PS Audio AirLens

After you have the DSD2 honed up and anything you’ll have to post a photo of your system!

Will do! I’ll also post a photo of the secondary system once I move the Bryston there.
In the meantime – any suggestions on USB cables that won’t break the bank?

That’s super! I’m glad you took the leap. Have fun!

1 Like

Best way to go. Glad it was not hard. Good luck. Bryston is an excellent bridge.

1 Like

Welcome to the NUC R.O.C.K. society.

You won’t regret it.

5 Likes

New streamer from NAD, the CS1.

$349 USD

AirPlay 2
GoogleCast
Roon
Spotify Connect
Tidal Connect

Another variation of the Node 2i

Hardware, maybe, but it does not utilize BluOS. A NAD streamer without BluOS is like a Apple computer without MacOS.

Sorry if I’d be looking for a streamer without BluOS there are plenty of other choices. If NAD is starting a trend to abandon BluOS, it renders NAD into just another audio brand.

So if you want to upgrade your retro analog NAD amplifier/ receiver with a BluOS streaming device you have to buy BlueSound because the CS1 does not offer that feature. I just do not understand that strategy.

You got it I am very pleased with BluOS.

NAD appears to be comfortable with their position as the jack of all trades mid-level streaming device so this follows their pattern just like the Node. Cheap hardware to serve a particular market. This device seems aimed at people who are looking for an out of the box Roon endpoint or a replacement for the $39 Chromecast Audio device for multi-room streaming. And just like with the Node they threw in a less than $5 DAC board that nobody should ever use. If BluOS works for you that’s great but it doesn’t for a lot of people. I have had a Node in my system twice six years apart and nothing changed in that time period while the rest of the streaming companies moved on to better things. Again if you love it and it fits your needs then that’s a good thing.

2 Likes

I quite enjoy the NAD units being jack of all trades at a very good sound quality level. As far as I can tell, an electronics company can utilise a 5 ct DAC chip and make it sound like a 300-1000 $ unit by proper circuit design. I have never bothered about DAC chip types. PS Audio does that too with their Stellar models, they do not necessarily select the latest and most expensive chip, but one that they trust provides best sound in their circuit.
Streaming is for convenience listening, I know it sounds less than CD or Vinyl (in my system) but it sounds good enough for me to enjoy and makes the moments I bother to put on a CD or Vinyl Record just even more enjoyable.

2 Likes

I’ve a a Node 2i that I use for casual streaming to explore new releases and recommended albums. I sure didn’t purchase it because I expected it to be high end, but the BlueOS has worked without issue with Tidal and now Qobuz. I certainly was a step up from a MacBook Pro, iPad, or Mac mini, which is’t a heavy lift. I do agree the DAC in the Node 2i is a toss off. Lately I’ve been kicking around the idea on an Innuos Pulse or Pulse mini. Having a ZENith Mk3 I am familiar with the Innuos OS, and am content to do without Roon. Any suggestions on a streamer under $1500 are welcome. As the Air Lens has yet to hit the market it’s not a consideration for me.

1 Like

So it’s a less capable Wiim Pro at 2x+ the price?

No thank you NAD :slight_smile:

Okay, how much will Bridge Box and AirLens cost if they ever get released? Capability? Let’s be consistent here. It’s $349 and has Airplay, Roon, Tidal and Spotify connect. And it’s real - not vaporware. Will compete with iFi Zen stream I imagine, though I’d go for the iFi.

Bridge Box and AL will support more formats. DSD for example up to 256 or whatever.

There always compromises.

They’re not real products yet. Parts shortages, right? Yet all these other streamers are released to market every day. Not making predictions here though others have, but let’s see what the actual products are if/when they’re ever released

2 Likes

True. I decided not to wait any longer for an AL, BB etc. Am going to use a Holo Red. Pretty sure it’ll be perfectly adequate especially when paired with the DSD Mk2.

Plus it has Airplay!!! To keep the wife happy

3 Likes

Agreed. Airplay would be hard to live without. No way I’m passing my personal iPad to my buddies when they come over and want to play something on the system after a few cold ones, or catering/waiting on them one after another. My use case for the feature isn’t one or two other audiophiles wanting to critically listen, it’s 5-6 rowdies after softball or hockey that just want to drink and have their favorite tunes cranked

1 Like

I owned some NAD pieces when I was younger and they were good. But this unit seems very limited (granted, low price): no USB out, no DSD, limited to 24-bit/192kHz PCM. The list of supported formats omits FLAC, which most of my files are. The iFi Zan Stream does up to DSD 512 via USB.

Agree. iFi zen stream is amazing product for $400 by all accounts.

1 Like

Have you been able to independently VERIFY the Red’s I2S output compatibility with PSA DAC I2S inputs?

Curiously yours.

1 Like