NuWave Phono Converter - Display issue related to USB

Hi,

Just ran through some trouble-shooting with the gang at PS Audio regarding the display on my NPC not working other than very briefly during power-on or reset. We tried to power cycle it, tried the reset button, installed the latest (0.55) firmware but none worked.

During one power-cycle I unplugged the USB cable that connects it to my Mac, powered it on and it worked normally. The display came on for the set 10 seconds and awoke at a button press. Hopeful, I turned it off and reconnected the USB cable, powered it back on and it was back to itā€™s brief illumination and non-responsive to button presses.

So I tried a different USB cable - didnā€™t fix the issue.

We tried connecting it to a Windows based PC - this didnā€™t work issue.

But as soon as I unplug the USB cable from it and power it up it works fine.

Theyā€™re working on an RMA for me but Iā€™m curious to see if any other NPC owners have experienced this?

1 Like

After some poking around it seems other members like @cutandcover and @sixpack1 have had the same problem requiring the main board to be replaced. Since my NPC is now out of warranty (purchased Apr. ā€˜17) I was given a repair estimate of $250 plus shipping both ways.

Trying to decide whether itā€™s worth the $350 or whether I should just get into the habit of unplugging the USB to change settings. Sound-wise itā€™s fine via USB to my Mac and via Coax to my digital preamp. I just canā€™t use the display with USB connected.

Bill

2 Likes

I am experiencing the same issue. I was quoted $350 plus round trip shipping. I will consider your workaround.

1 Like

Make sure to get confirmation that they have the available parts, never a sure thing these days.

1 Like

Excellent point for sure! I am considering asking them to sell me the part outright or allowing me to return the replaced circuit card assembly from mine for a ā€œcoreā€ charge. I really donā€™t like spending well over $100 for shipping!

We likely wonā€™t be able to send any specific part. Jim, our president here is against doing this. Usually opens a can of worms where the board works just fine here, and then we the end user goes to install, something weird happens and itā€™s not working properly anymore. Also hard to do with the NPC because we donā€™t have many parts left for it.

1 Like

I understand completely. Iā€™ve got the RMA number and will be sending my beloved NPC out later this morning.

Thanks much!

My service experience with PS Audio is not going the way I had hoped. They did receive the unit but, apparently, it sat on the loading dock for four or five days before it was moved into the shop. Many emails requesting a status update have gone unanswered and the phone calls have been less than satisfactory as well. I was promised the repair would be done by yesterday but now they say they are quite backlogged and that they may have to order parts for the NPC all this after I made sure to confirm that they had the necessary parts on hand to repair it before I shipped it to them.

Although I had not expected this from PS Audio based upon the information I was given up front before I shipped my unit to them, I guess there may be things outside their control regarding parts, etc., but the lack of responsiveness to email communications should be addressed by management.

1 Like

Was expecting this sort of ā€œbait and switchā€ to be honest. They will inform you that parts are not available and they will likely offer to give you a trade in credit for the Stellar

1 Like

Radioclash, I hope you canā€™t predict the future but time will tell.

And oneā€™s option to respond, no thank-you and request a return.

Argh. I just bought another NPC to replace mine that died and was going to send in my old one for a look-see repair. Probably will do so soon. Wonā€™t, hopefully, need to be in a hurry for its return, would like to have an operating spare. I love this device!

1 Like

Apologies for the delay here. I just chatted with Larry and he said he has it on his bench now. Iā€™d expect some notes regarding the repair to show up on the support ticket later today. Sounds like it will be a quick repair so luckily no ordering of parts necessary.

PS Whiz Kid, thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. Many thanks!

Joe

I just yesterday submitted a support query about my OG NuWave Phono Converter that has essentially gone dead and hope to hear that I can get service and an RMA soon. I love this animal. I bought another one from The Music Room that is working perfectly, but I want this original one back in working order.

Hi James,

Is there any chance you can reach out to Larry and ask him what the status of my NPC is? Iā€™d appreciate that very much and thanks in advance.

Joe Keifer

Got a reply yesterday with a suggestion to try booting it up again when unplugged for a time and with no connections.

I had the unit packed in a box for several days so unpacked it and tried to power it up. Same issue. On second try it powered up for about 20 seconds and then lost life again and would not repower up.

I reported that and am waiting for further response. In the meantime the second one I bought has seasoned from disuse and my phono playback is sounding great.

I see that Larry is now wrapped up with the repair. Seems to be working perfectly now. Iā€™ll send you an email with the invoice shortly.

Thanks James. Youā€™ve restored my faith in people and I appreciate it very much!

Please send me the invoice.

Best Regards,

Joe

1 Like

Good things DO come to those who wait. My NPC is on the way back to me but, before I could leave the PS Audio website, I decided to bite the bullet and order a Stellar in black before the sale price went away. Hereā€™s to hoping that supply chain issues donā€™t impact their ability to build mine.