P10 and Power Cable Recommendations?

@ALRAINBOW for in wall wiring in a home.

Pangea AC9SE is 1 gauge thicker, but 1 shield less, the rest is the same. There made at the same place, but yours is $650 more...to answer your question, about what's funny. : )

The rest is hardly "the same". Just take a look at what our cables are made from, our connectors, the way they are constructed and so on. If you wind up thinking the two cables are the same, I must have done a lousy job of telling their story.

Lots of cables are made at that same plant in China, but that doesn't mean they are the same.

And yes, ours are more expensive, but because they cost a hell of a lot more to make. :-B
1 Like

Yours - •PCOCC single crystal construction

•8 gauge power cable

•Quad shielded

•Hollow tube conductors for treble performance

•Rectangular conductors for midrange performance

•Multiple gauge conductors for bass performance

•Gold plated connectors

•Welded connector to conductor◾Designed specifically to deliver high-current power needed by audio amplifiers

Theirs- :black_medium_small_square:7-awg construction for optimized high-current power delivery

:black_medium_small_square:Seven-way multi-gauge geometry for optimized 50/60 Hz AC power

:black_medium_small_square:Combination OFC, Long-Crystal Copper, Litz, and PCOCC copper conductors

:black_medium_small_square:Counter-spiraled conductors for superior noise rejection

:black_medium_small_square:Triple-shielded for optimized high-current noise Isolation

:black_medium_small_square:24K gold-plated contacts for superior electrical contact

Difference?

Attached files

I am surprised you can’t just look at the connectors and see a difference to start with - that they have one strand of PCOCC while our entire cable is built with it - that ours has shaped conductors where their’s is a simple combination of different wire gauges. I really don’t want to get into a pissing match. You’re very happy with the Pangea’s and that’s really all that matters.

I don’t want to defend ours or put down theirs, because their cables are an extremely good value and a product I would support over having a stock power cord. I assumed at first you just wanted to understand the differences between the two, where the costs differences lie, and so on.

This feels like I am defending our pricing structure and slightly adversarial, something I certainly think is of little value to anyone reading this forum.

2 Likes

It’s worth noting that the Audio Advisor description states “PCOCC (99.99999% pure) Ohno-cast copper conductors are typically ten-times more expensive than standard copper conductors.” That alone would account for a substantial price difference.

@admin

Paul as I understand your point it objecting to defend your products I feel you should. Truth is I get told that from time to time with my companies. And nicely I explain why . It makes for understanding paying more for quality in installation and service. Your products are the same . We pay for quality ,results , warrantee and the overall knowing we have purchased a high quality product for our systems. I mention your products almost daily and some times I get abused but mostly aknowlegement of great products. I feel you should or a reproaensitive of you belong to some forums. There is too much bull in this hobby and the ones that post with pure understanding and hands on info like you can cut to the bull.

And please do not take my above post as asking me to be one hahaha I am the last person you want representing you .

Al

I personally think Paul represents the company very well in these pages, and that is part of what makes the forum special.

I was not meaning here , of course he does well on his forum. And his honesty is very refreshing as well. Hell I get annoyed as some here attack him on his own forums. But elsewhere it’s gets dicey and this is where I wish there was some representation of ps audio.

Al

Okay Al, I misunderstood that.

alrainbow said: I was not meaning here , of course he does well on his forum. And his honesty is very refreshing as well. Hell I get annoyed as some here attack him on his own forums. But elsewhere it's gets dicey and this is where I wish there was some representation of ps audio.

The "word of mouth" representation seems to work pretty well. Most who Might attack seem not to own the product or did not take the time to set it up properly.
As far as in the forum goes, we all look upon any attackers with great compassion and consider it good therapy for them.
:D

Thanks and I am always happy to answer questions about why things are the way they are. For example, I am happy to explain our cables, their construction, what makes them expensive, etc. It’s what I try and do in the actual product description pages, with (of course) some added marketing fluff to make them attractive. :slight_smile:

However, what I don’t feel comfortable doing is dissing someone else’s product. I know you all understand that and when I read back this thread, I think I was getting defensive and that’s not a good thing.

David03HD was very genuine in his praise for the Pangeas and I may have done a disservice to him and others here by even saying anything about where these cables are made and ranking them. Doesn’t serve anyone and I want to encourage people like David to post their thoughts here about other products. Helps everyone, makes for good dialog.

Sure, I do get a little defensive and I shouldn’t. So answering questions is fine, defending stuff isn’t what I want to spend my time doing. I think our products stand up for themselves.

