New P20 ..... more details please?

Welcome, Mighty Ant!

The P5 and P10 outlets can be programmed to be left on or switchable. I expect the P20 will retain this feature.

Any reason you have not upgraded to a P5 or P10 and are waiting for the P20? Just curious.

Hi,

I’ve been told that the electrostatics require individual high power sockets as do the ATM 211s, making four in total. The reason for waiting for the P20 and not upgrading to a P10 is purely financial necessity. I know, I know, I have spent loads of dosh on equipment, but the P20 having the four high power outputs will make it real sense to go down that route.

Thank you for your welcome.

Hi @mighty-ant

nice set-up btw, I also own Quad ESLs but I suggest that you switch them off between listening sessions as they weren’t designed to operate 24/7. Also running components at 230v or 240v won’t degrade their performance as components are designed to operate properly within a wide margin - if you want to be sure then I’d suggest you set all voltages to be 235v.

frank7036 said

I also own Quad ESLs but I suggest that you switch them off between listening sessions as they weren’t designed to operate 24/7.

Yup! When the panels fail (and they eventually will) and die with a sizzling blue arc and smoke, you want to be around. Turn them off when you’re not.

Maybe it’s too early in the morning and I am not yet sufficiently caffeinated, but electrostatic panels themselves draw almost no current and do not require a high power socket. The charging voltage is nothing. That written, the audio transformer for these can be a bit brutal, but that would only concern the power amplifier feeding them.

mighty ant said

Hi,

I’ve been told that the electrostatics require individual high power sockets as do the ATM 211s, making four in total. The reason for waiting for the P20 and not upgrading to a P10 is purely financial necessity. I know, I know, I have spent loads of dosh on equipment, but the P20 having the four high power outputs will make it real sense to go down that route.

Thank you for your welcome.

Thanks for ALL the replies.

Paul, best case scenario. When would you think PSA will offer the P20 for sale? I have been on the fence for a P10 is why I ask.

Looking at January 2018. Not to be a tease, but…

Left-side-angle.jpg

Are the handles removable? Is it weird that I asked that…

It’s interesting… all of the (limited amounts) of replies (here and on the main page) are asking about the handles in a way that suggests folks do NOT like the looks. It has McIntosh handles. Or at least, that is what I associate them with. I am sure some other brand has them, and may have even done them first, but I see McIntosh handles when I look at the P20. Not a bad thing, to me.

I also wonder how on earth you could lift the darn thing if it DID NOT have them LOL!

As for removing them, it would be a sweet design, for those that wanted to do so, to be able to take them off and fill in the threaded “holes” with some sort of stainless steel screw etc…

Personally, this is a utilitarian device to me. The handles make it look mean and aggressive and serious, in a way that I enjoy.

Veneet said

Are the handles removable? Is it weird that I asked that…

Nope.

A few more details:

Part Time Audiophile Blurb/PS Audio Press Release

Regards.

Elk said

What kind of filtering and what would you do with it?

[In response to my post: I’d like to see one pair of filtered, non regenerated outlets on the P5; P10 and P20.]

Sorry Elk, missed your reply.

The very same type of filtering employed in the now defunct P3; and I assume also the Dectet.

I don’t have a use for it myself [because I have enough regeneration on the P10 for my needs]. However, not everybody uses the same equipment than me [e.g. some may have full-blown valve amps, TV, projector etc], and so x1 P5; P10 or P20 may not be enough. Then some of the less critical though more power-hungry components could be moved to the un-regenerated outlets, thereby at least supplying protection everywhere.

Of course I understand it’s a compromise. However I think that it is far less likely that you’d run out of sufficient regenerated oulets for critical components (now having a pair less); that the likelyhood of running out of suffient power.

frank7036 said

Hi @mighty-ant

nice set-up btw, I also own Quad ESLs but I suggest that you switch them off between listening sessions as they weren’t designed to operate 24/7. Also running components at 230v or 240v won’t degrade their performance as components are designed to operate properly within a wide margin - if you want to be sure then I’d suggest you set all voltages to be 235v.

Paul McGowan said

Maybe it’s too early in the morning and I am not yet sufficiently caffeinated, but electrostatic panels themselves draw almost no current and do not require a high power socket. The charging voltage is nothing. That written, the audio transformer for these can be a bit brutal, but that would only concern the power amplifier feeding them.

Sorry but been in hospital. Paul is correct, had a dealer contact Quad tech support and they say exactly what Paul has said that it is down to the amp and that the 2912s, as previous models, were designed to stay on 24/7 It is voltage change that counts when on and that should be controlled by the output trannies on the amplifiers. Now why should I go for the P20, what's so different?

NICE!!!

I could see the back pannel too from the link posted above, and notice it’s rated 1500VA just like the P10.

I suppose that’s the max power it will draw from the line, as both models will max at the same current input for electric standard compliance. That way you do not need your customers to draw new high current lines just for that device.

Can you say more on the capacity difference between the P10 and P20?

How many high power sockets will the europe version have?

But . . . but. . . . It won’t fit in my rack. 20_gif The rack was chosen to fit the P10 on the second shelf from the bottom to make the power cords as short as possible to the first shelf below (BHK 250) and third through 5th shelves above (preamp, blue-ray, DS DAC). I only needed 1/2 meter power cords for the preamp and amp, so the AC10’s were fine in those applications at that length.

Sigh. No P20 for me as I’d have to replace my power cords as well. Oh well, the P10 is running fine.

Time to morph the P20 into some BHK 450 monoblocks, though . . .

laugh

–SSW

The P20 is just (massive) overkill for me, but any chance the new display on the P20 will find it’s way to the P10 (or P5)? I’m getting closer to finally getting a P10, but sure would like to know if that (or any other) update is coming for the P10.

I imagine that new GUI will find its way into the P10 and P5 at some point in an update, sure.

The P20 may be overkill - but I can give you a few stats and some more pictures to wet your dry whistles.

The P20 has the following improvements over the mighty P10:

• Three times the energy storage
  • Three times lower output impedance
  • Twice the number of output devices
  • Half the distortion
  • Nearly 40% more power
  • Clear and unquestionable improvement in sound quality
It's really a brute, no doubt, and it outperforms anything we've yet built. To put its incredible low output impedance in perspective, it is the same as connecting your home directly to the city power station through no more than 50 feet of 12 gauge wire. Consider the miles of wire and transformers the power now goes through - and imagine how pure the power might be with no sharing and a mere 50 feet away. Yum, yum.

Front.jpgLeft-side.jpgRear-20-amp.jpgRight-side.jpg

Thanks for these details Paul, do you have a rendering of the EU back plate?

I need 3 high current sockets, the P10 only has 2 in the EU configuration and I fear plugging 2 amps in one P10 and 1 in another might feel unbalanced. P20 would be perfect if it has 3 or 4 sockets in the EU config!

Other solution is 3 P5s… will see about that when we have more info on the P20!

Maybe a little soon, but how many outlets will the UK version of the P20 have?