New Router No Longer Sees Bridge

Hi friends. I purchased a new modem and router (it was time). The new setup plays nice with all of my computers and smart gadgets, but it doesn’t play very nice with the Bridge. JRemote can’t find the PWD as a player (zone) anymore…While the front of the PWD does say that the “network is connected” (via Ethernet), the new modem’s network map doesn’t show the PWD/Bridge as part of the network; the IP Address of the PWD/Bridge doesn’t seem to be “seen” by the new router

I have the “Fing” App which is a management tool for devices and IP addresses…And, while Fing lists the “PS Audio” IP address under the page created with my “old”/previous router, the new page created by Fing for the new router doesn’t list the PS Audio IP address (i.e.: the router and the Bridge don’t seem to see each other)…???

This is very frustrating…I’m unable to play my music files…I would sure appreciate some advice!!!

Thank you!

_Ben

Hey Ben

Long time no speak…

Try “the usual” turn everything off all the way back to the modem, reset the modem [probably a paper clip reset hole] and turn things back on in order of the stream, PWD being the last. [set the Bridge to DHCP “yes” before turning it off.]

Let me know.

is it a combined modem/router? pls list what they are and if the ip range of the router still matches the Bridge.

G

What router?? I’ve been going through router hell for the last couple of days so I may have some insight.

Thanks _G & erikm.

Just to clarify what _G said…Via the PWD UI the DHCP icon is amber and shows an IP Address of 192.168.0.7; when I select the DHCP icon it turns green and the IP Address goes away (0.00.0). So, when you say to select “yes” do you mean amber (with an IP Address), or green (with no IP Address)?

I have two devices - one modem (Motorola ARRIS “SURFboard Modem” 600 series - Model SB183, DOCSIS 3 Cable Modem, 16X down and 4x up), and a one router (Netgear AC1900 Smart WIFI Router, Model R7000, 1GHz Dual Core).

I had HUGE issues with the Netgear R7000… It would not play nice with my Sonos devices at all. It had a lot of intermittent drop out problems and caused me to waste a huge amount of time trying to trouble shoot my connection issues…

After a couple of weeks trying to figure out what was wrong with my once rock stable network I replaced it with the (at the time) new Linksys WRT1900ac…I had that one up until a few days ago when it decided it wouldn’t talk to my new Aries…

So I replaced it with the new top of the line Asus RT-AC87U hahahahah !!! what a POS! The first one died in about two hours… the Lan ports crapped out then the 2.4ghz failed! Back to Best Buy… number two worked for a few hours then 5Ghz failed… This i found out is a known firmware bug… sucks being on the bleeding edge of new tech.

So back to Best Buy 3rd time and swapped the AC87U for the older AC68U… so far of good… fingers crossed…I’m told the older AC68U is a more mature product… I hope so.

It seems that all of the newish higher end routers are problematic. Between not ready for prime time hardware and firmware, and suspect quality control… it’s really a crap shoot…

It also seems to be a common thread out there that “most” of the system will work but one or two devices will have issues… That’s what plagued me. The Linksys as an example would work on everything in my house except the Aries… the Aries would connect to the network but my iDevices would not see it… it would work wired but as soon as I tried to switch to wireless, boom…

My suggestion is if the issues continue try another router, even if it’s the same model. There is so much variation unit to unit… some are good some are just crap out of the box, no rhyme or reason…

PROBLEM SOLVED!!

Thank you _G…I really hope to drink a toast to your health in person some day! By setting the Bridge DHCP to yes as you suggested, the router found the Bridge.

I hope you are able to solve your router issues erikm.

Cheers Gentlemen…enjoy what’s left of your weekend.

_Ben

Hi erikm,

i think you have an other problem than a router problem.

i never noticed any bridge problems in my sittuation.

Since a couple weeks i use the Asus RT AC87U instead of the older DLink without any problems!

The Asus is a super router with great Wifi a very stable network.

Maybe you have a crapy switch in your network.

Hey Ben

Glad to hear that you can “hear” again.

G

adimon said Hi erikm,

i think you have an other problem than a router problem.

i never noticed any bridge problems in my sittuation.

Since a couple weeks i use the Asus RT AC87U instead of the older DLink without any problems!

The Asus is a super router with great Wifi a very stable network.

Maybe you have a crapy switch in your network.

No, the problem was with the TWO AC87U's that both failed.. The first one within 2 hours.. I've never had a router that's had it's wired Lan ports just fail.. Then the 2.4ghz band failed.. dead.. The second unit worked ok except for one known firmware bug..On some unit's when one makes changes to the 5ghz settings and then re-boots the unit, the 5ghz band just dies.. The unit then needs to have a hard reset to get the 5ghz back but again any changes in setup again cause the 5ghz band to shut down. I'm not the only one who's had this problem.. In any case so far my replacement RT-AC68U has been fine.. It's an older design and the firmware is much more mature..

I’m glad you got a good AC87… I must have just hit a bad batch… Of course this has been a bad week for electronics in my house… My top of the line 1.5 year old Samsung TV decided to just crap itself! Turn it on and poof, screen just shows weird vertical color bars! Thank goodness I bought the extended warranty (something I usually don’t do!) Seems that the panel went bad… $1300.00 for that part alone!.. I think the warranty company is just going to replace the set, since it’ll cost more to repair it than to replace. They just don’t build stuff like they used too.