1 Like

Hi,

A friend recently decided yo see what Pangea could do for his system. He previously used Signal Cable throughout his setup (Krell KSA 250, GRYPHON Sonata Allegro preamp, Theta Gen 5 DAC, Legacy Focus Speakers). He used the 9SE for the Krell and the rest were the latest in the 14 series for the front end. The results, with the Signal Cable he had a huge 3 dimensional soundstage, with the Pangeas, the soundstage was flat and constricted. With the Signal Cable, the music was full of color and tones, with the Pangea the music was bleached out, a distorted black and white facsimile almost the opposite of the Signal Cable. The Pangeas were well broken in having been broken in about 28 days straight before I heard his system.

Once we put the Signal Cable back, his system became the beautiful sounding system that I’ve grown to respect and love hearing.

The last thing we tried was leaving the 9SE on the Krell. It proved to be the superior cable for the amplifier easily giving the Krell a greater sense of endless power and slam. (Not that a Krell KSA 250 needs any help in this regard. It is easily the best Krell amp ever built and one of the top ten amps ever designed.)

I have no idea why the Pangea 14 series sounded so poorly on the front end coated to the Signal Cable, it had plenty of time to be broken in. I have read several posts where people have found that going all Pangea has similar results. The Pangea cables do look great as for as build quality and the plugs really have good grip on your components.

However, Frank, at Signal Cable, has done a great job designing a power cord. His recipe remains unchanged as for as I know for at least 5 or more years. It really takes a great cable, and a lot more expensive one to surpass his in all areas.

I’m using a variety of cables in my system including PS Audio, Signal, and VH Audio. I would like to try the Pangea 9SE sometime, or the PS Audio AC 10, and someday Shunyata as well.

Thanks,

Steven B-)

Steven,

Great write up. I enjoyed reading it. Of note, don’t try Shunyata cabling unless you are ready to plunk down some dough. Over the past few years, I have gone all Shunyata - PC’s, signal, speaker, and digital (XLR), and will never go back to anything else.

Having said that, one thing we all need a reminder is, to enjoy what we do have, no matter what the level their system may be relative to their “dream” system. It’s an adventure which all too often consumes us, being the neurotic types that we are (audio nuts).

@sgrowan

I still miss my KSA250 that I stupidly sold many years ago.

It was indeed a special amp.

It was also a very warm friend to cuddle with during the winter months. :x

Wow, I step away from the thread for a few days, and it practically burns down! LOL

Paul, thanks for chiming in, and thank for your honesty. You’re one of the few in the business I take at your word (sure wish I could say that about more shops). You don’t have to defend yourself, and I’m glad you don’t waste time defending your stuff on other forums as well. I’ve gotten my share of black eyes just for mentioning PS Audio over in AVS Forum (for example) where they say Paul “should be tried for fraud for the BS he spews” I believe is how they said it. I’ve been called a shill, or just flat out stupid/delusional for liking PS Audio gear. :slight_smile:

Anywho, back on topic - I really wish I could afford an AC-12. While there isn’t a huge improvement in my system, the AC-12 did provide something (that I have trouble describing) Just a slight clarity and blacker backgrounds I suppose. I’m putting my Pangea AC9SE back on my P10, and I’ve ordered the new Pangea AC14XL for my Decware amp, and AC14SE for my Oppo BDP-105. It’s clear from the design info/cutaway that the Pangea is a lesser cable, but it looks like they did their best to cut costs intelligently - and honestly it’s the best I can afford right now with trying to save for a wedding about this time next year. I have 3 Pangea cables for half(!) the cost of one AC12 2M. I think the benefit of having all these decent cables across my system outweighs putting one AC12 in my system.

In the mean time, I’m going to keep an eye on the used sections and hope for a great deal on an AC12 (that hopefully isn’t counterfeit).

Honestly, while I believe in a solid foundation (P10 with AC12), right now that money for cable would be better spent on room treatment. So P10 with AC9SE will have to do (and isn’t a slouch!)

Now to pester TedSmith as I recall he mentioned upgrading his houses grounding and wire in one of these threads, I want to see what was done as I may go ahead and do that myself.

@lonelyraven Thanks. I didn’t realize I was so reviled at the AVS forum. Makes one proud. :wink: Although I do wonder what got them so riled up …

The best thing to do is place limited funds wherever they matter most to the music.

@lonelyraven Thanks. I didn't realize I was so reviled at the AVS forum. Makes one proud. ;) Although I do wonder what got them so riled up .......

The best thing to do is place limited funds wherever they matter most to the music.

Easy, I have been called many of the same things in AVS - a heretic, burn me at the stake, some names I'd rather not be associated with, etc.

All you have to do is say the Earth is round, and, well, you get the picture.

Only Flat Earth'ers live there these days. Very sad, such closed mindedness @ AVS.

My thoughts exactly. Thanks again, Paul. I'll see you at Axpona

I’ll be in Underwood Audio’s room Friday and Saturday.