Paul McGowan - Help with speaker cables for my Infinity speakers

Paul McGowan - Help with speaker cables for my Infinity speakers

You have occasionally offered to help tune my equipment. After a while, I’ve had difficulty solving the small problems that are always with new equipment. Brum etc. I have been incredibly pleased with my PS audio equipment.Thank you to the whole PS team for the incredible good support in providing to our customers. Also with reference where the cables can be purchased in the EU. Thank you in advance for your help.

What speaker cables do you want to propose to my Infinity RS 1b? Do you use different servo bases?

Which Hdmi cable do you want to propose between DirectStream DAC and the NuWave Phono Converter?

Which USB cable between computer and DirectStream DAC?

Which RCA cables between DirectStream DAC and BHK Signature 250 stereo power amplifier?

Which XLR cables?

I use the following PS audio equipment:
DirectStream DAC/Bridge II - BHK Signature 250 stereo power amplifier - NuWave Phono Converter - PerfectWave AC5 - PS audio Conditioners.

Without question the finest sounding XLR and speaker cables are from a local company here, MG Audio. They are nothing short of revolutionary and I cannot recommend anything higher.

Paul - Which of MG Audio’s XLR’s are you using or have you tried? The connection from my Directstream to ATC active speakers (SCM19AT) is XLR. ATC is known for their studio speakers, but they have a home line with many of the same sonic characteristics (revealing, slightly warm). It looks like the top two of the MG Audio ICs are silver, so an obvious question is how good a match that would be, especially for someone who prefers a sense of natural warmth with a solid state system. Thanks,

Go for the copper versions. Much warmer.

This may be a little controversial but instead of speading megabucks audition Crimson RM musiclink cables, you may get a surprise happy-132_gif

Paul, that is quite an endorsement… was eyeing Audioquest Castle Rock for my Vandersteens but maybe i will change my mind or at least try to audition the MG’s. Problem is I need a double run, and it starts to get pricey…

Bob, Vandersteen supplies custom AQ silver cables with his amp and model 7 speakers. So he may use AQs for voicing. Might be worth emailing them for their recommendation.

I have written to MG Audio they will obviously not sell anything as they do not respond to the inquiry. lol
I will of course study all the suggestions that come here. Thanks to the hifi people hug…

010_introducering_hi-fi_aarbogen-78-1.jpg

1 Like

Michael, give them a chance, you just asked, like 2 days ago, and most small manufacturing businesses are closed on Saturday and Sunday. It is not even 6am in the western states. At least wait until Wednesday before giving up on MG.

Bob said

Paul, that is quite an endorsement… was eyeing Audioquest Castle Rock for my Vandersteens but maybe i will change my mind or at least try to audition the MG’s. Problem is I need a double run, and it starts to get pricey…

Indeed they are hand built one at a time. They are the most extraordinary cables ever.

Michael,

work out when it is business hours in MGs town and telephone them. Then follow up with email. I find USA businesses respond better to direct communication than electronic mail. Also I’d give it a week before worrying they haven’t yet responded.

Michael - Denmark said

I have written to MG Audio they will obviously not sell anything as they do not respond to the inquiry. lol
I will of course study all the suggestions that come here. Thanks to the hifi people hug…

That is likely true. The company was owned by two local guys, Lee and Greg. Greg was the customer facing guy and he passed away. Lee, the engineer, can still build them but isn't as good at emails. We are considering buying the technology and producing them ourselves but it is extremely difficult. Our engineering department has been looking at how we might be able to do that. If we're successful they'll then be available through us. But, again, they are a nightmare to build.
Paul McGowan said

That is likely true. The company was owned by two local guys, Lee and Greg. Greg was the customer facing guy and he passed away. Lee, the engineer, can still build them but isn’t as good at emails. We are considering buying the technology and producing them ourselves but it is extremely difficult. Our engineering department has been looking at how we might be able to do that. If we’re successful they’ll then be available through us. But, again, they are a nightmare to build.

More love from Denmark Paul

I got a couple of my MG cables through TweekGeek. Mike Garner is very responsive. Having said that, I found both Greg, before he passed away, and Lee very responsive.

I have several of the Planus AG2 cables, and they are superb, though they are delicate. Paul has way better ears than I do, but I actually preferred the Belden Iconoclast in my speaker system.

Paul McGowan said

I'm curious which version(s) is in your system(s)?

I’ve now tried listened to them both on the Oppo to DS to ATC SCM19A system, and while both have a very transparent presentation, I found them very different. The AG2 is alive, bringing to mind Phil Spector’s Wall of Sound. I actually find voices warm with it, perhaps a lower midrange bump? The CU2 seems more laid back, a bit sedate, with good tonality. It is very listenable while less exciting or engaging in the AG2 kind of way. Decided to go with the AG2 XLR for the DS to ATC connection and am looking at using a CU2 on my desktop system (DS to Quad 12L actives). Worse comes to worse I can always switch them.

Paul McGowan said

Paul, Was that a response to my system description and preferences, or your more general observation, having listened to both? After messing with power cords and finding it difficult to come up with a good balance while using the Planus 2 S2 silver version, I’m thinking of taking a second comparative listen.

A little of both but leaning towards my preference. I haven’t used your speakers so I don’t have an opinion. In my traveling kit I have both silver and copper available to me and when we go to shows or do demonstrations I am prepared to use whatever combo works best and always resort to the copper with few exceptions.

Thanks, Paul. The rest of the system is a DSD, P5 and Oppo 203. Lee willing, I’m going to take another listen to the CU2, let it fully burn in this time.

Hi Paul,

Based on the information about speaker wires in this forum I am looking into MG Audio Design. Just curios I am also looking into MIT Speaker cables. Would you have any experience with them? BTW I am looking into adding your S300 power amp to my system and plan to upgrade my speaker wires at the same time.

I’m not Paul, but I have experience with MIT cables. I do not care for them as all I have heard add a great deal of coloration.