P10 and P5 discontinued?

While I found your earlier reply unnecessary, I think this one speaks well to normalcy of the situation in one sense and the variety of approaches that can be taken. The considerable price increases and lack of an upgrade path, which I don’t have reason to question, are not so normal and increase the anxiety, since these items don’t come cheap in their current form. I would certainly be grateful to hear an answer to the question of the current P10 vs. the new P5, if known, but PSA marches to its own beat and patience is in order.

1 Like

I tend to agree with Highstream, I too would like to know how they compare. There are two issues, however. The first is does a production (or close to production) version of the P5 (or P10) exist? The only thing I “know” at this point is Paul said the P5/P10 would be displayed at AXPONA which is eight weeks away. I don’t see it of much help to us if they are static displays, but we can hope they have them on demonstration. Doing an A/B at the show would be my desire. The other issue is even if we get some description of the sound or even get an A/B will that reflect what we hear in own system? That’s always the rub with high end equipment and (for me) the diminishing returns we get with each upgrade.

One thing I find interesting is PS Audio sold out of both the P5 and P10 well before the replacements will be introduced. That’s an excellent business decision, but not so great for us cheapskates looking for a deal!

Aren’t the regenerators built in house? If so, one can infer from the old version no longer being available and not distant projected presentation dates that they are focused on building the new versions, presumably P20’s first for early April shipping, and that there are likely prototypes for the P5 and P10 already built. If so, then they will have obviously done comparisons, although the specific one being discussed here, current P10 vs. new P5, may or may not have been among them. It would be useful information to have as current or prospective owners of the 5/10.

There’s likely going to be plenty of P10s and P5s traded in, so cheapskates should be ok. :slight_smile:

The newer models are noticeably better than the original ones. The differences are less than with the P20 - but then, the P20 is just an extraordinary notch above anything I have ever heard. That said, comparing the new P10 to the older one you hear better solidity, deeper bass, and an analog-like ease to the sound that pulls you in to the music.

This is always the tricky part. There really is no way to know unless one tries out the new unit.

Yup, I fully expected there will be lots of trade-ins. The problem is, after years of buying used off of AudioGon, I switched to PS Audio and have gotten almost all of it new. I’ve been happy with everything I purchased and felt I did well. The personal problem for me is I’m creeping up on larger and larger cash outlays and that sets off my internal alarms. This is definitely not an issue of value, PS Audio does very well in this area, it’s a psyche issue. At this point I am satisfied to wait and see the new models are like.

1 Like

Paul, The specific comparison that someone posed in this thread is not between new and old of the same model, but rather between the new P5 and the old P10.

Btw, I’m finding the new site design not at all friendly and attractivee. Apropos to this post, I couldn’t figure out how to quote your post.

If you select the text that you would like to quote, a “Quote” button will appear. Click that and a new reply will be started with the selected text setup as a blockquote. If your thought is “well, that’s not as intuitive as an ever-present quote button…” I would agree with you.

We have another topic opened for tips/feedback on the new forum located here if that is helpful.

1 Like

Oh sorry. Missed that. I have yet to make that comparison. Maybe over time.

Thanks for the feedback and I hope we can get comfortable with the new forums.

Paul

And thus it fits in perfectly with all of our posts. :yum:

Also regarding quotes and responses: there are now two reply buttons; one next to each post and one at the end of the thread.

Use the reply button next to the post to which you are responding. This tags the reply so that a reader knows to whom you are responding. If one clicks on the link with the member’s name at the upper right of such a reply post, it will take you to the original post (the post replied to). This also should cut down on the need for quotes.

The reply button at the bottom simply adds a post at the end of the thread.

I was being diplomatic.

sigh . . .

Hello there,
long time lurker, first post

I know the products aren’t officially announced yet, but it’s inevitable for me to ask the following question:
will the new P5 DSD have a fan inside like the now discontinued P5?

The fan was the reason why I didn’t bought the P5. The Accuphase PS-530 looked like a dream come true, but (there’s always a “but”)…I live in Europe, and while the american and japanese versions have 8 usable outlets, the european 230v version, apart from a +200% price increase in comparison to Japan, only has 3 usable schuko outlets (the other 3 only suitable for shaving machines) and I need 4 (urgh).
I dreamed about an improved and fanless P5 for a while…will the dream became true? :wink:

Welcome!

I don’t know the answer. I can only offer that I have never heard the fan in a PowerPlant turn on.

The Schuko outlets are indeed less than ideal.

The fan on mine comes on occasionally, but so infrequently that I struggle to recall when. I think it’s mainly been when the unit’s initially switched on, which isn’t often because mine normally runs 24/7.

First of all, thanks @Elk and @highstream for taking your time and trying to provide an answer, I appreciate that.
Unfortunately, I don’t want to discuss if the P5 fan is inaudible, loud, may be a cheerleader instead of a fan or what’s the best 2Chainz quote…I just want to know if the upcoming P5 successor will be fanless or not, nothing more, nothing less.

Welcome! Indeed, the fans will be present in the new P5 but they are pretty much invisible sounding. I have never had a complaint or even a comment on them they run so quietly you just wouldn’t know.

Thanks Paul :slight_smile: