Power Regen P3 Break In?

Returned home to the areas devastation. Not only did the family stay safe, but so did our home (more blessings)!!! No insurance claims to be made, but had 2 trees down in our yardā€¦compliments of our friendly next door neighbor! :wink:

Water utilities has slowly returned, but have no utility power (using our emergency generator) or internet service (using neighbors for the moment). Officials state 3-4 weeks (or longer) till AC repairs are completeā€¦Cell phone service is for emergency use only. Our parish (county) and next door neighbors power infrastructures sustained catastrophic destruction, so it all has to be rebuilt from the ground up.

Jamesh, looks like Iā€™ll need to take PSA up on a an extended P3 trial basesā€¦please (original trial ending 9-6-21). My 8KW generator is not an inverter type, so it does give some of my electronics fits (well over 5% THD)! Would this possibly be a good opportunity to test the P3 capabilities with dirty home AC delivery??? Or, should I wait for our municipal co-op energy to be turned back on and stabilized?

Ted

4 Likes

Glad to hear the family and home are safe!! No problem keeping the P3 longer. It is certainly worth giving it a shot with the generator. Iā€™ve heard some folks have luck and others can get some terrible noise no matter what.

1 Like

Great news, Ted!

Although it sounds like it is going to be a bit of a haul no matter what.

Let us know how the P3 fares.

2 Likes

Great news indeedā€¦

1 Like

10 days past Ida and no municipal power in sight. With my 8KW natural gas generator, attempted for 30 seconds to power my audio setup with the P3 regenerator, but the blue LED Output light would blink every 5 or so seconds, corresponding with a click from inside the unit. Spoke with TJ at PSA yesterday who stated the regenerators donā€™t tolerate some generator outputs (mineā€™s not an inverter), thus I should wait for my power companyā€™s infrastructure re-build to continue the P3 evaluation! :thinking: :frowning_face:

Ted

Dang, thatā€™s a bummer. I know Iā€™ve heard people have some trouble with them but I definitely thought it was at least worth a shot. Hopefully the utility goes back online soon!

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that, Theo. I know I would be very frustrated if I were in your shoes. Hope things go back to normal for you soon!

1 Like

Electricity back up! After initial 550 hours, the P3 is back on in the ā€œbreak-inā€ mode!!! :wink:

6 Likes

Good news Theoā€¦thanks for sharing!!

Best wishes!!

1 Like

The P3 is a well built and nice sounding regenerator unit. After a total of over 700 hours of playing music (thanks to PSA for the extended break-in period), it remains as I have described in post #31 above (with 400 hours of break-in time). To date, it has yet to equal or better the soundstage depth/height, spacial holographic focus/clarity and resolution that my previous conditioner brings to my synergistic components and room acoustics. Chris (sales) was very gracious for my listening efforts and very cordial, understanding and helpful with my request for an RMAā€¦thank you Chris!

Appears Iā€™m lucky to have a low distortion and steady/reliable voltage delivery from my local electric co-op service, thus a regeneratorā€™s function and virtues did not produce an audible improvement in My audio system! With other setups, another listening room and in another location, I understand the benefits a PSA regenerator can bring to a different situation! Time to give My system (especially the 33 yr old CD player) a long deserved ā€œbreak-inā€ restā€¦back to my normal weekly music programming!

Many thanks to PSA (Jamesh) for their generosity in allowing me the extra break-in trial time to discover if the P3 could meet my expectations! Also, I appreciate the assistance PSA Forum members offered me, both in working the P3 journey and the personal well-wishers support in dealing with our recent community weather challenges!!

Ted

3 Likes

Can a kind soul please tell me what size (AWG) power cord comes with the Stellar Power Plant P3?

Thanks.

12 gauge

Thanks Paul. @jamesh shared yesterday that it comes with a 14 AWG cord. Can you please confirm which is correct?

Hmmmm. James may be correct. I will check on Monday. For now, letā€™s go with James.

1 Like

Just get an aftermarket power cord with 12AWG or larger! any will sound better than the stock cord.

Agreed, the stock cable will get the unit running but I know few people that keep it. Almost everyone upgrades to something bigger. Specially for a regen.

And just checked with the guys in packing and it is 14AWG.

4 Likes

Thanks for confirming!