New, new Torreys ready for your approval

Mine loaded in without incident and in phase. No Bridge here, but USB. I was not a Torrey beta tester so I am going directly from Yale. Sounds nice so far, but I have only been listening for a minute so too early to discern differences in SQ from Yale yet.

OK... You guys really did it this time. Torreys C is just plain C-R-A-Z-Y good!!!! I don't know what kind of alchemy Ted and co. are up to but I am gob smacked with this OS update. How you guys went from Torreys B to C with this much of an improvement is way beyond my pay grade. This is what I was hoping for from the get-go. This OS is Yale on steroids with a natural grace and finesse that audio dreams are made of. What ever secret sauce went into this update should be kept under lock and key.
Ted,Paul,Arnie and all the PS Team... a very warm thank-you for an astounding job with Torreys C. If the final release is any better than this one I may just keel over in my listening chair...77_gif
Now...Back to some MUSIC!!!

Musically there is definitely more going on with New New Torreys.

I do not hear any more of the Jekyll & Hyde character of the former versions.

However, does anybody else feel that the tempo sounds as though it has sped up, way way up?

All listening is via I2S input.

Do you mean that it sounds as if the tempo has literally sped up, or that the music is vastly more toe-tapping?

seems way punchier to me, faster, in a really good way.

Sped up, beyond toe tapping, like the platter motor is running fast.

Maybe my brain is just slow!

I think I understand: propulsive.

Mine does not seem sped up, just more PRAT.

Woot

WHAAT??? :). I will give a listen. And compare to the first Torreys which I liked best. Uhh. So far. I think?? This is fun.

I am not trying to turn this into PRAT discussion, that’s a never ending thread all in itself.

But for my listening taste, PRAT is either there or it isn’t there, you have PRAT or you do not have PRAT.

What I am hearing goes beyond what I consider a component of having PRAT.

The musical presentation is no longer intoxicating, relaxing, or seductive, it seems rushed, it actually makes me a bit anxious.

In the past I have made system adjustments that were counter productive that slowed the music down.

Perhaps I am going to have to revisit them.

Just got a half hour listening session in with Torreys C. Love it. Listened to some powerful female vocals turned up loud, and it just sounded right. Not too harsh or sibilant. Just right. Also listened to some jazz. Everything sounded great. Expansive soundstage, great details and imaging, toe-tapping PRaT, and black backgrounds between instruments. Very natural sound of voices and instruments. Plucked bass sounded perfect. I’m very happy with this version.

MrDerrick said

What I am hearing goes beyond what I consider a component of having PRAT.

The musical presentation is no longer intoxicating, relaxing, or seductive, it seems rushed, it actually makes me a bit anxious.

Do you get this sense of restlessness regardless of the type of music? It always seems rushed?

Amusingly, I am currently listening to Dowland’s Lachrimæ or seaven teares figured in seaven passionate pavans, slow sombre pieces. (A pavan is a sixteenth century slow processional dance.) They do not feel pushed. I am going to explore other style and genres with your comments in mind.

I will also inquire of Pavane, one of my cats, for her thoughts (Pavane is one of the multiple alternate spellings of the dance).

Initial impressions is good, will report back.

edit: great actually!

Haven’t done a Yale-TorreysC comparison yet, but Emil Gilels playing Beethoven sonatas with TorreysC is stunning in its clarity, body, flow and dynamics, all of which draw one into the performance. It’s like listening to a different system. Tonally, it strikes me as having the same slight tilt toward dryness that one hears while listening to a piano live and unmiked in a smaller room (that’s a compliment, I think). Which leads me to suspect that Yale will sound a little sweeter, but that’s to be seen (or heard).

This is my impression as well, improved clarity, a sense of greater dynamic range. a bit wider, and a mite drier. It is akin to moving forward a couple of rows in the concert hall.

Counter intuitively, it sounds best to me if I move a little closer to the speakers. I suspect the sound will also be improved by toeing them in slightly.

Just spent an evening with Torrey’s C via Bridge II. The remote now works again, although the progress bar during initialization remains blank.

Many have remarked about Torrey’s tighter/more controlled bass and clarity compared to Yale. I spent only one session with Torrey’s B after I realized that there would have to be another beta due to functional problems, but in that session I also heard the improved bass and clarity. Interestingly, in contrast to MrDerrick’s experience, I heard three tracks that sounded very slow; they weren’t really slower, of course, but any sense of PRAT was totally gone. (Other tracks were OK in this regard.) With Torrey’s C, everything’s back to normal with the tracks in question. Go figure.

What really struck me with Torrey’s C was the clarity, even more than with B. I heard many things previously buried in the mix; this really drew me in and helped me appreciate what the musicians were up to. This is particularly important with large-scale classical works, but was evident with other music as well. Really remarkable.

Like highstream, I noticed a bit of dryness as well. I think there is probably a tradeoff here. If you have an orchestra in which everyone is playing in his/her most soulful, soloistic manner, the ensemble will probably be mush. Torrey’s is like a conductor who gets a tight ensemble; usually a good thing and you can hear what’s going on. But sometimes we want that sweeter, more soulful sound. I’ll spend more time with Torrey’s C and then reload Yale.

Just to make it simple and short. Wow!

Thank You Ted and Paul…this version sound much more refined than TorreysB

When I tried the Torreys 1.8.7 a couple of days ago it did not work with USB straight away. Yet it was fine from the Network into Bridge 1. I took the SD card out and turned the DS back on a couple of times. USB worked I put the experience down to an aberration. Now with 1.8.8 USB does not work. I have gone through the card removal and back on a few times etc. No change. I never had an issue with USB and Yale. USB works fine from the server to another DAC.

What do I do?

John

I checked the phase position as requested and my DS booted - IN … Due to work commitments - I have only played the one CD with Torreys B. Listening to Tb. ( not the lung disease ) in one DS and Tc. in another DS - I must say I could happily live with either… One thing I have had to alter and that is the speaker positioning, due to the increased amount of energy generated through my system/room with Torreys… With my main system BHK300’s and Shahinian Diapasons the output is prodigious, and with the introduction of Torreys I now had slightly too much bottom end… I repositioned (slightly moved) the big cabinets to achieve a better balanced musical presentation… Before I moved the speakers there was the increased bass response, also mild aggression to the treble, restricted/coloured midrange and the music was now overly damped; - homogenised, hence less musically involving… Between B. & C. my preference is with C. It’s just more organic and natural… I can’t wait until tomorrow when there will be Torreys D… smiley-music005_gifclapping_gif