P20 cable responsiveness

Yes, I saw that. Do you have any notion as to whether an Analog in the older series is better for the regen over a Digital? Or if a Sigma Analog would still be better than a newer Alpha NR? Thanks.

This is a good discussion with Grant of Shunyata that answers the very question you have:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45921&highlight=Alpha+sigma

1 Like

Excellent. Thanks!

Thanks @Veneet. My system has no lack of full, organic tonality and powerful low end. Sounds like a Sigma HC would actually push these qualities even further - maybe not a good thing.

Yeah if you were looking for a more neutral cable that still revealed detail I think Alpha is the way to go. Also, price of HC is usually still quite a bit more used than alpha used or new depending on dealer discount.

But it seems like the Sigma NR, by comparison, does not have the same sort of ā€œfullnessā€ that has been described for the earlier HC or Analog. Maybe it would still be a better choice over the Alpha NR. :question:

@cardri, Iā€™m a little confused. In another post you listed having a whole army of NR cables, yet here youā€™ve discussed how great a job the Anaconda does on the P20. Does this mean you determined none of the NRs were a good match for the P20 in your system?

@tony22 - one Anaconda CX, one Sigma NR. Then a platoon of Alpha and Delta NR. Anaconda CX I bought used, then Sigma NR I bought new to run from Denali D2000T to my P20. I use the Anaconda CX from my wall to Denali D2000T. I run the 2nd plug of the Denali D2000T output to my EVO 3 Sirus for my (4) Sboosters. Sigma NR is the best SR cable, then Anaconda. I bought the NR cables for the CCI filtering and they work great.

Did you try the Sigma NR from the Denali to P20 - and on a different note do you find the Denali before the P20 to provide a critical improvement over running the P20 direct?

Yes, initially yes, then after a week of back and forth, the euphoria wore off. You have to really run this stuff for a while and through different moods you are inā€¦ initially there is a euphoria with any decision. I am not a group think kind of guyā€¦ if you ask 20 people about doing somethingā€¦ 10 will say you are stupid, 10 will say you are brilliant. I just think of stuff and try it out, then report my findings to the group thinkers to digest and argue. One source that I found is great for satisfying my audiophile whorism is thecableco libraryā€¦

Thanks @cardri. What did you find about the Anaconda that made it a preferred choice to the P20 over the Sigma?

@tony22 - SR Sigma NR is the best power cable I have bought, I thought I made that clear. The Anaconda CX was bought to replace my PSA AC12 to my P20 and that performance jump propelled me to try the Sigma NR.

Your best bet is to try the Sigma NR from thecableco, then buy the Anaconda CX from music Direct and keep the Anaconda if you see a significant difference against the Sigma NR. Or, return the Anaconda and buy it like I did for $1050 (used) when someone trades up to Sigma NR. Careful on thecableco library w/ Sigma NR, you will need to get the 15A to 20A converter.

I have an Alpha 20a and Sigma 20a coming to me next week for evaluation on the P20.
Using AC12 right now. I will give you all a shout after I get them settled in.

@straightwire - like Grant says, the best bet for digital component is Alpha NR, more than that is overkill and getting Anaconda or bigger conductor is a waste (8ga is plenty). Man that DSD sounds great w/ Alpha NR. I am in @RonP camp as to the affect of Sigma NR on the P20. Would be interesting, let me know. The Sigma NR was better than Anaconda CX for P20. Using Alpha for my BHK300 was plenty with no real benefit on Sigma NR. Going SR BLUE fuses for every component helped. All this stuff is just borrow a cable and try. If it sounds better, keepā€¦ if not return. This is about system synergy and the system owner dictates if it is better. You get some ideas asking others and then you just need to try it out for yourself and if there is no difference after a few weeks, get rid of itā€¦

I lost a lot of money going Iconoclast cables from Nordost. However, gained a much better sound stepping up to Iconoclast. Careful A/Bing stuffā€¦ sometimes itā€™s like WTF! It is not always about the price; more about critically listening and knowing when something sounds better. We are all searching for the best soundā€¦

Roger that. Totally with you on your cable choices and how you got there.
Last power cable go round is the P20. Grant and the guys from CC seem to
be straight shooters but I always listen to them first.

I listen to ideas, then I am the final judge and you have to be careful with salesmen, they put ideas in your headā€¦ they are pros at that, been doing it for decades with hundreds of audiophiles. I also listen for weeks to get the salesmen out of my head and test through the euphoria, initial burn in if neededā€¦ it takes a lot of effort. you have to love your system and find the search for an amazing sound is worth all the trouble. To me it is cause I have no life and love my music.

@straightwire - I went SR Anaconda when I went single 20A dedicated 10ga line and SR BLUE duplex in the music room. I was using an AC12 15A and went holy crap when I swapped the Anaconda CX (20A). I let @RonP know it was like WTF, thatā€™s drastic. My bass just got very solid, man is that cool. Not to say AC12 was crap, it is a good power cable (1.5m, 15A). I then swapped the AC12 (1m) cable on the DSD and it was like WOW! OK, gots to get me these power cables. Then I went Alpha NR on the DMP, BHKPRE, and both BHK300s. I then split the Ethernet/streamer Sboosters away from the P20 using Delta NR power cables to the EVO 3 then Alpha to SR BLUE top.

Iā€™v got a FARAD 18V/3A LPS with special 60cm DC line coming by end of JUL. Right now I have an 18V/2A Sbooster LPS connected to my N+ that canā€™t run an Ultra filter due to load restriction on that Sbooster. I will be A/Bing the two power supplies when I get the FARAD LPS.

So would the previous gen Sigma Analog be that much of a step down from the new Sigma NR, or would it be more of a synergy thing based on oneā€™s system?

I tried both the Sigma EF, which doesnā€™t have the NR and the Sigma NR going to my P20. My thinking was that the P20 input didnā€™t need the NR.
I was wrong. The NR clearly sounded different and better. I wouldnā€™t buy one without the NR.
I just ordered a Venom12NR for my DMP.

Sigh. Thanks @RonP. I spoke with Richard at Shunyata the other day and got the feeling from him that the Analog would bring quite a bit to the (in my case) P15. His comment was along the lines of (paraphrasing) if you have the Analog, going to the NR may not bring that much relative to the expense. Your experience differs.

This unpredictable synergies are part of what make this hobby so frustrating, IMO. :expressionless: