeatable.

Oh, but you can upload multiple images at once! Select the first image, and the ctrl-click subsequent images. They upload at once, to wit:

Pretty cool, eh?

Identifying the post number needs some rethinking. Using Ctl-Click to upload multiple files is not apparent, unless of course the box tells the user that (simple fix).

No. Do not post there even though they work. We have no way after launch to capture those. I am going to ask Kevin to close the old forum down tomorrow.

It is a standard Windows command for selecting multiple anythings.

That is a tough one. I do not know if there is any way to translate link equivalencies from the old forum to the new. I am afraid these will be lost, but I do not know for certain.

that’s fine… I’ll fix recent dead links there’ll be after you close it – it’s a bitch maintaining links on software platform changes, unless you plan for it at the start… prob just a few stragglers like me linking back in anyway

it is a thing tho… google etc, there’d be vast dead links across the web if you did not account for it

They are a great resource for others reading other forums and interested in PS Audio products or other things we have discussed. It is kind of you to go back and fix broken links.

It may be wise to wait a week or so just to make sure this forum has stabilized.

1 Like

Ted I use a MAC. I discovered that if I hold down the Command key and press the + button the text on my screen gets larger. Loved the smallish font issue for me.

iOS font…
If you click on the menu tab and scroll to the bottom of the category list there are two modes to chose from.
One is desktop and the other is for mobile. Mobile increases the font size some for iOS users. It’s not a huge improvement but it does help some.

2 Likes

Yes Ctrl+ makes ALL of the fonts and pictures bigger. What I don’t like is the text of the messages being small and everything being on the edge of too big. Things seem a little better balanced now.

1 Like

Mark-d, thanks for the tip! I had used the software before and thought there was a way to switch between desktop and mobile.

Test post

Please change my display name to busterfree, not sure where this other name came from

Done!

The nature of the appearance of these odd user names is a mystery, but they are at lease creative.

1 Like

I remember the dramas the last time the forum hosting was changed, and the time before that. This time will be no different, changes always introduce new learning curves. At least this time we have tech-savvy others to do much of the heavy lifting for the forum migration, reducing the burden on Paul to keep the good ship on an even keel.
The about-to-be deprecated forum was fine with me…I don’t like the new format.

You are welcome pmotz…

Understood and yes, change is tough. For me the unsettling nature of a new thing brings a day or two of discomfort. Not in my element, not in my zone. Like driving in a new city. It’s stressful. What I do is focus on the improvements, some of the reasons why we made the change in the first place. Take for example the slider bar to the right of the screen:

This bar was one of the reason we switched. On our older forums we could have 10, 12, even 15 pages of posts one had to wade through to find something. It was a personal nightmare. This forum software gets rid of that in a single swell foop. I just love that scroll bar.

There’s more as well, and I’ll mention them as we move forward.

But, truth is, I am struggling to gain comfort too.

Let us know what you like/do not like as we may be able to help.

A Paul notes, change is difficult and stressful. I do not feel comfortable yet with the new forum and it will take a while to get used to it. But I have found I can do everything I want and there are many improvements such as the speed, and a search function which works! (An oft demanded feature.)