New PS Audio speakers?

Reminds me on my subwoofer chassis :wink:

That there is Right Purdy! : )

AN2 for me for sure. As long as they are under 22K

Thanks so much for the updates, Paul!

The woofer unit looks very beefy! I might missed some of the posts earlier, so as you said, all three speakers are sharing the drivers, including the subwoofer driver?

That’s so much for sharing the progress with us, really appreciate it. It would be fantastic if you could post updates like this! :heart_eyes:

Small timer here but I’m in for $10k :grin:

Paul, what was the reason you didn’t plan the biggest ones as separate columns just like IRS or Genesis?

Some reasons pro and con come into my mind but I’m not sure what would win…

Paul - though an individual may not own an iPhone, chances are at least one person in the household has an iphone …and a willingness to lend for a brief time. I’m sure EQ’ing your speakers is a rare enough event that this wont be a problem. I think.
Dan

Not an accurate assumption.

55% U.S. smartphone subscribers use a Google Android device. In the EU, it is 65%.

No one in my extended family has an iPhone.

1 Like

Well, now I know where we stand … I would have thought we were your extended family. Sniff. :cry:

Yeah - I’ve heard Vivids sound pretty good… but the aesthetics are a non-starter.

Hi Paul and team… Merry Christmas!

First post here but have been following the development of the AN series speakers for some time and watch your daily videos almost everyday! :wink:

Now, based on one of your latest videos on speaker placement, and if we can get them close to the wall, I would like to 100% support that idea, AT LEAST for the smallest speaker AN3. BY FAR, the distance to the wall is the number one issue of placement, wife acceptance factor, and ability to have a full range speaker in condos! This is a massive issue for me living in a dense city with only apartments being an option of living… I can possibly fit a 4-5ft speaker in my living space, IF it can be placed close to the wall!!! I know it’s not ideal, it would ruin the imaging, etc… but we simply have no choice.

So, I applaud the effort to try and design a set of speakers that could be placed close to the back wall! I think that should be the primary goal of the AN3 design, and would substantially increase its appeal and potential sales! Now, I wonder what techniques, DSP, etc… could be used to make that possible?

Thanks for the great job you all are doing and Happy New Year! Can’t wait to audition these sometime soon!

Thanks. Yes, we’re certainly going to investigate the possibility because it’s one of the big sticking points in high end audio and one I’d love to be able to solve. Very few homes are able to accommodate speakers removed from the rear wall which means they
either don’t get the speakers or they don’t work to their full potential if they do. Neither is a good solution.

2 Likes

Are you considering having the firmware/software in the speakers upgradeable?

2 Likes

Awesome. What can you do to minimize the impact of rear wall then? DSP? No ports? As rigid of a enclosure?

Like what options are available to make that happen? I think Wilson latest bookshelf has taken some steps with a specific bookshelf stand to address some of these issues.

To answer that you have to think about what’s actually happening when we place a speaker close to the rear wall. Some frequencies are exaggerated relative to others. Thus, the crossover’s going to have to compensate for those changes depending on distance from
the wall. Generally speaking, the area of 500Hz up to a couple of kHz needs to be slightly depressed relative to everything else for best depth. When we move close to the wall those areas get louder thus eliminating any depth of soundstage possibilities.

I built an experimental speaker years ago (of which I patented) that was only 1 foot from the rear wall yet had more depth than any speaker system I have ever heard. It used some pretty tricky techniques to get there.

1 Like
  1. List item

I’m surprised that there isn’t more interest in speakers that have a cardioid response at bass to mid bass given that speaker/room integration is the last frontier . As far as I know Kii Three and ME Geithain are the company’s promoting it . There are more no doubt , certainly with subwoofers .
All the best for 2019
Leigh

Yes, further to this:
@Paul - some studio- (and audiophile-)oriented companies are doing some very interesting things with small speakers that use a cardioid response pattern (and lots of other DSP tricks) to have a very intelligent response to room placement.

I have some experience with the Dutch & Dutch 8c, and impressive all-in-one monitor that combines DSP (it’s a full active DSP-enabled speaker) with midwoofer venting to provide cardioid response well into the midrange. This in combination with rear-facing woofers (which are said to capitalize on the Allison effect) allow them to tailor the in-room response to the distance from the back wall (user-selected).

@Paul - But that’s them – I have a hard time believing that PS Audio is going to create an all-digital DSP speaker… it sort of obviates all the other products you sell (!). How much DSP are you willing to get into? I know you’ve said before that you only want DSP correction in the very lowest frequencies… I’ve also wondered before why PSA have opted for dipole midrange and upper drivers in a box instead of on a baffle… Could you speak to the pros and cons there?

I’m of two minds… some days (like when I’m trying to move things around and messing with cables, or when one of my BHK tubes develops a weird noise) I relish the concept of a system comprised of two speaker boxes, 10 cm from the wall, each connected to AC power, and ethernet. No cables, no tubes, no nonsense. :grinning:

I have missed it if it’s in the thread. Various finishes have been mentioned for the side panels but is there the option of switchable panels?

Yes, we will make the side panels switchable and then offer a few different finishes.

1 Like

Hi Paul, trying to decide if I will attend AXPONA this year (I have two other things happening that weekend) and my make or break is if you will be displaying/demoing the new speakers. So, any chance? If yes, which model?