Pink Faun 2.16

I just took possession of my new top of the line Pink Faun 2.16 server, and it is an absolute revelation. I had been using their earlier model for a few years and while it worked fine, I was never in love with it - it did not blow the earlier multi media servers I had been using out of the water. To be honest, I had not experienced step change improvements between any of the servers I have been using for a decade. Then I traded it in for the 2.16 and this is an entirely different animal. Nothing in the CAPS evolution can hold a candle to it. Separation between instruments, air around the instruments, spacial cues, the works. Then entire audiophile lexicon applies. It runs Windows, so unlike the vast majority of other turn key servers you can run windows on it, allowing you to run Dirac live (not deployed yet - waiting for the new version coming out in 2 weeks). I am using it in MCH mode using their 8 channel I2S output card into a stack of 3 PS audio dacs.

6 Likes

Looks like nice stuff from their website…congrats!

With luck, mine will be here in 2-3 weeks. Jord says they burn them in on the bench for at least a week…

Some pictures of the replaceable CPU and system clocks. They’re working with Connor Winfield on low(er) phase noise clocks but they don’t have an estimate for production yet, see prototype measurements below. -130dBc/Hz@10Hz offset. Current OH200 are only -100dBc/Hz@10Hz offset. Only! http://www.conwin.com/datasheets/cx/cx193.pdf

1 Like

Did you purchase yours from the Netherlands, or is there a dealer in North America?

Bought direct. There is no dealer.

Yeah, this is like 3 guys. I also bought direct from Rehen, The Netherlands where their shop is…they have one dealer, also under the name Triple M in Poland.

They designed and built the Sound Galleries SGM 2015 for a shop in Monaco. I believe it was essentially their AV Streamer from ~2015 and sold for double what it costs direct. Its in Monaco, and I know when I’m there, with my crew, on my yacht, I don’t really care what it costs. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @brett66

Do you know what model CPU comes in the PF 2.16?

The website mentions 8 core but I’m not sure if it’s Intel or AMD and which specific model.

More-so asking for HQP Embedded CPU power reasons (up-sampling to DSD512, non-2s filters), than for Roon (although I use both).

Many thanks !

It’s got an AMD Ryzen 1700X. I have the I2S output board only so I’m limited to PCM 32/192 but I find I prefer allowing Ted’s code to do it thing unadulterated.

However, Roon is a whole new audio beast when feeding to HQPe for output. Highly recommended.

1 Like

Thanks Brett. I’m already using Roon + HQPe with an Intel NUC7i7DNHE.

I’m looking at the PF 2.16, not just for more grunt (to be able to do non-2s DSD512) but also significantly better USB audio output.

Thanks for the info on the CPU! Should be capable from a CPU perspective.

The engineering inside (for low noise everything) looks incredible! I’m sure it sounds incredible too.

I ran ROCK on a couple of different PCs and was quite pleased with the sound quality. Adding a Matrix 2 USB-I2S unit to separate the PC from the DAC took it to the next level. Yes, the PF is even better but it comes at a rather steep uplift, especially with USD to Euro exchange.

Jord is a wealth of knowledge but essentially a one-man communication team, so be patient. I would chat with him regarding the relative merits of USB and I2S. They prefer 3.3V logic vs. LVDS I2S that PSA uses but still believe it’s a better path than USB, and I think it is especially for the DS/DSjr. Get them to include one of their HDMI cables.

Either way, I strongly recommend the low phase noise clock upgrade on the IO board(s), and system and CPU if the money is not too tight. The power supply is the real improvement but the clocks are very good too. They are specifically not the ‘femto accurate over 10 years’ type rather exceedingly low phase noise type.

There’s a pretty good thread on Audiophilestyle (CA) that has some good info about a couple of guys builds, including mine. https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/43629-pink-faun-216/

Flkin did some rather intensive comparisons between PF 2.16 and Antipodes CX/EX dual setup in the past couple months, worth a read. He’s recently updated to the latest AudioLinux running solely in RAM…next level. I’m in the queue with Jord to update mine, but it’s not a do it yourself operation as the OS is completely replaced so it’s done together with him remote, of course.

Lastly, I would encourage you to try AudioLinux (AL) on your NUC, if you’re into tweaking…there’s another great thread on AL all about tuning AL. Ramroot and Extreme mode are the consensus best for improved sound quality regardless of hardware.

1 Like

Updating this post a year later. Still running the 2.16 with AL. I’ve learned a bunch about tuning AL and squeezing the last drops of SQ of out it.

The hardware remains impeccable.

2 Likes

Rhenen, The Netherlands :wink:

1 Like