P20 ..... external earthing wire query with P20 screws

Query for someone in PS Audio to answer please?

I’ve a P10 currently and I run an ‘earth wire’ from a screw on the back of the P10 to a screw on the back of my AV Processor., (which has no earth mains connection).
In order to do this right I checked with PS audio that I could remove a screw from the back of the P10, (without anything falling off the inside), to allow me to add 2 small washers to the screw.
When the screw is attached again to the P10 the two washers allows full contact with the earth wire as it easily fits between the two washers .
This provides much better contact than trying to wrap the wire around a screw.

I’ve a P20 coming and I want to ensure I can do the same with it.
Looking at the back of the P20, the black metal panel that houses all the sockets is attached by small screws. I assume these attach the back panel to the chassis of the P20.
So it looks like I could remove one screw and attach my two washers and re-attach the screw without any issues?

With all the sockets the P20 has I may be able to run all my components from the P20 and this may prevent any ground loops and thus I may not need the above ‘tweak’.

But I would like someone from PS Audio to confirm I can remove one screw without any issues, just in case this tweak is still needed.

1 Like

If you are selling the P10 let me know. James will probably answer your question soon!

Happy listening, Paul

I’m in the UK.

I’m not sure it would be wise to use an independent “ground” wire between the chassis of some pieces of equipment and the P20 if the equipment is not designed with line/neutral/ground fault power cable. A non-polarized plug can lead to a shock hazard or even damage equipment. Just a fair warning.

Disregard. Your P10 won’t work for me. Enjoy the P20!

there is a screw on the underside of the unit towards the back (one left one right) - i am using this screw on the advice of the PS team to ground the Syn Research passive ground and i can report that is made significant improvement to my p20 / system as i believe others have found with PS gear - i was a bit reluctant at first but presently surprised

Shouldn’t be a problem.

Thanks Paul, great to hear from the man himself.
(I’ll check out the grounding suggestions above.)

Paul already beat me to it, but this should be completely fine. I don’t know a whole lot of folks that need to, but you won’t run into any trouble.

Sorry for reviving this thread.

Using a CAD Ground Control, a passive ground box able to eliminate high frequencies noise, I’d like to try and connect it to the P20.

I’d use the RJ45 port of the P20 because I have a CAD ground cable terminated RJ45, I usually use with switch or router unused ports.

Anyone can answer this question: is the RJ45 port of the P20 connected (grounded) to the chassis? I need to know it, because each GC1 must be connected to components or power distributor following a rule: separating Signal Ground from Earth Ground connection.

Each GC1 can be connected to 2 components at the same time, so if you choose a Signal Ground port for one unite, also the second unit connected to the GC1 must be a Signal Ground. Connection, too. Similarly if you connect a chassis component (Earth Ground connection) to the GC1, the other component connected to the same GC1 must have the same Earth Ground kind of connection.

Already sent an email to @Paul and @jamesh asking their help.

Since a few members here are using the CAD GC I’d appreciate getting ideas or experiences by people who eventually already tried to connect a P20. If it makes sense.

Thank you.

Paul has just answered me:

No, an RJ45 ethernet port goes through what is called a Phi which uses magnetic isolation. Better to use the chassis screw or something like that.

Thanks Paul, super responsive and so kind of you!

2 Likes

Hi,
I am very interested in your feedback because with the Whispers Elite power cables I heard the importance of evacuating interferences through the “earth”.
Very good tests and end of the weekend

1 Like

I’m trying right now connecting the GC1 to the P20 RJ45 port. No other wires connected to the same GC1. Before that, it was connected to PhoenixNET switch via RJ45.

My second GC1 is connected both to USB Statement server/streamer and ground lug Puritan PSM156.

Within tomorrow I can give you my comments.

Thank you, I await your comments with curiosity

Long story short: after 24 hours I’m pretty sure I prefer connecting the GC1 to the PhoenixNET RJ45 port rather than to the P20 RJ45 port. Both are very subtle improvements at all but the switch is almost audible.
I’m going to other routes, here the effect is insignificant.

3 Likes

With your big system you need a bigger box! Here’s another chance to try Shunyata. They make some bigger boxes. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you for the feedback. It’s a shame it doesn’t work…

1 Like

I’m interested in any other combinations you tried. I’m interested in getting a CAD Ground Control myself.

Do you have an innuos streamer? Have you connected to that (USB to the backup port)?

1 Like

Yes, see my profile to have an idea of my system.

Actually I have connected to one GC1 Statement (USB) + Puritan 156 (spade) and to the second GC1 PhoenixNET (RJ45) awaiting another wire terminated with spade to go to Puritan, too. As per Scott advice.

This is the best combination IME.

I have also a USB Control (like a pen drive) on the other USB port of the Statement, this thing works even better than the GC1.

Hope that helps.